Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB: Early bumper RE-CHROMING / Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
ValcoOscar
I have a special group discount offered but I need a few more bumpers aside from mine. Right now I have 9…need a few more.

Two members are already bringing me theirs. Anyone else?
FYI..before I send them in I pressure wash, bake, bead blast & re-tap M8 mounting holes.

Chrome shop is offering:

Option #1 Straight flash and triple chrome= $350.00/ea

Option #2 Minor dents (up to 3) and hole fill in of bumper tit holes (if requested) = $375.00/ea

Option #3 Other moderate repairs within reason, also triple chromed= $400.00/ea

That is for either Front or Rear.

I engrave a two digit number on the backside mounting bracket to ensure you get your original bumper back, I can do initials too, if requested.

I need 50% deposit.
Taking them to chrome 9/14/18 so get them here ASAP.
Please allow leadtime of 3-4 weeks, perhaps sooner
PM me for shipping address

Please remove all grills, plugs and other hardware prior to shipping in bumpers.

Oscar

PLEASE BEAR WITH ME...Chrome shop is taking a bit longer than expected!!!

Almost done with this GB beerchug.gif

Late arrivals added....

Click to view attachment
JmuRiz
Wow, I should have sent mine back home with you at the Jim meet-up biggrin.gif
Steve
I would be in for this, except I’m driving to Rennsport at the end of September. Bad timing...
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Steve @ Aug 28 2018, 09:20 AM) *

I would be in for this, except I’m driving to Rennsport at the end of September. Bad timing...

Steve-

No excuses...I have a mint rechromed rear I can loan you.

Let me know
mepstein
Oscar, I’m in for a front and rear. Please send me your address. Thanks for taking this on. Mark
BeatNavy
Hi Oscar - I'm interested for a front and a rear. I need to take a look at them and assess where they stand in terms of requiring repairs. I can do that this evening.

Thanks!
ValcoOscar
Great Rob & Mark

I can cover return shipping for you two or anyone else shipping in 2 or more.

My way of paying it forward and thanking you all.

This is the first time my Chrome shop offered me such discount.
It pays to be a good customer beer3.gif

Oscar

Dion
Oscar I have a front and rear to be done proper, count me in. Maybe I can ship with Mark. I’ll contact him.
DRPHIL914
I am in for a front, its a bit rough but is straight, currently on my car - its the one I got from Noel, and the bumper guards from another member close to you(Nacho). I think it has some small tap spots that are under the bumper guard but no rust or major dents. If its not over $400, its a go. My last bumper was just done by a company in Tennessee and they charged $475 and it was straight with no dents, so this seems to be a good deal to me. I will have to get it in the mail to you asap,
Count me in.

Philip
mepstein
Which is better to send for chrome, a bumper that needs dents knocked out or one that is pretty straight but rusty (chrome is peeling off and base metal is pitted). They are both early fronts so I don’t have other choices.

I got Dion covered.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 28 2018, 12:36 PM) *

I am in for a front, its a bit rough but is straight, currently on my car - its the one I got from Noel, and the bumper guards from another member close to you(Nacho). I think it has some small tap spots that are under the bumper guard but no rust or major dents. If its not over $400, its a go. My last bumper was just done by a company in Tennessee and they charged $475 and it was straight with no dents, so this seems to be a good deal to me. I will have to get it in the mail to you asap,
Count me in.

Philip

Send me a few photos but you should be fine. Both Noel and Nacho (Master metal finisher) are friends of mine.

Send to: ovalerio23@gmail.com

Thx

Oscar
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 28 2018, 12:38 PM) *

Which is better to send for chrome, a bumper that needs dents knocked out or one that is pretty straight but rusty (chrome is peeling off and base metal is pitted). They are both early fronts so I don’t have other choices.

I got Dion covered.

Less pits, the better...typical surface rust, dents, and holes are easy. I'll hold straight re-chrome $350 for you.

Oscar
rasam
I'm in for 2 for sure Oscar, maybe 4.
ValcoOscar
These are all $350 candidates.

Click to view attachment
BeatNavy
Ok, I've pulled the bumpers out - front is in pretty darn good shape. The rear is going to at least need the "3 dent / 1 spot fill" add-on.

I'll send you pics, Oscar, and see if I can get the address then. Ok, I need to find a box and get these out next week pinch.gif

Thanks!
nditiz1
I feel like I need to go buy a set of used ones so I can get in on this awesome deal. Even more so since the parts car I own has Bubs(75)
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Aug 28 2018, 02:14 PM) *

I feel like I need to go buy a set of used ones so I can get in on this awesome deal. Even more so since the parts car I own has Bubs(75)

Same goes for you Nick...send me a set, return shipping on me!!! beerchug.gif

Oscar
ValcoOscar
Noel has a few bumpers that qualify for Option #2.

