Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: windshield trim alternative
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
larryM
toying with an idea - looking for an unobtrusive flexy trim to surround the 914 windshield - found these

anyone tried this?

Flexline Windshield Auto Glass Universal Molding (on ebay)
and this
FlexiTrim http://www.creativeextruded.com/flexitrim.php

looking for a TEMPORARY way to make my black car's front view more blended with my new glass - more like modern muscle cars (maybe more sinister?)

like this - Click to view attachment

comparison pics below

(my car was originally done in all black trim in Germany - it was a "period" euro thing for 914-6s to distinguish them from 4's) (i un-did that back in the early '80s)

it's not a $$ issue - i have 2 nice sets of oem bright alu trim, and have NO interest in painting 'em black

( i might decide i don't like the "dark look" - and of course - it's a originality-value proposition for a future buyer)

current bright trim look:

Click to view attachment

no-trim "dark look" new glass, no trim in place

Click to view attachment
bmtrnavsky
I personally like that look... I came to the 914 world from the Volkswagen world and was a big Cal Look guy. Personally I like that clean smooth look and have been thinking about doing it to mine.
mlindner
I second, black trim or no trim....
Mikey914
If you want a temporary way. Id have some chrome wrapped in vinyl so it could be removed if you change you mind.
If you want the rubber, the windshield will need to be installed with urethane.
Got it here if you need it

https://shop.914rubber.com/914-Windshield-C...m?categoryId=-1

bmtrnavsky
That looks nice!
larryM
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 2 2018, 12:39 PM) *

If you want the rubber,
Got it here if you need it
https://shop.914rubber.com/914-Windshield-C...m?categoryId=-1

yup - know about that -" The windshield itself must be removed to install" - have read about this on many of our threads

I just had a new glass installed with oem clips in place - your seal is not an option

I am looking for a "T" type seal that can be installed temporarily into the approximately 6-7mm groove twixt glass edge and frame and that has a lip to cover the joint

something like this

Click to view attachment

http://www.creativeextruded.com/flexitrim.php

OR
http://www.crlaurence.com/crlapps/showline...21031&pom=0

guess i'll go to some glass shops & see if any have this stuff in stock - just found a couple Flexitrim sellers in Sac'to
burton73
Larry,

You have a super nice rare car. It looks very clean and IMHO the bright trim really sets off the car. If you were all black trim that may be something but to have some black and some bright it is a weird group of finishes.

You have bright on the hood locks the rear sail, the door locks, the side window trims, the paddles on your wheels, the antenna the windshield spray nozzles.

It’s your car but you asked.

Bob B

shades.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 5 2018, 05:35 PM) *

Larry,

You have a super nice rare car. It looks very clean and IMHO the bright trim really sets off the car. If you were all black trim that may be something but to have some black and some bright it is a weird group of finishes.

You have bright on the hood locks the rear sail, the door locks, the side window trims, the paddles on your wheels, the antenna the windshield spray nozzles.

Bob B

shades.gif

agree.gif

I'm doing all black - everything - on my suby car but it's not a factory GT. pray.gif
SirAndy
Did the black rubber on mine.

Note that i didn't try to bend the seal around the bottom corner, instead, i cut it in those corners.
There is no way you can make that bend and have the seal stay flat.

So basically the sides and top are one upside down U while the bottom portion is one _
popcorn[1].gif

IPB Image
VaccaRabite
IPB Image

I did it on mine too.
You need to get some Frit paint or you will see the glue holding the windshield in.

Zach
Larmo63
I agree with Bob and Mark.
Madswede
Joe did the same with mine. But black trim on Phoenix Red looks really nice! shades.gif

Click to view attachment
Mikey914
Mine does actually go under the glass as well as on top, so yes it is different. It will actually seal the windshield in. As far as the seal you show goes it would work if you glue it in. I suspect that you will need to modify the length of the "anchor" portion to allow it to sit flat.
djway
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 6 2018, 06:04 AM) *

Mine does actually go under the glass as well as on top, so yes it is different. It will actually seal the windshield in. As far as the seal you show goes it would work if you glue it in. I suspect that you will need to modify the length of the "anchor" portion to allow it to sit flat.

