Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel sender and gauge match?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dgraves
So, here's one. When I bought the car it it had a 911 instrument dash in the 1974 2.0 914. (Not interested in changing to 914 dash.) Everything looks and works good except...

The 911 fuel gauge doesn't seem to coordinate well with my fuel sender, which is relatively new. I get more miles in the first half (Full to 1/2) than I do in the lower half of the gauge (1/2 to warning light coming on).

Is this because the gauge is for a 911 and the sender is for the 914? (I'd also like to know why I run out of gas at about 13.6 gallons. Should be a ~16 gal tank...right?

Many thanks.

Dan

914forme
As far as I know they both use the same Ohm range for the sender and gauge. They are easy enough to replace just pop the gauge out, mark all the wires, remove 4 screws, and install a 914 one if you need to. I see no reason to do so, unless it is defective. You can test with open wire and a 90 ohm resistor. Open wire your Empty, with 90 Ohm resister you should be pegged full.

Pull the sender out and see if it moves, then can get gunked up and not functioning well, easy enough to fix.

Tank should hold 16.4 gallons of fuel.

worn
QUOTE(dgraves @ Aug 27 2018, 05:59 PM) *

So, here's one. When I bought the car it it had a 911 instrument dash in the 1974 2.0 914. (Not interested in changing to 914 dash.) Everything looks and works good except...

The 911 fuel gauge doesn't seem to coordinate well with my fuel sender, which is relatively new. I get more miles in the first half (Full to 1/2) than I do in the lower half of the gauge (1/2 to warning light coming on).

Is this because the gauge is for a 911 and the sender is for the 914? (I'd also like to know why I run out of gas at about 13.6 gallons. Should be a ~16 gal tank...right?

Many thanks.

Dan

You have a 16 gallon tank? Does the reserve warning light go on when the fuel runs low? I had the idea that the senders were pretty linear, but now I wonder. popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(worn @ Aug 27 2018, 06:21 PM) *
Does the reserve warning light go on when the fuel runs low?

My fuel light comes on at around 12.5 gallons and i doubt i still have another 3.5 gallons in the tank at that point.
idea.gif
Dave_Darling
Andy, when you fill up, is it just until the pump clicks off? Or do you fill until you can see fuel in the filler neck? Modern gas station pumps don't fill a 914 tank more than about 3/4 full unless you spend a lot of time f***ing with it.

--DD
dgraves
QUOTE(914forme @ Aug 27 2018, 07:21 PM) *

As far as I know they both use the same Ohm range for the sender and gauge. They are easy enough to replace just pop the gauge out, mark all the wires, remove 4 screws, and install a 914 one if you need to. I see no reason to do so, unless it is defective. You can test with open wire and a 90 ohm resistor. Open wire your Empty, with 90 Ohm resister you should be pegged full.

Pull the sender out and see if it moves, then can get gunked up and not functioning well, easy enough to fix.

Tank should hold 16.4 gallons of fuel.

Thanks, Stephen. I thought it should be 16.4, but can never get it beyond 13.6ish even if I get the gas within visual to the top. I'll check the Ohm range.
dgraves
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 27 2018, 07:28 PM) *

QUOTE(worn @ Aug 27 2018, 06:21 PM) *
Does the reserve warning light go on when the fuel runs low?

My fuel light comes on at around 12.5 gallons and i doubt i still have another 3.5 gallons in the tank at that point.
idea.gif

Andy, the fuel light comes on around 12.5, but I can never get more than about 13.6ish gals in the tank even when bone dry and I get the gas within visual to the top.

In the mid-80's I owned a 70 carberatored 1.7 that would get almost 400 miles per tank. Now, my 1974 2.0 FI gets about 300 miles per tank...about 22-25 miles per gallon. Something feels weird.
Chris914n6
I'm fairly sure the sender is linear, but the tank obviously is not. The question is, is the gauge calibrated for the shrinking tank volume, which would be different for the 911 too.

I think the 914 gauge would be more accurate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.