Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Work party in Portland? - PART TWO
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r3dplanet
ALL RIGHT!

Part one was really successful. We got the bare engine mostly assembled with the ancillaries and the car is jacked way up, ready for install.

SO THERE NEEDS TO BE A PART TWO where I'm again calling for any volunteers and dates when folks can show up. On the agenda:

* finish installing the missing bits and remaining engine tins, starter, alternator
* install the engine and gearbox into the car
* install exhaust system
* install new brake master cylinder

I can always make time any day of the week, but normal people need to plan. From the last shout-out it seems that Saturdays are the best. I welcome your input there.

Also - for the tools giveaway. I have more stuff to give away but the main things are:

* tall hydraulic press
* new Eastwood bench top blasting cabinet
* engine work stand w/ very nice type-1/4 mount
* misc

Thank you!

Lady an Gentlemen,

I'm testing the waters to see if I can round up some genteel folk to help me put my 914 back into working order so I can sell it.

The Corvair engine is almost, but not quite, ready. So it won't be going into the car. Instead, I paid a local shop to assemble the Type-4 1911cc engine with parts I had previously machined.

The car is mostly in one piece but there are interior and dash bits to install, some cleanup, a tiny bit of welding for the passenger engine mount, and then get the engine and gearbox installed. I have all the tools necessary - just not the muscles and inevitable wiener jokes.

It isn't safe for me to do this work solo, so here I am asking for help. While technically not a party, I can provide things like booze, snacks, and I dunno .. maybe some onions or prunes or something. It shouldn't take more than one day if I can get at least 2-3 people. Then we're off to dinner, which is totally on me. Lots of good eateries in this town.

If anyone wants to volunteer Just let me know if/when is workable and what snack requirements are. Ideally this or next weekend (September 8th/9th or September 15th/16th) are the best dates because I'm in between medical junk. Mostly I want to sell of my little orange baby before the weather turns. And before I get re-attached to it.

Once done, the car goes up for sale and of course I'll post in the classifieds here first.

Thanks for reading.

-marcus
raynekat
Marcus:

I'm out here in Boring and would love to meet you and lend a helping hand....whenever. Let me know.
r3dplanet
Outstanding. You sir, are a gentleman. Let's see if anyone chimes in over the next couple of days and see when others would like to schedule.

Rad!

QUOTE(raynekat @ Sep 4 2018, 05:25 PM) *

Marcus:

I'm out here in Boring and would love to meet you and lend a helping hand....whenever. Let me know.

Mike Bellis
Too far for me...
mepstein
I’m too far to lend a hand but if you need any parts, let me know.
r3dplanet
Mmm... got a kidney? What's your blood type?

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 4 2018, 05:37 PM) *

I’m too far to lend a hand but if you need any parts, let me know.

r3dplanet
Oh, totally. Much too far for just a one day trip. Thank you though.

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 4 2018, 05:31 PM) *

Too far for me...

JRust
I'd be happy to lend a hand. Saturdays are really the only day for me. Although the next 2 are spoken for
r3dplanet
Perhaps the 22nd is an option?

QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 4 2018, 07:08 PM) *

I'd be happy to lend a hand. Saturdays are really the only day for me. Although the next 2 are spoken for

cary
Where abouts are you located ?????????????
JRust
QUOTE(cary @ Sep 4 2018, 08:50 PM) *

He isn't to far west of i205 but not sure what suburb it falls in. Might even just be Portland. LOL!
r3dplanet
Hi there. I live on the arguably active volcano known as "Mt. Tabor." Near SE 60th and Belmont. I guess I like the stability of an inactive volcano, but I long for the excitement of an active one. Can never have it both ways.

QUOTE(cary @ Sep 4 2018, 08:50 PM) *

cary
Not too far from where I grew up. I went to Madison High School.
Porschef
sad.gif
r3dplanet
Hello peeps.

Putting my calendar together here. Are we agreed on Saturday, the 22nd of September?

If so, I'll send my coordinates in a PM. Also, please let me know about noshing and drinks and what-not.

