Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roger's 914 thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Dr. Roger
In summary:
Found the car on Craigslist. Low mile, low rust, straight body. No holes in the hell hole. Longs are clean. A small miracle. smilie_pokal.gif

After seeing Rick's "Alien" build, Felix's "Neo 914", and meeting "JLo", Andyrew, Sir Andy and other's rides.... I just gotta' get'er done!
neo914-6
Kick it! Lethargy is a killer...
Dr. Roger
Thanks Felix,
Of course seeing your beauty coming together played a part.
\BTW, where'd you have those 3" spacers made?
neo914-6
The Neo914 flares are awesome in person but now it sits under a cover until the V8 is back on the road. I thought this was a weekend bolt in but as Renegade says "these are hand built cars, you gotta MAKE things fit"... wacko.gif

Wheel adapters are from Ernie's Alloys, Inc. who sells on eBay. They actually sent me a second set by accident since I had them ship to WA, not my address here. My honesty got the better of me and I sent the extra set back... happy11.gif
Dr. Roger
Dr. Roger
Dr. Roger
....Heads assembled.

Newly rebuilt "Otto's" 901 w/H gear. First gear removed.
Dr. Roger
Dr. Roger
redshift
Your intake manifold has more bhp than my motor.

smile.gif

M
Dr. Roger
Dr. Roger
test fit, test fit, test fit....... all good.
Dr. Roger
Dr. Roger
Miles,
laugh.gif
ewdysar
Your manifold looks a little tall. You may run into trouble finding an air cleaner that will fit under the hood. Looks like you're making good progress... clap.gif

Eric
Dr. Roger
Yes Eric,

There will be a clearance issue.

I'm going to install a cold air intake from parts from a few intake systems. Obviously the first thing is a fairly shallow rubber duct to the carb. Pulling air from I don't know exactly where yet... biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
Looking good Roger!
914GT
A few suggestions ...

- With those headers make sure you'll be able to route your exhaust on the left side to clear your shifter bar.

- Don't use the front and back rubber intake manifold gaskets and instead use a thick bead of Permatex on the rails.

- Get a one-piece oil pan gasket, much better than the 4-piece sets. Worth the extra cost.

- Use a double-roller timing set with a 3-keyway crank sprocket so you can advance the cam. With the cam I'm using I've found a 4 degree advance makes a big difference in performance.
Dr. Roger
QUOTE (914GT @ Jun 20 2005, 05:57 PM)
A few suggestions ...

- With those headers make sure you'll be able to route your exhaust on the left side to clear your shifter bar.

- Don't use the front and back rubber intake manifold gaskets and instead use a thick bead of Permatex on the rails.

- Get a one-piece oil pan gasket, much better than the 4-piece sets.  Worth the extra cost.

- Use a double-roller timing set with a 3-keyway crank sprocket so you can advance the cam.   With the cam I'm using I've found a 4 degree advance makes a big difference in performance.

Hmm, i didn't know the made a one piece pan gasket. I'll check that out.

Permatex? What color/type??

Which cam are you using????

I'm using the Comp Cams Extreme Energy hydraulic 294. Dyno stats below.

Dyno Results
Camshaft Part # 12-443-8 Designation XR294HR-10
Duration @ 0.006" 294 / 300 Duration @ 0.050" 242 / 248
Max Lift w/ 1.5RR .540 / .562 Lobe Separation 110
Lobe ID#'s 3317 / 3318 Intake Centerline 106
Engine Type Chevrolet 350 Small Block
Bore 4.040" Stroke 3.480"
Displacement 356 Compression 9.25:1
Heads Dart Sportsman II Intake Edelbrock Victor Jr.
Carburetor Holley 750 dbl. pmp. Exhaust 1 3/4" Headers
Max Torque 380 ft*lbs @ 4100 RPM Max Power 420 HP @ 6100 RPM

My engine setup is almost identical to the compcams stats above except i'm using mildly ported Chevy small combustion chamber heads (9.5:1), 355cid, and i'll be breaking in the motor w/a 600 holley and street dominator intake.
914GT
I use the orange Permatex but the other 'flavors' should work fine.

I'm using a Speed Pro # CS1013R 288/298 duration .050", .443/.465 lift 112 lobe sep

Your cam looks to have higher lift but shorter duration. I'd be interested in how it idles.
Dr. Roger
Yea', i'm lookin' for some "cam lope" at idle. =-)

That type of cam will give me less torque at low RPM and will bring it in the higher RPM range. Hey, I ride a 500cc 2 stroke dirt bike.... LOL =-) I'm used to that type of power band.

redshift
Start off in third, and just burn the cluth.

smile.gif

M
ajracer
Roger:

I know it has been mentioned about the "height" of your intake set-up.
You might want ot consider another set-up (using the Holley) that will
allow you to be a couple inches lower. Also do you really need the two
adapter flanges which increase the overall height.

The idea of fabricating and running another type of air filter (possible side
mounted like a K&N late model Camaro) is a possiblity. But from very recent
experience with my V8 project car going together as I write this I would
say there is very, very little clearence on MOST 914 V8's and yours may not
even have enought for a air inlet to the top of the carb!

