Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What happened here? Exhaust port damage...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larss
Just opened a -73 2.0 engine, unknown history, should be some 7.000 miles on it.

No 3 and 4 exhaust ports have a similar damage in almost the same location, looks like someone made one hit it whith a chisel or maybe its an exhaust leak (exhaust gaskets seems a bit burned)
Does not look like a crack going further in the metal.

What is it and what should I do about it?

/Lars S

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
sixnotfour
somebody used a chisel to remove the previous copper gasket..
TheCabinetmaker
That was caused by a screwdriver or chisel when someone pryed out the old gaskets or cut them in half to remove them
larss
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Aug 27 2018, 07:09 PM) *

That was caused by a screwdriver or chisel when someone pryed out the old gaskets or cut them in half to remove them

Thanks that sounds likely!
Is there anything I can do to improve the sealing?...I guess these notches made the copper seals burn a bit and maybe will cause a leak in the future.

/Lars S
TheCabinetmaker
You could have someone weld them, then dress them. Not sure that jb weld would hold up to the heat
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Aug 27 2018, 01:03 PM) *

You could have someone weld them, then dress them. Not sure that jb weld would hold up to the heat

agree.gif

Only fix for this DAPO repair is to weld them up. Fortunately, this is a small weld and should be easy for an experienced TIG operator.

Once welded, you can use a dremel and a light touch to clean up the port.

McMark
I'd just get AAPistons reproduction heads before spending money on used heads.

But I see you're in Sweden, so with shipping and taxes it may not be worth it.
Mblizzard
I have seen this in several heads. I think this is from people using a chisel to essentially stake the copper gasket into the head. Why I don't know!

As a tip, while you can use grease and such to hold them a bit, I take a small se of wire cutters and pinch out small "V"s around the outside of the copper ring. It only takes about 4 or 5 and you can firmly seat it and even move the exchanger around with out dislodging it.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Aug 28 2018, 10:11 AM) *

I have seen this in several heads. I think this is from people using a chisel to essentially stake the copper gasket into the head. Why I don't know!

As a tip, while you can use grease and such to hold them a bit, I take a small se of wire cutters and pinch out small "V"s around the outside of the copper ring. It only takes about 4 or 5 and you can firmly seat it and even move the exchanger around with out dislodging it.

good tip that's what I just did,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.