To make sure I understand
Does the rubber hold the windshield in or does it also need the tape?
Mikey914
the rubber covers the top of the glass like the pofile posted, and wraps around to the underside to capture the edge of the glass, and allow it to be glued in. Makes it much easier to remove without breaking.
larryM
QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 5 2018, 02:35 PM) *

Larry,

Bob B
shades.gif

agreed - & thanks for the compliment piratenanner.gif

the operative phrases in my OP were "toying with an idea" & "TEMPORARY"

I was exploring a temporary "look" for certain non-porsche car show venues - sort of like my flame decals for Hot August Nights etc (* below)

UPDATE
i ordered the CRL stuff to try it out - 30-day return if i don't like the fit - (it's why i often buy on amazon even if price is higher) - vendor measured it for me & says it is about 3/8" deep insert spine - about 9.5mm, which should work with minimal trimming - (tho i'll have to notch it around the oem plastic clips)

i want to see if it will bend around our corners = the singular test of concept

(if it does work, some of y'all will be able to duplicate my experiment for a "budget" trim solution)

- no glass shops in area have the CRL universal stuff (.... a day's sojourn to learn) - they all use FlexiTrim products which have wrap-lips

.* flames for hotrod venues & cruise-ins (where the rednecks still yell nasties at furrin cars)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
theer
Reviving an old thread to ask how this worked.

I tried to put my aluminum trim on and snapped four of the brand new plastics clips in a row before I gave up. Windshield is in, so just trying to fill in the gap. Other trim has been painted dark gray, so not worried about matching.

@larryM

Also, were you able to buy this in smaller than a 100 foot roll?

Thanks!
Tom
Root_Werks
I always had good luck using etch primer and painting the stock trim some sort of satin or trim black.

I clicked on the 914Rubber link and the product doesn't appear to exist any longer.

I did see in person someone used windshield trim from an 80's Camaro. It looked really nice and had enough of a lip to cover the butyl tape over the glass.
theer
Thanks, Wiley (E. Coyote).

But, I’m looking for ideas for what I can do instead of the original trim, and where I don’t have to remove the windshield.
Mikey914
Black electrical tape
Just tuck and trim

Cheap easy and done. Don't like it, easy to reverse.
76-914
I did my '76 in 2010 with that stuff and like SirAndy said, it wants to rise at the corners. I don't like it anymore and will be going back to OEM trim next year. FWIW & IIRC the rubber seal is the same seal used on Honda Civic's. That being said @JRust has the black rubber trim and it looks great.
larryM
i gave up on it cuz it would not mold nicely around the curves

- i had to buy a big roll, but was able to get part refund from seller - so it was not too costly an experiment

- since i had 2 sets of oem brite trim, i had then planned to just paint one set black to get "the look"
(of course, as y'all are aware if you then change your mind again you may destroy the plastic clips when removing the alu trim, so it is not a decision made lightly)

(all black, no chrome, actually was how my GT was done in Germany circa 1972 - i threw all (almost all) that black trim away when i did the full-strip & repaint circa 1981 )

then, while i was still pondering the issue I actually showed the car at PCA Concours with no trim (which mightily upset one judge, costing me only a point - but it still placed 1st!)

THEN - i sold the car - the buyer wanted the brite alu trim, so i put that back on

i still have one a very nice set of alu windhield trim with some extras FS (bulky to ship) (picture) - ( i sold the new spare W/S a few months ago)

fwiw i had put in all new plastic trim clips when i again replaced the windshield earlier in 2017

p.s. - before ya ask - those wheels were VERY SPECIAL 7x15 very light steel - met the FIA homologation 7x15 spec for our GT's - about half the wt of any stock steel rim - Dworazik got 'em out of Porsche Werks 1 inventory in '72 - (unfortunately i left 'em behind in a move, circa mid '90s )

QUOTE(theer @ Jul 28 2021, 10:15 AM) *

Reviving an old thread to ask how this worked.

Also, were you able to buy this in smaller than a 100 foot roll?
Tom

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.