Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fresh Air Blower Box Part II
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I previously asked about removing the clips. Question is can the front air box cover be removed while the blower is still mounted ? I want to paint the forward piece we see when the trunk is open. I assume someone has tried doing this....

The picture is a second box; not the one I am working on..
DRPHIL914
Jim,

I don't think so, there are 2 screws under it holding the bottom of the assembly , the blower, to the top box. would be really hard to remove it but I guess you could if you can get at the 2 screws. The top front removes like you have there just by the clips,but what are you painting, just that front part? you will have to lower it from the mount screws at the top sides as well I think.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 5 2018, 05:07 AM) *

Jim,

I don't think so, there are 2 screws under it holding the bottom of the assembly , the blower, to the top box. would be really hard to remove it but I guess you could if you can get at the 2 screws. The top front removes like you have there just by the clips,but what are you painting, just that front part? you will have to lower it from the mount screws at the top sides as well I think.

After the clips are removed, the front piece ( see pic ) slides off; it's independent of the main part(s). The two screws hold the rest of the upper portion. I'm only interested in the front cover......

Wondering if anyone else tried removing the front piece by itself.
DRPHIL914
I am just looking at it now and seeing how the top lip would fit, so yes I think you can but I have not done this with a box that has a nice seal on the top, that might prove to be difficult when putting it back in but otherwise I don't see why not -
bmtrnavsky
I've never opened mine up, but I would assume there are parts in there that could or should be cleaned and lubed? Or is this just a "box"? Does anyone have good pics?
bbrock
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 5 2018, 08:49 AM) *

I am just looking at it now and seeing how the top lip would fit, so yes I think you can but I have not done this with a box that has a nice seal on the top, that might prove to be difficult when putting it back in but otherwise I don't see why not -

agree.gif That seal will be tricky to deal with trying to reinstall the top with the bottom in place. The better condition the seal, the harder it will be. It will be even harder if you have the plastic mesh screen as that will be yet one more piece to try to keep in place doing an already difficult task. I think taking just the top of the box off to clean might not be a problem, but getting it back together will be another story.
jim_hoyland
So, anybody done it ?
DRPHIL914
about 8 years ago, first time i worked on this area of my car i didnt know what i was doing , i started by taking the front off by pulling those clips, fighting it , i finallytook the 2 screws off one from each side and it dropped down enough to separate the front section. mine had no seal on top and a badly oversprayed screen!
I say do it, carefully-
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 5 2018, 12:43 PM) *

about 8 years ago, first time i worked on this area of my car i didnt know what i was doing , i started by taking the front off by pulling those clips, fighting it , i finallytook the 2 screws off one from each side and it dropped down enough to separate the front section. mine had no seal on top and a badly oversprayed screen!
I say do it, carefully-

That makes sense, removing those two side screws will give just enough wiggle room.

mgphoto
The clips have two holes, a spreader tool is used to release the pressure and the clip slides off.
bbrock
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 5 2018, 01:50 PM) *

QUOTE(DRPHIL914 @ Sep 5 2018, 12:43 PM) *

I say do it, carefully-

That makes sense, removing those two side screws will give just enough wiggle room.

popcorn[1].gif
DRPHIL914
i took my box all the way out and rebuilt the bottom blower unit, but i didnt take any pics lol!
the bottom unit with fan and motor comes apart, in half and you can replace the seals for the flaps and clean the fan and motor
- i did this before putting back in and painting the top and front
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.