Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting BB pretty again
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
Spent part of the afternoon washing BB and getting her ready for some serious compounding and polishing.

BB spent quite a bit of time in the California sun and the paint shows it. I decided the only way to tackle this was one panel at a time.

So, I washed the car and then claybarred the front trunk hood. I then used Meguiars M101 with a cutting pad. I made a couple passes on a section of the hood before I could really start seeing a difference:

Click to view attachment

I used up a new cutting pad on my Porter Cable DA polisher just doing the hood. Don't think that's ever happened before! wacko.gif

Anyway, used Meguiars 205 polish and finished with P21S Carnuba wax. A pro would have done a better job and would have made a few more passes or may have added a few intermediate steps. But, this will be a driver and I think it turned out very nice!

Click to view attachment

In this picture you can see the waxed trunk lid and the front fender still in its before "natural" state. It will be a lot of work getting the car looking like a Black Beauty again; but, it will be worth it!

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Gonna look great. Sure a lot cheaper than a respray.
sithot
Best friend of a detailer. Under any panel oner the seals.

Congratulations. Black paint is the most difficult to work with and you won! Click to view attachment
billh1963
QUOTE(sithot @ Sep 2 2018, 07:31 AM) *

Best friend of a detailer. Under any panel oner the seals.

Like this? biggrin.gif Oh yeah...I've got several rolls of it

Click to view attachment
michael7810
Looks like you’ve watched the Junkman2000’s YouTube videos. Or at least it sounds like you’re following his process. I’ve been getting equipment ready to shine up my cars this fall.
billh1963
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 2 2018, 02:18 PM) *

Looks like you’ve watched the Junkman2000’s YouTube videos. Or at least it sounds like you’re following his process. I’ve been getting equipment ready to shine up my cars this fall.

No videos...just experience from the dark ages (before internet) av-943.gif
michael7810
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 2 2018, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE(michael7810 @ Sep 2 2018, 02:18 PM) *

No videos...just experience from the dark ages (before internet) av-943.gif

You learnt well.
billh1963
Almost done. My arms were getting tired so I decided to do the painted top tomorrow.

The paint isn't perfect. But, like Mark said it's certainly better than a respray!

I'll post pics tomorrow.

Next job is pull the wheels, remove the tires and get the wheels powder coated. I should be able to get them back before Okteenerfest!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.