BTW I personally am planning phase 2 of my project whereby I will be converting
the V8 to late model (1995) Corevete Fuel Injection system and custom FI
controller (fully programable) for which I have already concluded "a Side Mounted"
air filter system will be needed and custom fabricated using some GM Fuel injection
components.

Another option IF you want or need too, would be to install an older style
Hot Rod air scoop on the engine hood/cover and facing towards the rear
of the teener. It would work but may not be your personal taste from appearance
stamdpoint. Just my $ 0.02 worth

The engine looks great and enjoy the journey.

Allan

914GT
QUOTE (rogergrubb @ Jun 21 2005, 09:26 AM)
Yea', i'm lookin' for some "cam lope" at idle.  =-)

That type of cam will give me less torque at low RPM and will bring it in the higher RPM range.   Hey, I ride a 500cc 2 stroke dirt bike....   LOL    =-)   I'm used to that type of power band.

The cam I chose has a power band of 2000 - 4500 rpm and provides a good idle. Advancing the cam timing makes a very noticeable difference in the low end torque and makes it much more fun to drive. You might want to consider trying this since the cam you chose will want the rpm's kept up but it might not have that 'seat of the pants' torque that makes the V8 such a fun ride.
rick 918-S
We are assimilate.gif idea.gif clap.gif Glad the Alien was an inspiration. Keep posting pics as the progress. We expect it. Because you know..... happy11.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Dr. Roger
I'm going to do a no no. and not resize the pics. lazy? yes.

Mike M. Will 18's really fit under here?????
Dr. Roger
Oh and the best part... A little present from Renegade............ =-))))))))))))))))))
Motor mounts and alt brackets.
neo914-6
Roger,

What Alt did you get? I plan to buy new to replace my 20 yr old but there are so many choices in Summit. I'm thinking a 100 amp coated one. Beware the Renegade alt bracket doesn't fit all alt fans. Scott said to clearance the bracket or trim the alt fan. I'm told by another local builder that the bracket itself may need to be machined.
Dr. Roger
whoa, good to know. i was just looking at summit's online for alternators and a last minute water pump...

dang, i didn't even note if the fans vary.

Oh and my big progress for the evening.... an oil pickup... =-)
Hey i promised myself every night i'd do SOMETHING... LOL
Dr. Roger
Dang it.

I cannot find the last shorty head bolt and one stock push rod....

Anyone got an extra of each???

I just might fire this thing up this weekend being I have friday off....... on the garage floor.....

Mueller, U gunna' be around?????
914GT
Recommend a Melling oil pump drive shaft and not use the plastic coupling.
Dr. Roger
Update pics for today. Friday. Enjoy.
No plastic oil pump coupling installed... =-))))
Dr. Roger
Dr. Roger
This is about where I ended up today.
Dr. Roger
Pulley spacer in and front cover on.
Dr. Roger
Dr. Roger
New/used dust cover.
Dr. Roger
Got a little sumpthin' at "Easy" today. 911 motor mounts. Yes!

Great place. Great people. Very helpful. John is the man. =-)
Dr. Roger
qqqqqqqqqqqqq
Dr. Roger
hhhhhhhh
Dr. Roger
Dr. Roger
bump icon_bump.gif
914GT
Sorry, checked my parts pile and I don't have one. I'll be visiting my machine shop probably early next week, I'm sure he's got one laying around. I think places like Summit have the pieces to bolt on to remote mount the filter or for oil cooler, but not the the stock spin-on filter.
Dr. Roger
Yep, according to my spin-on conversion kit, this piece is called a "By-pass valve assembly".

My new adaptor bolts to it. It then accepts the spin on filter.

I checked the local parts store and their external oil coolers all need this bypass assembly also.
Dr. Roger
bypass valve assembly pic. 2 bolts hold it in. Adaptor goes on top of it.

Doesn't anyone have one of these just sitting around???? huh.gif biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
Cool. As tonight the bottom end is buttoned up as well as front. Tomorrow the intake system goes on. Then it's off to the drivetrain.

I can't hardly believe it's coming together.... No, really. huh.gif biggrin.gif
Dr. Roger
Welcome to my lab, and let's see what's on the slab....
Dr. Roger
great deal on a QUIET fuel pump. =-)

Part of the secret of a quiet fuel pump is to keep it isolated from the body of the car. HUGE difference. I ended up suspending mine with heavy duty zip ties... Very quiet.
ewdysar
Ha, I have one of those pumps on the shelf. It was pretty noisy, though. I've got my fuel pump mounted right behind the driver on the engine compartment sidewall, there are probably better locations to mount it.

I replaced the Mallory with a Carter, it's only a little quieter, but it's better.

Eric
lybones
I need that exact same part for my H.O crate motor. I need the one for 69 or later models.

This guy on ebay has it for 15.00 compared to the 25.00 bucks at the chevy dealer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...sspagename=WDVW
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.