Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn signal switch repairable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tmc914
Yes, this is the same pic used for my dash lamps post but if you look at the turn signal at the steering wheel section the spring part seems to be missing. Also the nubs the spring would hook onto are broken off. I ordered a new switch from AA but it does not look as beefy as existing turn signals. Is it worth getting an old assembly with all working parts and clean up or is there a better new one than the $65.00 one I bought.
Click to view attachment
Valy
All the switches look the same.
How is the new one not beefy? Did you separate the wipers and signaling switches on the old one?
tmc914
Stopped at this point and put steering wheel back on so did not separate the two switches. Attached is a photo of the new switch. The old one has a lot of copper showing that seems to have two sets of contacts that ride along the top and bottom of switch to ground maybe? The new one has more plastic. See attached photo for comparisons. The price was good at only $62.50 plus shipping. Also expected a connector and thought this would be plug and play. That is what the advertisement showed.
Click to view attachment
tmc914
Here is the pic in the advertisement. If it works, that is great. Just saying it wasn't what was expected. Taking a pause to make sure I am going down the right path.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
I would be pissed if I saw the pic and got what you got.
Rob-O
Looks like the switch in your car is a 73-76 switch. The one in the advertisement looks like a 73-76 switch. The one you snapped a pic of looks like the early 70-72 switch.
billh1963
QUOTE(tmc914 @ Aug 31 2018, 08:12 PM) *

Here is the pic in the advertisement. If it works, that is great. Just saying it wasn't what was expected. Taking a pause to make sure I am going down the right path.

Click to view attachment

You can buy this switch (like the picture) from eBay for around $18 including shipping.

I did and it works perfectly.
tmc914
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 2 2018, 09:11 PM) *

Sure does look like it should fit but the description does not mention that it will fit any Porsche 914's. Tomorrow I take the steering wheel off and tear into this project. If there is a connector than I have no choice but to return what was sent and buy the proper item. Thanks for the tip, that price is great.
morsmanlaw
I recently had the same problem with broken nubs. I bought a new switch and scavenged the parts I needed to repair the original.
Valy
QUOTE(tmc914 @ Aug 31 2018, 05:06 PM) *

Stopped at this point and put steering wheel back on so did not separate the two switches. Attached is a photo of the new switch. The old one has a lot of copper showing that seems to have two sets of contacts that ride along the top and bottom of switch to ground maybe? The new one has more plastic. See attached photo for comparisons. The price was good at only $62.50 plus shipping. Also expected a connector and thought this would be plug and play. That is what the advertisement showed.
Click to view attachment

I'm sorry but you got the wrong part.
It's missing the horn ring and the connector.
I would return it and buy the correct part.
Here are 2 options, German and reproduction
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...4-111-953-513-F
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...C-111-953-513-F
tmc914
Quote"
I'm sorry but you got the wrong part.
It's missing the horn ring and the connector.
I would return it and buy the correct part.
Here are 2 options, German and reproduction
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...4-111-953-513-F
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?Pr...C-111-953-513-F
[/quote]
Will call for an RMA tomorrow.
worn
QUOTE(tmc914 @ Aug 31 2018, 05:06 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Nobody has mentioned the nice veneer, which I am sure you are proud of. Sorry this has been a hassle cause I hate sending things back. My bad no problem, but when the vendor makes a mistake I feel I am doing them a favor.
billh1963
QUOTE(tmc914 @ Sep 2 2018, 10:24 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 2 2018, 09:11 PM) *

Sure does look like it should fit but the description does not mention that it will fit any Porsche 914's. Tomorrow I take the steering wheel off and tear into this project. If there is a connector than I have no choice but to return what was sent and buy the proper item. Thanks for the tip, that price is great.

You missed the part where I said it works perfectly. I have used them on two cars.
FlacaProductions
Well, I'm finally jumping into the same subject and I feel like I've read everything here on the subject but now that I've removed the switches some things are clear and some things are not.

I'll just throw this out this way:
Here's my original switches:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Here's my replacement switches:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

74 with the intermittent relay and I've just added an electric washer pump that I'd like to hook up here as well - although I have an alternative method that will work if it's not going to be plug and play with the new switches.

Here's what I think I have to do - at least on the wiper/washer side:
Use the white plastic wire guide from the old switch on the new one and just get the red wire wire fished through on it's own. I believe (I haven't checked my notes) that this is the hot(+) wire for the washer pump.

As to the turn signal switch, I'm not quite sure what to do as the original has 9 wires (with 6 on the "bottom" and 3 on the "top") and the new switch only has the 6 on the bottom with the 3 on top being empty.

Do I have a chance in hell of having this be correct or do I have the wrong turn signal switch?

Big thanks for the input - I know there's lots of info out there but every situation seems to be a bit different.

lierofox
If you've got a buddy with a shop and can toss a few bucks or beers their way, or access to a shop yourself, you could try going down the route I went with. Mine ended up breaking as well a few months ago, trying to hold the turn signal on while going around a corner that liked to auto-cancel, there was a snap as I turned the wheel and then the auto cancel stopped working.

I ended up pulling into the shop, tearing the steering column apart, and saw this:
IPB Image

Since I have access to a milling machine and some spare aluminum, I decided to just remake the parts myself, I measured out the profile and milled out an "extrusion" of sorts:
IPB Image

After that I took it over to the bandsaw, chopped off a blank, and fine tuned the shape complete with the hook and slid it back into the assembly:
IPB Image
FlacaProductions
@lierofox - TAKE MY MONEY.

Wanna make this happen? It's THE failure point in these and everything else works fine....I can't be the only one out there.

(EDIT: ok...how did you get the new pieces IN there?)
914sgofast2
I confirm that the turn signal switch you show is for the early 914’s with their wiper switch separately mounted on the dash. I just finished replacing the turn signal switch on my 1970 Porsche 914 and the new switch was identical to the one in your photo. The early cars used the same turn signal switches as the VW Bugs did.
Mike D.
lierofox
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Dec 8 2019, 07:12 PM) *

@lierofox - TAKE MY MONEY.

Wanna make this happen? It's THE failure point in these and everything else works fine....I can't be the only one out there.

(EDIT: ok...how did you get the new pieces IN there?)

With a minimal amount of "please don't break..." and some mild swearing thrown in place. I remember it being a bit sketchy, but all in all it went together alright.

If I had a means of making a bunch of them reliably and consistently I wouldn't mind making more of them, but as it is I'm not really set up to do more than one-off parts.

That said, if anyone does have a means of working with aluminum, the part is NOT that complicated to make. It'd probably just take a slitting saw to make the profile blank and cut out the hook, and an end mill to cut the shoulder at the hook.
FlacaProductions
QUOTE(914sgofast2 @ Dec 8 2019, 08:40 PM) *

I confirm that the turn signal switch you show is for the early 914’s with their wiper switch separately mounted on the dash. I just finished replacing the turn signal switch on my 1970 Porsche 914 and the new switch was identical to the one in your photo. The early cars used the same turn signal switches as the VW Bugs did.
Mike D.

Cool - thanks for the ID, @914sgofast2
(anyone need a turn signal switch for an early 914 with the wiper switch mounted on the dash?!)

@lierofox - I completely understand - good work on your end for sure!
cary
Remind me .....

Bug one would have air washer ?
924 would have electric switch ?

I'm thinking I'll buy one of each for shop inventory.
FlacaProductions
@cary - If you want this 6-pin one, PM me and we'll work something out...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.