Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: front end set up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JFG
i'm at the finishing point with my car and now that i've taken it around the block a couple of times it seems very soft when driving. however its very firm when pushing down on the wings at standstill. my car also has a front torsion bar on the second firmest setting with all new bushings fitted.

what are the front ends meant to be like on a road set up?

finally, i have a clicking in the steering when driving but nothing when i jack it up to try and trace, any ideas on this? the steering has new lemforder turbo tie rods fitted.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(JFG @ Aug 27 2018, 11:40 AM) *

i'm at the finishing point with my car and now that i've taken it around the block a couple of times it seems very soft when driving. however its very firm when pushing down on the wings at standstill. my car also has a front torsion bar on the second firmest setting with all new bushings fitted.

what are the front ends meant to be like on a road set up?

finally, i have a clicking in the steering when driving but nothing when i jack it up to try and trace, any ideas on this? the steering has new lemforder turbo tie rods fitted.

Do you mean sway bar?
JFG
yes, sway bar
Mblizzard
What is the condition of your shocks? Compared to the weight of a car changing directions and traveling over bumps, pushing down on a car does really give a lot of usable feedback.

Did you remove the torsion bars? There is a process for installing them correctly to ensure they provide the correct torsion.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 27 2018, 01:20 PM) *

What is the condition of your shocks? Compared to the weight of a car changing directions and traveling over bumps, pushing down on a car does really give a lot of usable feedback.

Did you remove the torsion bars? There is a process for installing them correctly to ensure they provide the correct torsion.

Just like coil springs, torsion bars only really change the height, the spring rate (torsion) won’t change. The suspension might bottom out if set to low or make the front end sit up to high but adjustments to the torsion bar won’t change stiffness.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 27 2018, 09:43 AM) *

Just like coil springs, torsion bars only really change the height, the spring rate (torsion) won’t change. The suspension might bottom out if set to low or make the front end sit up to high but adjustments to the torsion bar won’t change stiffness.

Much better said! I set mine too low and they bottomed out.
Mark Henry

Also the rubber bushings for the springs can seize and make the front end hard as a rock. This doesn't sound like your issue, but doing them in my 914 was a night/day difference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.