Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air Filter housing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tmc914
Attached are 4 pics to help describe what is going on. It all started when I needed to replace the spring at the carburetor. That is when I noticed the following issues.

1. The hole the spring goes into has elongated (over 45 years) and I am worried it may pull through and will need to replace the linkage (looks like that would be a PITA because the linkage looks press fitted attached. See pic#4.

2. The Air filter housing to the carburetor has been crushed to go from 2.5” to 2.25”. See pics#1 and 3.

3. The Air filter inlet from carburetor has been cut to fit over sized air filter inlet. See pic#2

4. The entire assembly looks like it needs to be replaced because if you look closely the plastic or rubber “U” fitting with a smaller “Y” fittings attached there are small cracks
Something obviously is not stock, should not be held together with duct tape. Not sure what I should do next. Best guess is replace hose fitting to one that starts out at 2.25” and ends with 2.5”. Is that even an option?

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
SirAndy
You don't have a carburetor, that's the throttle body for the fuel injection ...
shades.gif
TheCabinetmaker
It looks like something is not right there. can you shoot a pic of the whole air cleaner from straight above it. And show us the whole thing please.
tmc914
Here is a pic as requested from the top. The screw at the top of the air filter housing goes all the way through to a metal plate and screws in there. It looks like the long screw was modified but does hold everything in place.
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(tmc914 @ Aug 29 2018, 11:19 AM) *
Here is a pic as requested from the top. The screw at the top of the air filter housing goes all the way through to a metal plate and screws in there. It looks like the long screw was modified but does hold everything in place.

This looks like a stock 1.7L D-Jet setup ...
idea.gif
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 29 2018, 11:51 AM) *

idea.gif

Isn't the correct 1.7 air cleaner metal? And shouldn't the intake hose fit over it? It looks like it is plastic and the same diameter as the intake hose end, that's why they pinched it to make it fit (sort of). Disclaimer: I only really know anything at all about 2.0 D-jet (and not enough about it).
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Aug 29 2018, 11:59 AM) *
Isn't the correct 1.7 air cleaner metal? And shouldn't the intake hose fit over it? It looks like it is plastic and the same diameter as the intake hose end, that's why they pinched it to make it fit (sort of). Disclaimer: I only really know anything at all about 2.0 D-jet (and not enough about it).

My 1.8L had a metal oil-bath filter (but that one was hacked together from many different sources), my 1.7L had the same plastic air-filter as shown above.
idea.gif
Mikey914
Got new ones right here -
https://shop.914rubber.com/17-intake-hose-0...m?categoryId=-1
mxkinn01
Mark is right. The 914 rubber elbow works great for the 73 1.7 with the plastic housing. Mine looked just like yours. Carefully heat (I used a propane torch) the plastic housing where it is pinched and you should be able to push it round again. Not to much heat or you’ll get a pile of goo.
Click to view attachment
tmc914
Thanks all, I ordered the new intake hose and it was even on sale! Will heat up the air filter housing and pop that piece back into shape. Thanks again, easy fix for under $30.00 delivered.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Aug 29 2018, 01:59 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Aug 29 2018, 11:51 AM) *

idea.gif

The early 1.7 oil bath cleaner was metal. In 73, they changed to paper filter and plastic housing. The hose for 1.7 and 1.8 looked the same, but were different sizes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.