Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RSR VI 914 Corral Pass
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AZBanks
Ever the optimist, I bought a 914 corral pass for my son's 914.

It's not going to make it out of the shop soon enough to drive to RSR VI.

Which means that I will have a RSR VI 914 corral pass and no 914 to use it on.

I could try to sell it...

NNAAAAAH!!!!

I'm going to give it away.

If you want a RSR VI 914 corral pass, post in this thread why I should give it to you.

I'll pick the winner Sept. 16 and send it out on Sept. 17th to the lucky winner.

Rules???
There are none.
How I am I picking a winner???
I don't know. confused24.gif

Tell me a compelling/sob story, you might win. first.gif
Do something really nice for the 914world community or a specific 914world member, you might win. smilie_pokal.gif
Give me a pristine running 914/6 and/or $1,000,000 and you are very likely to win. aktion035.gif

Whomever touches my cold, shriveled heart and warped mind screwy.gif the most wins.

Mueller
Trade a general corral pass for it. smile.gif

I don't think my 914 will be ready in time as well. 4 day weekend so we'll see how much progress I can make on it. Still going to go if the car isn't ready.
EdwardBlume
How cool. You're awesome!

I'll give it shot....

Tomorrow I am taking my 914/6 conversion to be completed at a shop in Campbell. Its an Alaska Blue Metallic 74 converted to steel flares and 73.5 2.4. Almost every part on it is new.

I bought it disassembled 4+ years ago and have slowly, too slowly been putting it together. I had it 90% completed 2+ years ago when i lost my job. It was hard. After 25 years of doing the same thing, I wanted to do something different. I applied, talked to people, networked, talked to more people, networked, came very close but didn't land a job, for 2 years. My wife makes nothing working for the public schools, so things were tough.

During that time, in the first week after losing my job, I got hit by a car on my bike (hit and run). I was OK, but it felt like a curse. A year later my 11 year old son was run over in front of his school by a lady who drove through a crossing guard, a stop sign, and hit him in the crosswalk. His injury has taken 9 months of physical therapy and a ton of work to get him back to 80%. We are still going for 100%.

Everything took us away from the car understandably. All during this I was working as a contractor doing regulatory work, but getting slammed by medical bills, insurance, and having to take care of my son. We had to scratch month after month, so the car meant zero. I've thought about just selling it 1000 times but my wife refused.

We discovered life in less. We found time to ring the bell as a family for Christmas for the Salvation Army. We didn't have as many presents, and we went no where like the other families. With less for Christmas, we rediscovered that we had so much more.

My wife and my 20th wedding anniversary came and went last May and we went no where. She understood. I've learned how important it is to love your wife in good times, and otherwise. I'm a lucky man. She wants me to build another 914 tribute to my Dad. That's another story. My goal is to take her back to Maui, she deserves it.

Things started turning around in July. We got my son a second hand drum kit to give him something to do while he was out of sports. He started a rock band with his friends (they are 11). The drums got him stronger and he was able to rejoin the swim team and build confidence. He couldn't jump in from the blocks but started in the pool, having to fight to make up a body length in every race. Most races he took 1st or 2nd or 3rd. In the finals, he took 11th overall (vs last year 3rd), he is working to get it back. He's riding his bike to and from school again.

He also spent more time with scouts and has advanced 3 ranks in 1 year. Other parents have been happy to see he's no longer the kid on crutches and a boot limping everywhere. I became a volunteer and have to wear a BSA monkey suit now.

I start next week my new job where I'm doing the same work I've been doing as a contractor except now its for twice the money and some benefits. No more covered CA and $400 ear drops. Since Summer, I've been working 40 hours on contract vs 30 hours and have gotten a little ahead. We are buying clothes for school again, and filling in deferred maintenance.

The strange thing is, over the past two years I have been "available" for all kinds of things from helping the local Salvation Army with a shelter project, to helping neighbors, driving the kids to field trips, and even helping do a tribute for a WWII vet.

Two weeks ago, I decided that I was going to go to RRVI and that somehow I would make it into the corral. I also decided to go to my 30th HS reunion, and we are going to see Def Leppard / Journey in SF with his band.

After being at RRV without a 914 last time, and promising to come back with one, I wanted to do this, but in reality it is my son who wants it. He's in love with the car collecting dust in the garage for as long as he can remember.