I can handle logistics, he wants $100/ea

Let me know,

Oscar

Click to view attachment
BeatNavy
Wow, those rears look better, most likely, than the one I just popped in the mail to you. If those are still available when mine gets there, it may make sense to use one of those! biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Aug 28 2018, 06:27 PM) *

Let me know,

Oscar

Rears are low hanging fruit. It's finding early fronts that are the challenge.
Chris914n6
I've got an early rear that's kinda rough. Can I send you big pics and get your opinion if it meets the criteria?
mb911
I would be in on this if I had some bumpers.. Darn it.. Next time
913B
Whats the best way to ship, wrap it up or in a cardboard box ?

Can someone share typical shipping cost ??

Thanks in advance.
Shadowfax
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Aug 28 2018, 06:44 PM) *

Thanks in advance.

I sent mine in a cardboard box to a place in TN and it was around $85. They don’t weigh much but you will get a surcharge for an oversized box.

This is a great deal on repairing and rechroming bumpers. I’m paying $475 each plus shipping for mine.
mepstein
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Aug 28 2018, 07:44 PM) *

Thanks in advance.

I’ve found the easiest way is to go to a ski shop, get a snowboard box and ask them if they will ship for you. Should be $30-40 depending on location.

Except for a ski shop, I have not been able to find an off the shelf box that works. Most of the shipping companies like fedex only have 4’ boxes.

Since I’m shipping Dion’s and mine, I will buy 4 or 5 heavy duty medium boxes at Lowe’s or Home Depot, slide the open boxes into each other to make a long box and tape them together. I should be able to get all 4 bumpers in.
Morph914
Oscar,
I should be in for two as well, I need to check mine tomorrow to see if the condition is as good as I remember. I'll get back to you.

Cheers,
John
Nacho
Wow! that's an awesome deal Oscar. I wish I had the cash but current my 914 fund cash is going to towards my engine. maybe next time.

Nacho
A.K.A Master Metal Finisher (allegedly) lol-2.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 28 2018, 04:05 PM) *

I've got an early rear that's kinda rough. Can I send you big pics and get your opinion if it meets the criteria?

Sure

Ovalerio23@gmail.com

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Aug 28 2018, 04:29 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 28 2018, 12:36 PM) *

Count me in.

Philip

Send me a few photos but you should be fine. Both Noel and Nacho (Master metal finisher) are friends of mine.

Send to: ovalerio23@gmail.com

Thx

Oscar

will do
913B
Thanks to everyone that replied about shipping. But I wonder if the local Dicks would carry snowboards in middle of Texas. huh.gif blink.gif
I wonder if I can just wrap it up in bubble wrap and heavy wrapping paper ? idea.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(porsche913b_sp @ Aug 28 2018, 11:08 PM) *

Thanks to everyone that replied about shipping. But I wonder if the local Dicks would carry snowboards in middle of Texas. huh.gif blink.gif
I wonder if I can just wrap it up in bubble wrap and heavy wrapping paper ? idea.gif

That used to work at Fedex but not any more.

You could probably make a box with some boxes from a bike shop. They generate a lot of cardboard so they are usually happy to give the boxes away.
bdstone914
Go dumpster diving at a bicycle shop. Standard bike boxes are 8 x 26 x 54-56 inches.
Front and rear bumpers will fit in one box. The box can be cut down in height. Check the shipping rates with USPS and Fedex. Might be cheaper to pack fronts in a different box. The fronts are about 12" deep and can hit the ballooned rate. I have shipped a rear bumper over seas but the front is over the 130 total length and girth limit of USPS.
Bruce
DRPHIL914
i have been using UPS ground for both the last 2 bumper shipping i did and the 993 seats i sold which got packed into a Home Depot 48" wardrobe box, both were cheaper than fedex.
My bumper that shipped from SC to TN was $50(a front one) they charged me the same $50 to ship back. The bumper i just sold to a member here in Mexico was $117 base but $180 total due to extra fees, but that was boxed up with extra padding , ended up right at 25# total. I expect to pay between $50-70 to ship to CA from SC. depends on the valuation but its only like an extra $1 per hundred for insurance , at least with UPS ground. Could save an extra 15% or so by having an account too.

Where do we ship these to Oscar?

Phil
914bub
As stated in another thread here recently, if you go Fedex open an account, it will be cheaper.
Morph914
Oscar,
I have a front and rear bumper packaged and ready to go, just need the shipping address.
I ended up making my own box, it ain't pretty but it will work.

Cheers,
JohnClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Morph914 @ Aug 29 2018, 12:52 PM) *

Oscar,
I have a front and rear bumper packaged and ready to go, just need the shipping address.
I ended up making my own box, it ain't pretty but it will work.

Cheers,

Nice job....PM sent

Oscar
tyfighter123

Hey Oscar, I'll take 2 of the rears and have them refinished. Are there any fronts that I can buy?

