Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT In the Market for a new P car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914_teener
So.....

What is anyones experience. In the market.

Drove the 718 and didn.t like it. Have narrowed it down to the 981 series.

Anybody else have any advice between the 2.7 and 3.4?

The Saphire Blue is a killer as far as color.

Thoughts?
JmuRiz
Anything 987.2 and after are great fun.
I was impressed with the 2.7, but the S and GTS with the 3.4 are just 'more' (fun/speed/involved)

The sport chrono clock-timer isn't really needed but the 'extras' it gives you in tuning are worth it. Also the button-push sport exhaust is great to have, quiet for the neighborhood and louder when you want to feel more old-school

FWIW: the 718 (981.2) GTS is REALLY worth it, much more fun to drive than the standard or S.
VegasRacer
agree.gif with everything Nathan said.

6 MT or PDK ?
What didn't you like about the 718 ?

Cayman Register is not very active but has good information. Planet 9 is also a worthwhile resource.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Aug 29 2018, 12:39 PM) *

6 MT or PDK ?

Cayman Register is not very active but has good information. Planet 9 is also a worthwhile resource.

In case you didn’t understand all the numbers being thrown around. Avoid anything prior to 2009. John and Nathan didn’t mention it but an R is well, MORE!
914_teener
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Aug 29 2018, 08:39 AM) *

6 MT or PDK ?

With the 718.....the sound mostly. I know ironically that might sound silly. The other thing was that the power band....of course...comes on almost too quickly I fear the trouble it will get me into.

I am 80% sold on the PDK. ....only holdback is the old school appeal.
VegasRacer
I understand about the sound. The Porsche Sport Exhaust is my favorite option.

PDK is amazing. especially if you plan to track the car. Don't get the PDK without Sports Chrono.
(I wish I had PDK every time I get stuck in stop and go traffic.)

Sapphire Blue would be and excellent choice.
914_teener
QUOTE(VegasRacer @ Aug 29 2018, 09:14 AM) *

I understand about the sound. The Porsche Sport Exhaust is my favorite option.

PDK is amazing. especially if you plan to track the car. Don't get the PDK without Sports Chrono.
(I wish I had PDK every time I get stuck in stop and go traffic.)

Sapphire Blue would be and excellent choice.

Thanks John.

I drove a Macan GTS with the sport exhaust....it absolutely blew me away for a crossover.

Is the sport exhaust an option or only on the S on the Cayman?
VegasRacer
Sport Exhaust is an option on all models. (It is included with the GTS package.)
iankarr
My DD is a 2009 987.2 base with PDK. 100K miles and still super fun to drive. PDK does a great job of reading your mind about what gear to be in. I’ve driven the “S” for comparison and it isn’t significantly different on a Daily driver basis. Track, yes.
burton73
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Aug 29 2018, 07:13 PM) *

My DD is a 2009 987.2 base with PDK. 100K miles and still super fun to drive. PDK does a great job of reading your mind about what gear to be in. I’ve driven the “S” for comparison and it isn’t significantly different on a Daily driver basis. Track, yes.

agree.gif

I went to the dealer and test drove one and it had PDK. Totally senses how you are driving. If you are jamming around it seems to know and is just on the gears. If you are going slow in traffic it seems to sense that. Just test drive one. I was sold. The sound with the top down is different that with the top up.

I have been a 914 guy for 42 years.

Then what about the 2017 with Turbo?

Bob B
Mark Henry
QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 29 2018, 10:41 AM) *

No replacement for displacement. shades.gif
914_teener
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 29 2018, 07:28 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Aug 29 2018, 10:41 AM) *

No replacement for displacement. shades.gif

Maybe. I only drove the S model thinking why drive the Base with the 2.7.

But as with a 914, I was wondering how much the experience would be and skill and feel with the 2.7. This car wold just be a street queen and something the wife can actually be in, or want to be in for fun trips. Not a daily driver, and not a track car.

One of the reasons we got rid of the Z was that it was just a plain freaking brute and almost always somebody wanted to race you. At times, on the freeway it almost puts you in danger, plus the 6 SP MT with the dual disk clutch was a bitch in LA traffic. Just that alone has me sold on the PDK.