We were polishing it and waxing it last night together, got it registered and insured, and it will go on a trailer tonight for its trip to the shop to get done. The sad part is, it only needs a distributor fix, an alternator, and some other minor things... at least hopefully.

I asked him, so what's your favorite car?
A: 914.
Color?
A: Blue
Dad's car (Olympic)?
A: No.
The ABM?
A: what's an ABM
Alaska Blue Metallic
A: Yeah, I want a car like that...
You mean this one...
A: Yeah

Going to RRVI symbolizes getting back something we lost, but in reality, I've picked up so much more. I'm closer to my son, a job and making money means so much less, time is a factor, and I'll never regret a day with my kids before they are gone.

Thanks.

Here's a pict of Buddy and the car this AM:
914_teener
Because mine runs and is original

and in my hands will be its last event.

So simple sentimental appeal.

Rob
MartyYeoman
Wow! This is a real "Queen for a day" thread. Best of luck to you all. popcorn[1].gif
Kansas 914
And you will be in very good company (RSK and Carrera GT near by).

Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Aug 29 2018, 06:05 AM) *

I'll give it shot....

Tomorrow I am taking my 914/6 conversion to be completed at a shop in Campbell. Its an Alaska Blue Metallic 74 converted to steel flares and 73.5 2.4. Almost every part on it is new.

I bought it disassembled 4+ years ago and have slowly, too slowly been putting it together. I had it 90% completed 2+ years ago when i lost my job. It was hard. After 25 years of doing the same thing, I wanted to do something different. I applied, talked to people, networked, talked to more people, networked, came very close but didn't land a job, for 2 years. My wife makes nothing working for the public schools, so things were tough.

During that time, in the first week after losing my job, I got hit by a car on my bike (hit and run). I was OK, but it felt like a curse. A year later my 11 year old son was run over in front of his school by a lady who drove through a crossing guard, a stop sign, and hit him in the crosswalk. His injury has taken 9 months of physical therapy and a ton of work to get him back to 80%. We are still going for 100%.

Everything took us away from the car understandably. All during this I was working as a contractor doing regulatory work, but getting slammed by medical bills, insurance, and having to take care of my son. We had to scratch month after month, so the car meant zero. I've thought about just selling it 1000 times but my wife refused.

We discovered life in less. We found time to ring the bell as a family for Christmas for the Salvation Army. We didn't have as many presents, and we went no where like the other families. With less for Christmas, we rediscovered that we had so much more.

My wife and my 20th wedding anniversary came and went last May and we went no where. She understood. I've learned how important it is to love your wife in good times, and otherwise. I'm a lucky man. She wants me to build another 914 tribute to my Dad. That's another story. My goal is to take her back to Maui, she deserves it.

Things started turning around in July. We got my son a second hand drum kit to give him something to do while he was out of sports. He started a rock band with his friends (they are 11). The drums got him stronger and he was able to rejoin the swim team and build confidence. He couldn't jump in from the blocks but started in the pool, having to fight to make up a body length in every race. Most races he took 1st or 2nd or 3rd. In the finals, he took 11th overall (vs last year 3rd), he is working to get it back. He's riding his bike to and from school again.

He also spent more time with scouts and has advanced 3 ranks in 1 year. Other parents have been happy to see he's no longer the kid on crutches and a boot limping everywhere. I became a volunteer and have to wear a BSA monkey suit now.

I start next week my new job where I'm doing the same work I've been doing as a contractor except now its for twice the money and some benefits. No more covered CA and $400 ear drops. Since Summer, I've been working 40 hours on contract vs 30 hours and have gotten a little ahead. We are buying clothes for school again, and filling in deferred maintenance.

The strange thing is, over the past two years I have been "available" for all kinds of things from helping the local Salvation Army with a shelter project, to helping neighbors, driving the kids to field trips, and even helping do a tribute for a WWII vet.

Two weeks ago, I decided that I was going to go to RRVI and that somehow I would make it into the corral. I also decided to go to my 30th HS reunion, and we are going to see Def Leppard / Journey in SF with his band.

After being at RRV without a 914 last time, and promising to come back with one, I wanted to do this, but in reality it is my son who wants it. He's in love with the car collecting dust in the garage for as long as he can remember.

