Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Adjusting Porsche 914 interior door handle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
Passenger door will not open with interior door handle. However, when the interior door handle trim is removed the door will open.

The problem is the door pull has to be almost at the end of the travel before the door catch is released. The trim limits that motion. So, with the chrome surround removed the handle can be pulled all the way and the door opens.

What options exist for adjusting the rod length? I don't see anything that would allow me to do that? Is there another adjustment?
michael7810
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 5 2018, 05:05 PM) *

Passenger door will not open with interior door handle. However, when the interior door handle trim is removed the door will open.

The problem is the door pull has to be almost at the end of the travel before the door catch is released. The trim limits that motion. So, with the chrome surround removed the handle can be pulled all the way and the door opens.

What options exist for adjusting the rod length? I don't see anything that would allow me to do that? Is there another adjustment?

Make sure the screw that holds the trim is not too long. If I remember correctly mixing the window crank screw with the door handle screw you get your problem. The window crank screw is slightly longer. At least that's what I think I remember confused24.gif
Larmo63
agree.gif

I think the longer screw impedes the travel of the finger pull/latch thingie.
billh1963
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 5 2018, 08:40 PM) *

agree.gif

I think the longer screw impedes the travel of the finger pull/latch thingie.

In this car the interior door handle comes almost all the way "out". I don't think it's impeded. It should release earlier than it does. The door handle has to be pulled out around 90 degrees for the door catch to release. On my other 914's it only has to be pulled out maybe 30-45 degrees for the door to release.
Chris914n6
sounds broken
TheCabinetmaker
Yep
DRPHIL914
look at the mechanism thet is in the door yhat the rod connects to, sounds like its not working right- if you want to try a different one i have several, you are welcome to come down to Bluffton and pick it up, while you are here you can help me fire up my car for the first time in a year— latch mechanism is free!
n2j2ryan
I had the same problem in mine. It turned out, in this instance, that the little clip that slides over the rod to hold it in the hole kept slipping, so I put a little electric tape around that to hold it in place. Sorry I don't have a picture but I hope this makes sense.
Mikey914
The screw will not impede the full travel, just enough the mechanism will not release.
I have t he correct screws here

https://900designs.zoeysite.com/stainless-s...-window-crank-1

.22 each in stainless,
Choose reg mail for least expensive shipping
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The casting is broken and you need a new interior door latch. By now all of the good used ones are gone, but we have an excellent reproduction available

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 5 2018, 05:05 PM) *

billh1963
Yep...broken handle. Fortunately, I have parts cars!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.