Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2nd gear synchro replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeInMunich
Greetings from Munich!

I’ve purchased a new 2nd gear synchro and am planning on installing it with my mechanic/friend from SOCAL next week while he’s here for a working vacation. We’ve got a lot to do! Installing Mike Blizzard’s ( Hi Mike! aktion035.gif ) 2.0 that he sold me back in March and a lot more.

I cannot downshift into 2nd at high RPMs without grinding unless I rev match.

Otherwise the tranny is good. Even 1st and reverse aren’t bad.

We’re limited on time, but I am looking for some advice on this little job.

Is there something else we should probably or certainly also do while we’ve got the tranny open? I don’t know what the 2nd gear looks like, condition-wise. Should I just replace it as well?

Are there any seals / gaskets we definitely need to replace? I guess the main one for sure, of course, but any others?

Any other advice regarding potential pitfalls would be much appreciated.

How long should this replacement take? idea.gif

Thanks for your support!

M.i.M. beerchug.gif

Dave_Darling
The expensive bearings on the intermediate plate. They will usually fall to pieces when you press the shafts out (which you will need to do to replace the synchro).

You may find that the dog-teeth need to be replaced as well as the synchro bands.

Obviously you need the paper shims between the intermediate plate and the transmission case. Measure them and order before you need them...

There's probably more that you should do. I bet Doc E can give you a list.

--DD
MikeInMunich
[quote name='Dave_Darling' date='Sep 4 2018, 02:43 PM' post='2645513']
The expensive bearings on the intermediate plate. They will usually fall to pieces when you press the shafts out (which you will need to do to replace the synchro).

You may find that the dog-teeth need to be replaced as well as the synchro bands.

Obviously you need the paper shims between the intermediate plate and the transmission case. Measure them and order before you need them...

There's probably more that you should do. I bet Doc E can give you a list.

--DD
[/

Thanks Dave!

I just don’t know what you’re talking about. sad.gif

I ordered the „slider“, whatever that is. Not sure what the „intermediate plate“ is either. I ordered the dog teeth as well, by the way. And the paper shims? I need to measure them?? idea.gif

Thanks again for always being generous with your time to be helpful!

M.i.M.
BeatNavy
Get a copy of Dr. Evil's DVD. You are absolutely going to need this ahead of time just to order the right parts and get the right tools.

Dave, I don't THINK you have to press the shafts out to replace the synchros. I hesitate to correct you, as I could be wrong, but IIRC that's not necessary. And replacing those bearings is not necessary (unless you want to upgrade to the ones that are more reliable).

In addition to replacing the synchros, seals, and gaskets you will need some special tools like a micrometer, snap-ring pliers, the jig, and something to hold the shaft as you break the large nut. It's on the DVD. Get the DVD. I repeat, get the DVD.

I did this last winter and am amazed how much I've forgotten... blink.gif
Dr Evil
Oh man, you should read the manual so you know what parts are so we can better help.

Slider is the piece that moves back and forth and selects the gears.

"Dog teeth" are the teeth that are pressed on the gear and engage with the slider.

Synchro bands are the bands that hold the slider onto the god teeth when they are engaged.

The intermediate plate is the plate that houses the bearings for the input and output shafts (when you pull the gear stack, it is what is holding it all together).

The sliders wear out slower, teeth and band wear out first. You dont replace the gear, you replace teeth, bands, sliders. The gears are always engaged with one another.

Yes, you need to measure and match the gaskets between the intermediate plate and the case. You have access to all the ones you want from Porsche in Germany, luckily. I have to wait for some to ship sometimes due to no stock in the US.

You should be ready to replaced the bearings in the intermediate plate. I have discounted new ones if you like. Ill can post more later, but Im at work and getting piled on wink.gif
brant
installing a motor and rebuilding a transmission are both separately pretty big jobs....

you really need to focus on one for a day or two... before you start the 2nd one...

not sure how many hours or days of mechanic help you have
but I would only take on one job per a weekend if it were my car
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.