We were polishing it and waxing it last night together, got it registered and insured, and it will go on a trailer tonight for its trip to the shop to get done. The sad part is, it only needs a distributor fix, an alternator, and some other minor things... at least hopefully.

Color?
Dad's car (Olympic)?
The ABM?
Alaska Blue Metallic
You mean this one...

Going to RRVI symbolizes getting back something we lost, but in reality, I've picked up so much more. I'm closer to my son, a job and making money means so much less, time is a factor, and I'll never regret a day with my kids before they are gone.

Thanks.

That is such a great story (where you are now) I hope that distributor situation goes well.
EdwardBlume
thanks, its in good hands...
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Aug 29 2018, 07:05 AM) *

I'll give it shot....

Color?
Dad's car (Olympic)?
The ABM?
Alaska Blue Metallic
You mean this one...

Thanks.

ABM...all this time I'm thinking Anti Ballistic Missile ¡
thumb3d.gif
AZBanks
Edward and Buddy are the leading contenders for the pass at this point. Anyone else want to jump into the contest?
wes
QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Aug 30 2018, 01:13 PM) *

Is that Don’s shop?
Larmo63
Edward wins.
wes
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 5 2018, 09:26 PM) *

Edward wins.

agree.gif in fact I believe he should quit his job and take up writing for a career.
pete000
Wow, only 12 Carrera GTs I was expecting more...lol
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(wes @ Sep 5 2018, 09:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Edward Blume @ Aug 30 2018, 01:13 PM) *

Is that Don’s shop?

Yep. Don and I go way back to 1997 when he pulled a foot long lizard out of Dad's car. Rolf is working on it too.
jmitro
I vote for Edward Blume to win.

great looking car, too!
Matty900
I think EdwardBlume Should win this However if for some reason he is not able to attend I need a pass and was just trying to work one out with Rennsport. PM sent.
914_7T3
QUOTE(jmitro @ Sep 6 2018, 04:25 AM) *

I vote for Edward Blume to win.

great looking car, too!

agree.gif
dr.tim
QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 6 2018, 02:09 PM) *

I need a pass and was just trying to work one out with Rennsport.

I have a 3-day I'm not planning to use and would let it go at a discount.
Matty900
QUOTE(dr.tim @ Sep 6 2018, 02:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Matty900 @ Sep 6 2018, 02:09 PM) *

I need a pass and was just trying to work one out with Rennsport.

I have a 3-day I'm not planning to use and would let it go at a discount.

Thank you sir let me get back to you on that what I really need is a Corral pass for the car
AZBanks
Has anyone gotten their tickets/passes in the mail yet? I was hoping to have mine by this weekend.
EdwardBlume
I bought a camping pass last weekend and have not received it yet...
wes
Received mine around the first part of last week. Just checked the mailing date on the envelope “August 30th”. I bought them right as it opened up if that matters.Click to view attachment
AZBanks
I got my ticket pack on Saturday. Just in time to mail out a couple corral passes.
Both of my passes were identical except for the number. They were one number apart.
I don't know how they are supposed to know which are 914 passes and which are 944 passes. They both go in the green paddock so I don't think they are checking really close.
I hope they are not because I don't know which is which. I am sending them both out.

Edward, you are getting one. Your story was really touching. I have an eleven year old son and I can't imaging what you have gone through. I hope we can get them together at RSR. I hope your son enjoys getting to park your 914 next to a bunch of others. It is a small thing but I hope the experience brings him some healing.

I am sending the other pass to Matt at 914 rubber. I'm hoping to motivate him. He's kind of worthless around here and I'm hoping the pass might get him to do at least something for this community. smile.gif

That's sarcasm for those who missed it.

Matt, thanks for all you do for this community. I hope the pass gets you close to PCNA and get's you on as an official supplier.

I hope to see you all at 5:00 on Saturday.

Edward, shoot me a PM with your address and I'll get the pass out to you ASAP.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I had fun doing this. I'm bummed I couldn't make it to RSR with either my or my son's Porsche(stuck driving out in a BORING toyota) but I'm happy to see the passes going to such deserving gentlemen.
EdwardBlume
A huge thank you to AZBanks for the Corral Pass and his tremendous generosity. Buddy and I are so thrilled to go. We are grateful to him and his family, and this community as well. Thank you again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.