Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Late 74 Charcoal Cannister
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdwardBlume
I want to reinstall my charcoal cannsiter on a 74. It has the later expansion chamber made of plastic. Where was the canister? Is there a better place to put it?
JeffBowlsby
Early VIN 74 (with the silver dot gauges) was mounted on the fuel tank like the early cars.

Late VIN '74 was mounted to the passenger side, engine bay, aft firewall common to the rear trunk, using a special strap bracket. Look for the threaded stud on the rear wall.
Rob-O
Also if I’m not mistaken they were on the battery tray, too. The bracket/strap used the battery hold down bolt to also hold the charcoal canister strap.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Aug 30 2018, 07:02 PM) *

Also if I’m not mistaken they were on the battery tray, too. The bracket/strap used the battery hold down bolt to also hold the charcoal canister strap.

in 75-76.
oakdalecurtis
Hey Ed, here's a pic of what I did with my canister. I used the original strap, but instead of mounting it to the battery tray bolt like it was originally, I installed a new bolt up through the tray farther rearward and mounted it there. I did this to give me more room between the canister hoses and the firewall at the front. It also gives me much better access to the idle adjust screw, as you can see. I think the canister looks cleaner here and not so "jammed up". beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Mark Henry
If it's the /6 conversion and later 74 it won't fit in the stock location, for webers I even had to cut off the stud it mounts to.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 30 2018, 08:33 PM) *

Early VIN 74 (with the silver dot gauges) was mounted on the fuel tank like the early cars.

Late VIN '74 was mounted to the passenger side, engine bay, aft firewall common to the rear trunk, using a special strap bracket. Look for the threaded stud on the rear wall.

Betty's car has a build date of April of 74. It does not have the silver dot gauges, but it had the charcoal canister in the engine compartment on the back wall. There was no stud for it, just a nut and bolt. So I don't think this is a hard and fast rule.

Because of the AC compressor, I relocated the ECU to where the charcoal canister was, and put the canister on the battery tray. I did it to keep the FI harness away from the spinning compressor clutch. Unlike the FI harness, If the hoses for the charcoal canister get cut, the car won't stop running.

Dave_Darling
My 2.0 (10/73 build date) has the front-mounted canister and black-dot gauges.

Rob, does your car have the two plastic lines running under the driver's side rocker cover, or does it have the one single thin line running through the center tunnel?

--DD
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Aug 31 2018, 08:23 AM) *

My 2.0 (10/73 build date) has the front-mounted canister and black-dot gauges.

Rob, does your car have the two plastic lines running under the driver's side rocker cover, or does it have the one single thin line running through the center tunnel?

--DD

Thats interesting Dave. My former early 74 (#01465), 8/73 had silver dot gauges and the canister on the fuel tank. I don't know when the changeover was, but sounds like the changes may have been inconsistent or progressive as they went through the parts bin, and did not make all updates at one time. Assuming your black dot gauges are original.
The LE cars 2/74 all have engine bay mounted charcoal canisters.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the stud was for the 1.8

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 31 2018, 04:42 AM) *

QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Aug 30 2018, 08:33 PM) *

Betty's car has a build date of April of 74. It does not have the silver dot gauges, but it had the charcoal canister in the engine compartment on the back wall. There was no stud for it, just a nut and bolt. So I don't think this is a hard and fast rule.

Because of the AC compressor, I relocated the ECU to where the charcoal canister was, and put the canister on the battery tray. I did it to keep the FI harness away from the spinning compressor clutch. Unlike the FI harness, If the hoses for the charcoal canister get cut, the car won't stop running.

EdwardBlume
Dads car 1868 has the front set up and the two lines. Not sure about the abm but it’s vin is in the 20,000 range for ‘74
JeffBowlsby
George I think the stud was used for both the 74 1.8s and 2.0s when it was in the engine bay.

I just had fun checking many of the 1000s of photos I have. Found many many 74 2.0L and some 1.8Ls too, with the canister on the rear firewall. Not one photo of a 74 with the canister on the battery tray. 75-76's were mounted on the tray.
74Wheels
I have a late 74 2.0 dated 7/74 and mine is located on the back passenger side firewall. I also have black dot gauges, if that helps.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(74Wheels @ Sep 3 2018, 05:37 AM) *

I have a late 74 2.0 dated 7/74 and mine is located on the back passenger side firewall. I also have black dot gauges, if that helps.

Awesome. Can you shoot a pict? Thx
74Wheels
When I got the car the canister was missing. But researching discovered some were mounted on the back by the trunk. The car still had the original line coming from the vapor tank and it ended where it’s mounted now. Also there was a hole right there for the bracket bolt. So saving a few bucks I just fashioned a bracket, but I’m sure of it’s location. Hope this helps!Click to view attachment
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(74Wheels @ Sep 5 2018, 04:49 AM) *

When I got the car the canister was missing. But researching discovered some were mounted on the back by the trunk. The car still had the original line coming from the vapor tank and it ended where it’s mounted now. Also there was a hole right there for the bracket bolt. So saving a few bucks I just fashioned a bracket, but I’m sure of it’s location. Hope this helps!Click to view attachment

Awesome! Perfect! Thank You! beer.gif
Steve
Since mine is a 3.2 six, I mounted the canister in front of the battery. Barely fit, but out of the way of everything else. There was already a nut plate for the 4 banger computer or six CD, so it was easy to mount up with a home depot motorsports L bracket.
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(Steve @ Sep 5 2018, 06:59 AM) *

Since mine is a 3.2 six, I mounted the canister in front of the battery. Barely fit, but out of the way of everything else. There was already a nut plate for the 4 banger computer or six CD, so it was easy to mount up with a home depot motorsports L bracket.

Great. Can you take a picture? Thanks
dr914@autoatlanta.com
2.0 battery tray, 1.8 back of firewall in 74

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Aug 30 2018, 07:02 PM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.