Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake Bleeding Problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74Wheels
I have my 2nd 74 2.0 and having issue with brakes. Rebuilt all 4 Calipers due to a stuck Front Caliper. Had a pretty firm pedal prior to rebuild, but could have been the stuck caliper? Anyway bleed everything yesterday per all threads I read and got a firm pedal. But then after it sat for awhile, the pedal would go almost all the way down on the first push but would then pump up on successive braking. After sitting overnight, now I have nothing today. No leaks and fluid level still where it was yesterday. Bleed about a gallon through with a power bleeder.

I’m thinking Master Cylinder now and wanted to get feedback on thoughts and what brand of Master to buy? It’s still the original 17mm Cylinder which I want to stay with.
iankarr
914rubber makes a great MC that’s also easier to install.
74Wheels
Thanks! I’ll check with them!
xperu
QUOTE(74Wheels @ Sep 3 2018, 04:12 PM) *

Thanks! I’ll check with them!

There's a good YouTube video showing the 914Rubber Master Cylinder install. Mike Kelly
iankarr
https://youtu.be/N6ZHK5f_9bE
Dave_Darling
How many times have you gone through the bleed/soft/pump up cycle? It can take more than one time; some people like to go through the whole process two or three times, including driving the car in between. (Not with a pedal that goes to the floor obviously!)

That said, it could be the master cylinder. Or if you got air into the MC, that can be a pain to bleed. Also if air gets into the proportioning valve on the firewall behind the driver's seat, it can be a bit tough to get out.

--DD
cary
I'm with Dave. I usually go around 3 times. But sometimes 4.
Have the pumper keep pumping, aggregating the MC in between bleeds.
We had trouble with Mike's car. But we finally we had a huge bubble come out the right rear.
74Wheels
I spent all day Bleeding and I know the system is notorious for trapping air! I didn’t have a helper so here’s what I did: power bleed bottom and then tops in correct order. Then did a gravity drip bleed on the MC for 2hr massaging the brake a lot! Then the same on the proportioning valve. Rebleed all calipers again! It was alittle better! So I did a power bleed on the MC and proportioning valve all the while tapping on them! Then rebleed all calipers using top valves and tapping with a hammer. Still the same. So let me know what else to try. Going with a 2 man now and re Bleeding is my last try before getting a new MC.
draganc
I did the same job (MC, all calipers and lines new) by myself.

The best result was first "fill up" the empty system with a power
bleeder and then let it gravity bleed over night. Bought ~3ft of
clear tubing, for each corner, and taped the ends level to the roof.

Rock solid pedal for months!

I went through two liters of ATE blue.
draganc
PS: after I was done, I installed quick-bleed valves on each
corner and used them for a "final" bleed. What a great invention!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.