Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tit rust prevention
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rstover
I am guessing some type of mineral oil The picture is a tit that has started to rust but other wise is in good condition. I believe that vegetable will not harm rubber so I have given this tit a good shot of Walnut Oil that was past the expiration date for consumption.Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
that is because the rubber material was not water proof and the spine was made from mild steel. Since the factory discontinued them we had them made but with waterproof factory look material and stainless spine.
No one cared that the vw produced 914 would be around 40 years later so did not use the best materials available. Too bad, there would be a lot more of the cars around if they had,. The 914 ended just one year before they started to galvanize the bodies. What if....

QUOTE(rstover @ Aug 30 2018, 01:53 PM) *

I am guessing some type of mineral oil The picture is a tit that has started to rust but other wise is in good condition. I believe that vegetable will not harm rubber so I have given this tit a good shot of Walnut Oil that was past the expiration date for consumption.Click to view attachment

mepstein
Stainless steel drooley.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Aug 30 2018, 04:45 PM) *

that is because the rubber material was not water proof and the spine was made from mild steel. Since the factory discontinued them we had them made but with waterproof factory look material and stainless spine.
No one cared that the vw produced 914 would be around 40 years later so did not use the best materials available. Too bad, there would be a lot more of the cars around if they had,. The 914 ended just one year before they started to galvanize the bodies. What if....

I always hope some energetic soul with the proper skill level would make a 914 body, doors, engine lid, and trunk lids in carbon fiber. Put a vin from a chassis that is beyond saving on it, and paint it up. If it is done right, you would have a rust free 914 forever!!

DRPHIL914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 30 2018, 09:22 PM) *

i saw somewhere recently an ad for a company that is making a 911 993 body in carbon fiber -wonder what that cost! i doubt you will see them expand into the 914 arena but it would be cool, though most of us could not afford it anyway.

I always hope some energetic soul with the proper skill level would make a 914 body, doors, engine lid, and trunk lids in carbon fiber. Put a vin from a chassis that is beyond saving on it, and paint it up. If it is done right, you would have a rust free 914 forever!!

dr914@autoatlanta.com
wow wow wow

QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 30 2018, 02:57 PM) *

Stainless steel drooley.gif

dr914@autoatlanta.com
If I was where I am now back in 1978 when I started our autoatlanta business, I would have purchased every body in blank (white) the factory had and stored them in a warehouse. The factory offered 50 bodies to me back when Howard Adams was the parts guy for Porsche , but even at 5000 each, back then there were so many good ones still around that one could purchase for 3000, that I passed. They probably crushed them. (I know for a fact that they crushed many new factory front clips so would not put it past them to have crushed the bodies as well

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 30 2018, 06:22 PM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.