Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: miata seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porsche-tom
has anyone ever used Miata seats in a 914?
tradisrad
I tried to use them and even made some brackets to mount them. I felt that I was sitting too high in the cockpit and took them out and I'm 5'8". I would not recommend them.
-Rob
Jeff Hail
Ultra Shield makes Spec Miata aluminum seats. They are narrower than the factory Mazda sofa bucket and ridiculously lightweight. Widths are 14,15,16,17,18 inches. The wider 18 inch version make be a tight fit in a 914.

I have sat in them and they are comfortable. Its a bare bones padded race seat. Can be mounted very low in a 914.
DRPHIL914
nice, how much?

EDIT- found them, on sale, now $350 , in black red or blue or save $120 and get them with no cover
Mueller
funny, a few Miata guys have put 914 seats into their Miata's

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm...ta/38468/page1/
DRPHIL914
what I really want for the 914 driver side is a GTS seat for the lateral support of the bolsters but gets you a stock looking seat with headrest etc. my recovered seats look awesome with the plaid but they have no lateral support for when driving on those mountain twisty roads
Robnxious
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Aug 30 2018, 08:31 AM) *

what I really want for the 914 driver side is a GTS seat for the lateral support of the bolsters but gets you a stock looking seat with headrest etc. my recovered seats look awesome with the plaid but they have no lateral support for when driving on those mountain twisty roads

Yeah, I noticed this issue the first time I did Autocross. I am thinking MAYBE a 5 point harness will keep me in the seat more, but am also looking at various seats that have more bolster support to keep me in the seat
Geezer914
Corbeau Forza seats from Summit racing, $239 each.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Robnxious @ Aug 30 2018, 10:36 AM) *

Yeah, I noticed this issue the first time I did Autocross.

Take out the seat cushion for AX and get early non-retractable seat belts, you'll be tucked in quite nicely.
smile.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 30 2018, 12:50 PM) *

Take out the seat cushion for AX and get early non-retractable seat belts, you'll be tucked in quite nicely.
smile.gif

At least on a cone sprint his tail bone wont have enough seat time to hurt!
Alphaogre
I have a semi-vintage style seat I was going to use, but ended up with a Corbeau. You can PM me if interested. Could be cleaned up and re-upholstered...

Click to view attachment
worn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 30 2018, 12:50 PM) *

smile.gif

My son takes out the cushion for auto cross. And for my runs, I put it back. He is taller and I am old. The harness helps me stay put. Along with a firm left foot on the wheel well. I bet there is a better way. I am thinking of using glue like some of the folks getting Oscars use.
worn
I should add that Miata seats are the ticket for the LBCs like my TR6, or Doug’s MGB.
914forme
Bottom cushion out for Auto-x and I toss in a thin pad. Like these

Click to view attachment

Helps save this old mans tail bone. Plus the only way I fit in the car with a helmet on, and roof on. I never take the roof off so easy solution. And why I most likely will not go to a GTS unless I stop doing things that require a helmet.
larryM
as a Miata NB owner

miata seats are "tight" and they have a metal shell - they are built for the average 5'5" person at best

- the oem cloth tends to split seams & wear badly on bolsters + i found that my leather seat set was too "slippery" & not very durable - (i switched to early cloth seats with speakers)

most of us tall miata guys have to do a "foamectomy" to fit ourselves into the cars & get our eyeballs below the top of the windshield frame - earlier seats have a metal support box under the front leg cushion area that may need to be removed for personal fit to lower the seating position

- on my '99 i also cut/split the upper shoulder shell areas and used a porto-power to spread the shoulder width for more comfort & so I could push deeper into the bolsters for better cornering grip - and to get more legroom from seat to pedals

just google "miata foamectomy" for more info

on a positive note - nice replacement oem style seat covers are available for $100pr or so online

end result is a decent sport seat after a lot of work

- one can accomplish same with a stock 914 seat with cushion removed - once upon a time i had a thinn cushion made like above & had it upholstered to look "stock" for show - (dunno what ever happened to that spare cushion after i sold the car )

i've even seen some where the guys added higher metal "hoops" to raise the bolsters & then re-covered 'em a'la "race seats" ( i doubt the end result was any cheaper than just buying a GTS or such)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.