Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turbo tie rod Benefits?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914bub
I've searched and searched but can't figure out what makes turbo tie rods a better choice over stock. Can someone enlighten me to the benefits of installing them?
Spoke
They only have one nut to secure to adjust the toe versus 2 for the stock 914.
mepstein
Less rubber to wobble and they are priced pretty close to regular ones.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
more sensitive steering, reacts more quickly. they replace rubber suspended inner and outer tie rod ends. It is a good "upgrade"

One thing that everyone should consider if they seem to have play in their steering, is to check the steering shaft coupler inside the car at the firewall. They often loosen (the nuts and bolts) causing play. Too many think it a worn rack or bad tie rod ends. I cannot tell you how many of these couplers we have tightened after owners for years dealt with steering wheel play!
iankarr
Basically it's a more solid connection between the rack and the wheels, which generally improves responsiveness and feel. You can see the differences between old stock tie rods and turbo in this video, starting at around 6:45...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnuYLbZ89y8

Plus, you can call your car a turbo.
914bub
Thanks for all the quick responses. I appreciate the info!
r_towle
I have them on all my cars, but that does not mean you should.
Less play, yes.
Feel every bump, yup
Less cushy steering, yup

It’s a sports car
914bub
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 5 2018, 07:34 PM) *

I have them on all my cars, but that does not mean you should.
Less play, yes.
Feel every bump, yup
Less cushy steering, yup

It’s a sports car

Rich
Coming from a lot of old 1800's, I'll take it! Never should have sold those old Volvos.....
worn
QUOTE(914bub @ Sep 5 2018, 03:34 PM) *

I've searched and searched but can't figure out what makes turbo tie rods a better choice over stock. Can someone enlighten me to the benefits of installing them?

To add to what has been said, they are suitable for the 21st century. Instead of the sloppy yoke, they have a nice tight ball joint. Not the end all enhancement, but probably worth the relatively modest cost.
Mikey914
Nice video Ian.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.