Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dear God, how much for a new shell!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Greg Bell
Guys, I need a 70-74 shell for my 73 2.0. I keep discovering new rust issues. The thing is swiss cheese! Still, I love the car. Rather than spending $5000 on rust repair and paint--how about a roller? Anybody got one of these mythical shells or are they a myth? The guy who sold me this thing is definitely going to hell! alfred.gif
xsboost90
someone has a flared roller on the classifieds, but they want 2k!
Joe Bob
That's not a bad price for one with steel flares.... cool_shades.gif
morph
We had a flared racecar body on ebay for $700, no buyers. Complete rustoration, rollbar, frame stiff kit, sway mounts, FG flares.

Hiedi
McMark
I've always fantasized about being able to offer fully dipped, rust repaired and fully painted shells built to order. But there aren't many people that understand the value of an $8000 bare tub. wacko.gif

redshift
QUOTE (McMark @ Jun 16 2005, 12:19 AM)
I've always fantasized about being able to offer fully dipped, rust repaired and fully painted shells built to order. But there aren't many people that understand the value of an $8000 bare tub. wacko.gif

That's not even unreasonable.

M
Verruckt
When I was looking out to California for tubs, I believe Rich @ HPH said that he had "several".
Joe Ricard
Yea I bought the stripper mostly for the body. 1000.00 have sold most of the parts off it and made my 1000.00 back. still have the trans and wasted engine. a bunch of nic nac things.

The car has a special place in my garage. No you can't talk me out of it.
davep
QUOTE (McMark @ Jun 15 2005, 08:19 PM)

I've fantasized being able to get one. If it wasn't that most of us are perpetually broke, you could make a good living at that. It is a good price.
spare time toys
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Jun 15 2005, 10:27 PM)
someone has a flared roller on the classifieds, but they want 2k!

Its in the parts section, Achtung Englander has it.
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (McMark @ Jun 15 2005, 11:19 PM)

if I had 8k, I'd be totally down for that... but that's a big IF
Series9
$700 roller
$600 shipping
$400 sandblasting
zoomCat
There is a part number for a body in white from the factory: 91450100311

AA and PP both list them as special order, but they do list them for like $7k to $8k depending on early or late.

Pelican's listing for a shell

Anybody know if you can actually get one? I found this through partpricer.com, which also interestingly lists a /6 motor for about 10k. If you really wanted an original car...
sixnotfour
Here is the front half.
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/9146_gt_factor...tuff_front_clip
avendlerdp
Wait a second here. If one can get a painted shell for 7k that's less than it costs to restore a shell by miles. If it is a painted tub and not just primered it's screaming deal. A good paint job is at least 5k and that's if the car is not too f$cked up. Why was I not told? Do you think they actually have these shells? If so how many are there? I would think they would sell out pretty fast.

-Alex
mihai914
A factory shell for $7K I really doubt it, five years ago I called up the dealer and asked for a factory floor pan.

After the guy at the parts counter stopped laughing, he told me it was $8K Can and that was back then...

It's probably one of those parts that needs to be priced before to put the order in and comes from Germany.

So I would better let Porsche support shipping on that thing.

We can always ask Partsman.
zoomCat
'Body in White' means that it's been primed, but not painted. At least, that's what it means around Detroit.

When Karman sold bodies to VW-Porsche and Porsche did they paint them too, or just put them on the truck in primer? Anybody got pictures?
redshift
Doods, when I was looking (pre-internet) for a 914 transaxle, the Ft. Liquordale dealer quoted me.. (if you are eating, drinking, or popping pills, swallow now..)

$16,800.00 icon8.gif

I bought Hemmings, and within a day, I bought a mintish Delphi 2.0, 42k/m, with every option, for $450.00... whew...

M
sgomes
QUOTE (McMark @ Jun 15 2005, 08:19 PM)

Sounds like a fantastic price to me!
bd1308
me too.....i would put in alot for a primered body. actually asked about that (making a new 914) and i got laughed at.....for days
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.