I'm going to drive a base model just to make sure as the only ones I.ve driven are the 3.4.

falcor75
I drove the Boxster 718 GTS PDK earlier this summer and I absolutely loved it. Yes it does kinda feel a little bit like a generic fast Audi with the instant turbo torque all the time but man with the top down and an empty road you can get into all sorts of trouble with the law...quickly!
RickS
Drove a GTS on a track with the Porsche Driving Experience and if I had the coin, would have written a check on the spot. Absolutely love that car.
Olympic 914
Don't be so quick to dismiss the 718 Cayman.

The sound isn't everything…..

I bought a 2017 718 Cayman S, 3 months ago and just came back from a trip to Nashville / Tail of the Dragon. This thing handles incredible. and the power is always there. you don't have to wait to get to 5000 rpm to start having fun.

And the 30+ mpg average for the 1700mi trip wasn't to bad either.

Mine is the Cayman S with 350 hp but it feels like more. also PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM + (-20mm) PTV and the Carrera 20" wheels

There is a 718Forum that has a lot of info, its not as active as the World but still pretty informative. and they share the ire of the 911 folks so I felt right at home.
I am Olympic Blue over there, check out my Tail of the Dragon thread.

https://www.718forum.com/forum/2017-porsche...ail-dragon.html

BTW I also love the Sapphire blue.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

They change the styling a little with the 718 models and I think it looks crisper. added some body lines on the front fenders by the hood and sharpened the curve on the front bumper.

Of course I am prejudiced
tomeric914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Aug 29 2018, 11:46 AM) *

Avoid anything prior to 2009.

Well, it all depends on what you want to do with the car.

I recall the stats on IMS bearing failure for Cayman from 06-08 to be something like 0.2%. That's not the real problem.

If street is all it'll see, you can get an '06-'08 for relatively cheap with no worries.

If running an '06-'08 on the track, oil starvation can be an issue if not mitigated with a deep sump and/or additional scavenge pump(s). '09 and later solves this problem with scavenge pumps on all 4 corners of the engine.

Then there's the power steering pump and plastic reservoir which don't seal well especially with extreme heat and high RPM operation. First step is an underdrive pulley. Second step is to remove the PS pump altogether and replace with an electric pump setup (like the Cup cars) for ~$2k.

I own an '08 S with some of the above mods and love it.
Racer
Its remarkable how a "275hp" base 981 can come across as "slow" or "not enough". This from a board filled with 80-100hp 914s wink.gif

That said, my dad has a 981S. 315hp? PDK and sport exhaust but not much else. Car is a riot (video game like fast to me) but does lack character and imho, there is no way you can get close to its performance capabilities just tooling around on the street.
914_teener
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Aug 30 2018, 05:44 AM) *

Don't be so quick to dismiss the 718 Cayman.

The sound isn't everything…..

I bought a 2017 718 Cayman S, 3 months ago and just came back from a trip to Nashville / Tail of the Dragon. This thing handles incredible. and the power is always there. you don't have to wait to get to 5000 rpm to start having fun.

And the 30+ mpg average for the 1700mi trip wasn't to bad either.

Mine is the Cayman S with 350 hp but it feels like more. also PDK, Sport Chrono, PASM + (-20mm) PTV and the Carrera 20" wheels

There is a 718Forum that has a lot of info, its not as active as the World but still pretty informative. and they share the ire of the 911 folks so I felt right at home.
I am Olympic Blue over there, check out my Tail of the Dragon thread.

https://www.718forum.com/forum/2017-porsche...ail-dragon.html

BTW I also love the Sapphire blue.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

They change the styling a little with the 718 models and I think it looks crisper. added some body lines on the front fenders by the hood and sharpened the curve on the front bumper.

Of course I am prejudiced

Gorgeous car.

I loved the way they changed the look with the 981 gen....especially the stance of the car and the front end.

Those rims also look great. Noticed they brought the blue back for the 718.
Olympic 914
Actually I think they discontinued the Sapphire Blue now. That's why I ended up with a CPO 2017. Found this one about 300 miles away. with 5000 mile on it in the color I wanted and with 90% of the options I wanted and all of the performance options that mattered to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.