Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RIP Fuel Pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ed_Turbo
Well guys, I have a cool story to tell.

So I get a call telling me the 914 is leaking gas and is dripping on the floor. So, I rushed over and I see a puddle dripping. Disconnected the negatve terminal and looked under to see where it was dripping from. Mice chewed a hose? Strange...

Popped the hood and took out the fuel pump and is leaking. Could not take a pic of the leaky pump as my hands were covered in fuel. Here are some picks of the aftermath:

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Looks like the brown outlet side where the +- is where the gas was running out.

In case you did not know, I was recently having fuel pump issues. I am not sure if the fuel pump was the problem...well this is something not expected lol-2.gif

This was the original 20+ year old pump when I started restoring the car. Wonder if modern fuel additives broke the seal?

-Ed
worn
Doesn’t look like a stock fuel filter. Is the pump for a 914? assume it is but wondering
Dave_Darling
No, that's all stock...

--DD
TheCabinetmaker
Absolutely stock! On the 75/76 models. Bosch replacement is available at napa.
Mikey914
I've seen more failures of the hose lately. Summer means higher ethanol levels, unfortunately the rubber braded fuel hose that is available will succumb to degradation at these levels much faster. We have stopped selling it and went to regular high pressure fuel line. I highly recommend replacing yours if you have it. Pretty easy to tell if you pop the front trunk fuel pump plate. Worth at least inspecting. Take about 30 min if you have stuff in the front trunk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.