Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Portable 110v Power Source
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
I am currently without a garage or workspace that has a 110v outlet. I want to be able to use a polisher, sander on the car but have no power source.

What are my alternatives? A good battery powered polisher? Are there any out there that will allow 2 or 3 passes over the 914?

Or is there a 110v battery generator or really quiet gas generator available?

What say you? thx gt
worn
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 3 2018, 11:18 AM) *

I am currently without a garage or workspace that has a 110v outlet. I want to be able to use a polisher, sander on the car but have no power source.

What are my alternatives? A good battery powered polisher? Are there any out there that will allow 2 or 3 passes over the 914?

What say you? thx gt

These days portable generators should be easy to find and not too pricey. Check the wattage. I would think buying twice as big a generator would be a good idea because you might like having 110 for other things.
Is solar an option for you: do you own the shop space?. Probably get a lot of light where you live.
7TPorsh
It's basically a subterranean garage. Low light, no power outlets, and tenants hovering around...so noise is something I need to be respectful of.

something I can charge up and use a polisher and maybe a light for a couple of hours before having to power up again or switch a battery.

I see 300-5000W battery packs. also 2 stroke generators.
iankarr
These Honda putt putts are reliable and pretty quiet. Prob about as noisy as an air conditioner

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Ho...ASABEgKCyPD_BwE
scallyk9
I'll vouch for the new Ryobi (Home Depot) brand portable generators. The 2000/2200 watt one is about the same size as the venerable Honda one and just as quiet, if not quieter, at half the price. A plus is that you can wire additional units in series.
Blue6
I’ve got a Honda E2000 you can borrow and check the noise level. They are by far the quietest gas powered generator... I’m in Brea..
worn
QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Sep 3 2018, 02:18 PM) *

I'll vouch for the new Ryobi (Home Depot) brand portable generators. The 2000/2200 watt one is about the same size as the venerable Honda one and just as quiet, if not quieter, at half the price. A plus is that you can wire additional units in series.

I have quite a few riobi tools cause they are cheap. Which seems their primary selling point take it or leave it. Four cycle and quiet seem to be an area that Honda covers very well. Wish I still had my 76 cvcc car.
914forme
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 3 2018, 02:18 PM) *

What say you? thx gt

Milwaukee M18 Buffer and LED lights would do what your asking just pack extra batteries. They also make one heck of a good impact wrench. Actually all the M12 and M18 tools are wonderful that I have tried.

It is not a random orbital buffer / polisher.

the LED lights are great.

Honda builds the best generators out there.
914_teener
QUOTE(Blue6 @ Sep 3 2018, 03:54 PM) *

I’ve got a Honda E2000 you can borrow and check the noise level. They are by far the quietest gas powered generator... I’m in Brea..

agree.gif

You can have a conversation next to these 50 db.

They are great.
worn
QUOTE(914forme @ Sep 3 2018, 05:55 PM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Sep 3 2018, 02:18 PM) *

What say you? thx gt

Milwaukee M18 Buffer and LED lights would do what your asking just pack extra batteries. They also make one heck of a good impact wrench. Actually all the M12 and M18 tools are wonderful that I have tried.

It is not a random orbital buffer / polisher.

the LED lights are great.

Honda builds the best generators out there.

That is another thing to keep in mind. Corded hand tools may be over with. Still hard for me to accept, but I have to admit I rarely plug in a drill anymore. Just the batteries.
rhodyguy
Long extension cords are cheap. Batteries need to be recharged at the worst possible time.
Andyrew
How long are we talking about between power and the car? I've run a couple hundred feet on good extension cords before...
rhodyguy
I can range all over my yard with 2 100' cords. Dif outlets. Other than lawn mowers and a power edger, I only have electric yard tools. For bigger timber I rent a gas chainsaw. Cheap, 0 Maint and no left over mixed fuel at the end of season.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(worn @ Sep 3 2018, 05:12 PM) *

QUOTE(scallyk9 @ Sep 3 2018, 02:18 PM) *

I have quite a few riobi tools cause they are cheap. Which seems their primary selling point take it or leave it. Four cycle and quiet seem to be an area that Honda covers very well. Wish I still had my 76 cvcc car.

i think I am going the Ryobi ONE + lithium battery route. With a couple of charged batteries I should be able to do the car.

If a use a generator I'll have both generator AND tool noise to deal with...as well as an extra piece of equipment.

Considering this isn't a real high power demand I hope the ryobi polishers, drills, etc. give me enough utility. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Andyrew
I have the Ryobi line. Love it.

I have 4 batteries, Two big powerful ones and two of the little ones.

Tools are in no order:

Drills (2)
1/4" Impact drill
1/2" Impact (LOVE)
Sawzall
Skill saw
Flashlight
Air compressor
Weed wacker

Amazon has cheap batteries. I anticipate buying a battery every year but typically only buy one every 2-3 years. I have had 4 of the little ones fail me DOA from the package but none of the big ones.

I am heavy on my tools and never have had any issue with any of them. I pick up just about every one of my ryobi tools at least once a month. Some tools (Impact and Weed Wacker) i've had for 9+ years.
76-914
Ryobi is great for occasional use though their batteries don’t last as long as DeWalt or Ridgid. Buffers and Sanders are energy hogs. This is a 110v job. BTW, a couple of us contractors were joking the other day that if batteries get any larger an extension cord will be back in style. av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.