Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front mounted oil cooler purge procedure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Driver174
I have a freshly rebuilt engine, along with an empty oil cooler and long oil plumbing to front of car. Does anyone have a proven procedure for purging cooler and lines before the engine is started for first time?

Thanks,
Jim
mepstein
We added some oil into the cooler then ran the starter with the coil disconnected until we built up pressure, then started engine.
falcor75
What Mepstein said....I did the same then just topped up the level after running the engine untill it got fully hot and the thermostat opened.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 3 2018, 10:28 AM) *
We added some oil into the cooler then ran the starter with the coil disconnected until we built up pressure, then started engine.

agree.gif

If you're using s stock style tank, the top of the tank will be the highest point in the system and should allow for all the air to be pushed out that way.
smile.gif
rgalla9146
There will always be some air in the cooler plumbing.
When stopped after warm-up 911s with oil coolers could be heard gurgling when the
thermo was open.
Be prepared with a few extra quarts of oil.
1. flat ground
2. operating temp, thermo open
3. at idle
4. oil level above middle of low/full marks on dipstick......not at full line.
Mike Bellis
I have a AN10 T fitting at the high point up front. I use this to fill the cooler and lines.
Driver174
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 3 2018, 08:12 PM) *

I have a AN10 T fitting at the high point up front. I use this to fill the cooler and lines.

I like your idea, and will get some fittings to install a "T" at the oil cooler. Thanks
wysri9
Whilst on the topic of front oil coolers and (possibly) tanks, what are the thoughts on a shut off valve on the tank feed back to the pump? I am nervous about the idea but am worried that the tank might drain into the crankcase and cause a problem on start up after a long period parked up (i.e. over winter).
falcor75
Id say thats a none issue, no 911's seem to suffer from that so why should a 914?

My 964 didnt care when I had it, started just fine after sitting from Oktober till March or April
flyer86d
QUOTE(wysri9 @ Sep 4 2018, 03:42 AM) *

Whilst on the topic of front oil coolers and (possibly) tanks, what are the thoughts on a shut off valve on the tank feed back to the pump? I am nervous about the idea but am worried that the tank might drain into the crankcase and cause a problem on start up after a long period parked up (i.e. over winter).

Well, this can and does happen if the oil filter does not have the proper check valve in it. We always use a factory oil filter so that this does not happen or the prospect is minimized. I have heard 911 owners find a large 5 quart pool of oil under their car after a long winter sleep, had the car towed to the shop, mechanic claims the engine needs a rebuild...... I would not install a shut off on the feed to the pump. As I get older, I forget things.

Charlie
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(falcor75 @ Sep 4 2018, 03:27 AM) *

Id say thats a none issue, no 911's seem to suffer from that so why should a 914?

My 964 didnt care when I had it, started just fine after sitting from Oktober till March or April

I did it because my oil thermostat/bypass closes off the oil cooler when cold. I did not want to risk the oil pump sucking in a bubble of air when it warmed up.

Not sure what my old 911 had. It was a 3.2L with no front oil cooler.
Justinp71

My oil cooler is located when the oil is being pumped back to the oil tank, just put an extra quart of oil in and the air will clear itself? Just feed it from the bottom to the top? Unless I am missing something...
Mark Henry
Guys think about it rolleyes.gif
For a standard cooler set up you don't need to prime the cooler, it's on the scavenge side of the oil circuit.
The pressure side of the circuit is feed directly off the sump.

Any given time there's all kinds of air (oil foam) in the cooler.

Now if you have a /4 running directly off of the wet sump you might want to prime the cooler.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.