-m.
cary
We're good till about 3pm. Have an event at World of Speed at 6pm.
Cary & Super In Law (aka, Jack)
Mikey914
I'm in for the 22nd good to about 3 also.
r3dplanet
Fantastic! It's great to have you aboard.

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 8 2018, 03:18 PM) *

I'm in for the 22nd good to about 3 also.

r3dplanet
Gents,

I've been eyeballing the weather forecast and Saturday looks to be the one an only day it's supposed to rain before getting back up to warm temperatures. I'll do whatever you guys like. If you want to push through a rainy Saturday that's fine, albeit miserable, but if you all want to push the party back one day to Sunday or even next weekend it would be fine by me. I hate to mess around with laid plans, especially for those of you with families and responsibilities and what-not.

Comments?
Mikey914
Myself and Scott from 914rubber will be there. What is on the docket for projects?
r3dplanet
On the docket are a list of tasks I feel guilty for asking because they're the worst jobs ever. It looks like the gang can be here from 10-2/3pm in likely rainy conditions, but hopefully it won't be too wet. I do have a garage but it's cramped.

Wish list:

1. I need to weld in a clutch tube patch. I can do that just fine, but cannot wiggle the stainless fuel lines in or out on my own because I can't lift out the fuel tank. I also want to throw on some weld beads on the right side of the body. I have a small MiG welder and that's easy for me to do. Just don't want to weld around fuel lines.

2. Get the engine tins, alternator, brackets, etc mounted on the engine and hoist it and the gearbox into place. The engine is assembled but otherwise bare.

3. Axles need to go back in, but I can probably do that.

4. If I'm asking for pie in the sky swapping out the master brake cylinder would be nice.

I think we have six of us including me, so perhaps we can pair up and choose or rotate tasks as needed. Predictable time wasters are finding that I'm missing fasteners, but I kept everything in a large box so we should be okay. If not, I'll make due.

All in all, way to much to do in such a short time but I'll bet we can make good progress for the heaviest stuff.

I'm also having a tool give away because I need to move and therefore need to ditch some shop stuff: a large hydraulic press (needs to be cleaned up and lubed, but it is a Snap-On), an engine dolly, this and that. Free for taking. I'm sure there will be other stuff if anyone wants it. Maybe a Beetle project.

Nobody mentioned snacks or drinks, so I'll just get basic stuff for munches and gulps.
cary
Jack and I are in for the same time frame.
cary
We got a little wet. But we got things started .................
Click to view attachment
Mark working on the back panel.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Scott cleaning the threads of the powder coated parts.

Click to view attachment
r3dplanet
It was a great work day! Even though all I did was sit around and fetch tools. We made excellent progress and I met some cool gentlemen.

Huge thanks to Mark, Scott, Cary, and Super-in-Law Jack!

I'm going to refresh this thread because we'll need one more day to get things finished up. I think Cary is trying to round up a couple of parts and then we can proceed. I'll snort around for parts also.

Hooray!
mepstein
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Sep 23 2018, 02:28 PM) *

It was a great work day! Even though all I did was sit around and fetch tools. We made excellent progress and I met some cool gentlemen.

I'm going to refresh this thread because we'll need one more day to get things finished up. I think Cary is trying to round up a couple of parts and then we can proceed. I'll snort around for parts also.

Hooray!

What parts do you need?
r3dplanet
Cary has the short list and part numbers.. Last I saw we were looking for two small bits: the u-shaped clip that connects the right side cooling flap with the rod, and a 45.5mm clip that holds the alernator seal into place. Mark from 914rubber has more info. I checked the local air cooled shop and they didn't have anything.

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 23 2018, 11:36 AM) *

QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Sep 23 2018, 02:28 PM) *

Hooray!

What parts do you need?

DaveO90s4
Well done team.

DaveO
Oz
76-914
Marcus, I'm not sure which alt. part your describing. If you see it in this pic it's yours. LMK, Kent. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment
r3dplanet
Good Question. Mark knows for sure. I'll ask him to chime in here to verify.

QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 24 2018, 10:24 AM) *

Marcus, I'm not sure which alt. part your describing. If you see it in this pic it's yours. LMK, Kent. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.