Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Major Electrical issue - - need ideas of where to trace
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thewheel69
Hey folks, I have a 74 914-4 Ravenna green and let it sit over winter in the garage... took cover off, battery on the trickle charger, turned the key to let the fuel pump charge the lines... radio was on... then turned the key to start and... click! pop! NADA... nothing... everything went dark.

So, I took the clamps off both terminals which were pretty clean to start with and brushed up and squirted some lithium grease and tightened back up...

Nothing... then I checked the negative lead from the battery to chassis and its solid... then the positive lead to the starter... everything good there...

Any ideas where to head to next or is it just the process of finding the needle in the haystack?

Thanks, I have a super knowledgeable guy coming in a few weeks to help sort things out but wanted to try and get a jump on this if possible.
904svo
clean all of the fuse connections to start with
JeffBowlsby
You have a Ravenna car and you attempted to start it with the radio on?

That explains it.

Wasn't there a tech bulletin warning against that?
marksteinhilber
See if you have 12v to the fuse block or ignition switch. These two points are powered by the smaller red wires that connect to the positive side of the battery. Those smaller connections at the battery could be the problem.
tmc914
Usually major electrical issues are easier to find. It is very limited to what could be wrong. Like you have already done, start at the battery and work your way to the fuse block. Check and double check the grounds to the frame, especially the one nearest to the battery.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.