In total I would like 2sets.

Let me know and thanks for putting this together.

Tyler

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 28 2018, 04:50 PM) *

Let me know,

Oscar

ValcoOscar
Cool...I'll get you two rears @ $100/ea + $350/ea to like new condition.

I currently don't have any fronts, but if you find them local to me I'll pick them up.

I'll PM you later tonight.

Oscar

QUOTE(tyfighter123 @ Aug 29 2018, 02:41 PM) *

Hey Oscar, I'll take 2 of the rears and have them refinished. Are there any fronts that I can buy?

Tyler

Let me know,

Oscar

tyfighter123
Awesome thank you!

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Aug 29 2018, 03:48 PM) *

Cool...I'll get you two rears @ $100/ea + $350/ea to like new condition.

I currently don't have any fronts, but if you find them local to me I'll pick them up.

I'll PM you later tonight.

Oscar

QUOTE(tyfighter123 @ Aug 29 2018, 02:41 PM) *

Tyler

Let me know,

Oscar

tyfighter123
Does anyone close to Oscar have any fronts for sale?

Tyler
Chris914n6
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Aug 28 2018, 06:56 PM) *

Sure

Ovalerio23@gmail.com

Not as nice as I remembered, lots of bumpy rust. It's only hope is to be pretty again is painted.

Were you blasting to remove chrome? If so, I'd like to know how.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Aug 29 2018, 03:04 PM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Aug 28 2018, 06:56 PM) *

Sure

Ovalerio23@gmail.com

Not as nice as I remembered, lots of bumpy rust. It's only hope is to be pretty again is painted.

Were you blasting to remove chrome? If so, I'd like to know how.

If you want, I can re-blast, repair, seal, prime and epoxy paint satin black like mine. these were in similar condition. $175 special piratenanner.gif

PM me if interested...oddly, I went from chrome to black recently.

Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
I am driving up to Sacramento from OC Saturday returning Sunday afternoon.

Picking up some 914 parts and bringing back a set of bumpers from MarkHoward for re-chroming. Saves shipping one way.

Anyone else?

driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

Oscar
ndfrigi
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Aug 29 2018, 03:42 PM) *

Picking up some 914 parts and bringing back a set of bumpers from MarkHoward for re-chroming. Saves shipping one way.

Anyone else?

Oscar

Wow Sir Oscar that is too nice of you doing a lot of help to the members! Good job sir!
carl k
Are you going straight shot up I-5 to Sacramento and return? Or any other stops planned?

-Carl

ValcoOscar
QUOTE(carl k @ Aug 29 2018, 04:25 PM) *

Are you going straight shot up I-5 to Sacramento and return? Or any other stops planned?

-Carl

Up 99...I can meet up on the way back Sunday PM.

PM me

914_7T3
QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Aug 29 2018, 04:20 PM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Aug 29 2018, 03:42 PM) *

Anyone else?

Oscar

Wow Sir Oscar that is too nice of you doing a lot of help to the members! Good job sir!

smilie_pokal.gif
banananose914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Aug 28 2018, 07:43 AM) *

I have a special group discount offered but I need a few more bumpers aside from mine. Right now I have 9…need a few more.

Two members are already bringing me theirs. Anyone else?
FYI..before I send them in I pressure wash, bake, bead blast & re-tap M8 mounting holes.

Chrome shop is offering:

Option #1 Straight flash and triple chrome= $350.00/ea

Option #2 Minor dents (up to 3) and hole fill in of bumper tit holes (if requested) = $375.00/ea

Option #3 Other moderate repairs within reason, also triple chromed= $400.00/ea

That is for either Front or Rear.

I engrave a two digit number on the backside mounting bracket to ensure you get your original bumper back, I can do initials too, if requested.

I need 50% deposit.
Taking them to chrome week of 9/10.
Please allow leadtime of 3-4 weeks, perhaps sooner
PM me for shipping address

Please remove all grills, plugs and other hardware prior to shipping in bumpers.

Greg PayPal Deposit Rec'd (one) Bumper #G34
Nacho Paid in full (two) Bumpers #N16 & #N17

Oscar

Hey Oscar. Great gesture. I’m interested in having you chrome Cairo’s rear bumper. I’ll PM you. Thanks, Jim.
rgolia
I would love to do this but don’t have spare bumpers and there is no way I am giving up the little driving time I have left this season now that car is back on the road. Any chance of a winter run of these?
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(rgolia @ Aug 30 2018, 02:24 AM) *

I would love to do this but don’t have spare bumpers and there is no way I am giving up the little driving time I have left this season now that car is back on the road. Any chance of a winter run of these?

I can perhaps do that, I'll let experience of this run help me decide.
Discounts from any ligitimant chrome shop are hard to come by, so can't guarantee same pricing.

aktion035.gif

Oscar

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.