Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions about paint...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bmtrnavsky
I wanted to touch up and clean up a few small parts... I was looking for a duplicor paint I could use but I don’t see it. I hunted and have found this color for 30-50 dollars a can... is there a less expensive option? Should I just buy a pint of paint and spray them? Has anyone else found this paint or a off the shelf color that’s close enough?
mepstein
The higher the quality the paint, the more it costs. Some colors cost more than others because of the cost of the ingredients to make the particular color. Reds and yellows are high on the list.
Coondog
Because Yellow makes your car faster........ driving.gif
worn
QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Sep 4 2018, 02:05 AM) *

I wanted to touch up and clean up a few small parts... I was looking for a duplicor paint I could use but I don’t see it. I hunted and have found this color for 30-50 dollars a can... is there a less expensive option? Should I just buy a pint of paint and spray them? Has anyone else found this paint or a off the shelf color that’s close enough?

My paint store will mix a half pint for me. $50 for a can of auto paint is cheap. My experience has been about $500 per gallon. But then, I am looking for quality.
Optimusglen
Yup, if you want it correct then it'll cost more. Best bet is to go to an auto parts store that custom mixes based on paint codes. The shop I use does a rattle can or touch up can, as well as the qt, gal, 5 gal sizes.

Even then, there are sometimes variations along the course of production, so a certain color code could have multiple variations that vary slightly. The shop I work with has a book with samples so you can hold it up next to the car in the sunlight and see exactly which one you need.

You can try places like paintscratch.com if you need just a touch up bottle and don't have a custom mixer local to you.

edit: the paintscratch.com offerings are very competitively priced.

https://www.paintscratch.com/cgi-bin/order-form.cgi
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Paint prices are crazy, government conspiracy or something. We bought a gallon and a quart of gemini blue metallic for the gt we have here in Glasurit and it was 970.00, and that was after our "discount"!!!!! OUTrageous

mepstein
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 4 2018, 01:35 PM) *

Paint prices are crazy, government conspiracy or something. We bought a gallon and a quart of gemini blue metallic for the gt we have here in Glasurit and it was 970.00, and that was after our "discount"!!!!! OUTrageous

We have a Glasurit mixing station at the shop. Paint is not cheap.
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(worn @ Sep 4 2018, 06:31 AM) *

My paint store will mix a half pint for me. $50 for a can of auto paint is cheap. My experience has been about $500 per gallon. But then, I am looking for quality.

I was talking $30-50 for a can of spray paint. I guess I just need to get a pint of paint and spray it but its such a hassle for small things.
bmtrnavsky
Is there a Krylon or Duplicolor that's kinda close? Someone suggested Krylon John Deere yellow or Duplicolor Chrome Yellow. The first area is under the gas tank so it really doesn't matter I guess it could be black but I wanted it to be at least close to the right yellow. I'm not paining the body (at least where it's very visible) yet. When I get there I expect to pay big $$$ but ya. I wanted to touch up a few small things and paint a yucky spot lol. I guess I'll just but a quart and do it all at once but I was trying to avoid that for a bit.
BillC
Try PaintScratch.com here. They can do rattle cans or touch-up pens. I ordered a can from them a couple of years ago for my Saturn Yellow, and it was a pretty good match.
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(BillC @ Sep 4 2018, 01:44 PM) *

Try PaintScratch.com here. They can do rattle cans or touch-up pens. I ordered a can from them a couple of years ago for my Saturn Yellow, and it was a pretty good match.

$26.95 is a fair price! The $43 quote I got local is for 12 oz of paint through which is pretty good because its really 24 ounces once you add the reducer. It's a better deal per ounce for sure. I need to think about it. I was really hoping I'd find some Rust-Oleum, Krylon, Duplicolor, etc for $12 a can or so, but both of these options are pretty good unless I just decide I want to paint it a different color. I kinda like the Chrome yellow from Duplicolor and I am sure I could match that color in better paint for exterior use.
bmtrnavsky
A question for George maybe, but how much value is lost in painting a non-factory color? Like if I stick with yellow, but use something a little brighter or with a pearl? Also consider that my 914 is not stock as it sits currently, most changes are mechanical upgrades to the motor (still fuel injected 73 2.0), suspension, and brakes.
Optimusglen
I'm not a stickler for originality, but if I was in the market and came across a non factory color car, I would probably walk away. Custom colors only really appeal to those who choose them, finding a new owner who likes it as much is harder than if it was a factory color.

If the only reason you're considering a non factory color is because of the price, just save a bit more. Do it right or do it twice.
bmtrnavsky
What I really like is Victory Red. It’s pretty hot!
rick 918-S
When I had my shop and someone wanted to shortcut or look for the less expensive compermise, I used to tell them there was always time and money to do it right the second time....
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 6 2018, 04:23 AM) *

When I had my shop and someone wanted to shortcut or look for the less expensive compromise, I used to tell them there was always time and money to do it right the second time....

That Victory Red is not an inexpensive color. It's off a modern Corvet... decision there was if I have to buy super expensive paint I may as well get a color I love not like. I went to the automotive paint store and they said they could only get that paint in their bottom or top tier paint. He wasn't sure why it was not available across the whole line.

I have a pretty desirable car being a 73 2.0 appearance group car. I'm just trying to figure out now if I want to spend big paint money if I really need to stick with yellow or if I should go with the red I really like. Is the price difference if I ever sold the car measured in hundreds or thousands? Like in cherry shape Saturn yellow is it a 15K car but red its only 10? or is it not really a big deal. When I paint I'll obviously hit the insides of both trunks, door jambs everything.

I was seriously struggling with $50 for a can of spray paint. I've just decided to bust out a sprayer and paint small parts with a detail gun so either way I go its just a color decision now.
Optimusglen
I would never ever change color if you're not stripping it down and painting every nook and cranny.

But it's your time and money.

If you are concerned about resale, keep it original. If you are more concerned about enjoying it for yourself, then paint it whatever you want.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.