Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: intermittent starter not turning issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rosenfe
On my 74 2.0,when turning key ,power turns on,red and green lights come on,but starter will not turn.Jumping starter directly engages starter and it will continue to engage starter for a day or so and then no engagement.Car is in good shape,wires to starter look good and are tight.

Any suggestions.would this be a good candidate for mark henry relay?.Battery is good,starter works well.
North Coast Jim
Had the very same issue after a complete rebuild of the car. It wasn't a hot start issue sometimes it just wouldn't start. New red top battery checked good.

Found Mark Henry's relay addition and all is well since. Can't hurt either unless your a concours car. Do it !!
Triaddave
The same problem on my 75 car, turned out to be ignition switch where key goes in. It was a $40.00 ish part. The steering wheel,turn/wiper stuff all comes out,cir-clip too all to get to the hidden screw. not as hard as it sounds. it fixed my car in about 1/2 hour
Mark Henry
The stock bosch solenoid needs a full 9v to kick in, likely due to old wiring, corrosion, resistance you're not getting a full 9v.
Likely my fix will solve the issue, but you should still clean all your grounds, terminals, connections, etc.

Link at the bottom of my signature.
rosenfe
I will try relay first. Replacing switch is more work.I have done it several times.
rosenfe
My starter has 2 yellow wiires going to seperate Jacks. Mark Henry’s pics show onlyone yellow. Anyone know what to do with that second wire and hooking up relay
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.