Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel tank issue?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PatrickB
Putting a diesel in my 914... return line not hooked in the car, has had carbs to this point. Tank out, electric pump out, fuel line hooked. Return line... not so much. Nipple on the bottom of the tank I think soldered shut, and is only an inch long in the bottom. Is this normal? Never had the tank out before. I THINK I need to have the fuel return near the top of the tank, not at the bottom. Can make a new pipe to go up the existing set up, but probably need a new rubber at this compression fitting. Thoughts? Other option is to put a new return in somewhere at the top of the tank.Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
eric914
That's the standard setup. You should be able to find a used inlet port rather than dealing with trying to open the one you have up. The return should be at the bottom of the tank. Dropping fuel back into the tank above the fuel level would be a bad idea.

If you can't find one of the tank fittings PM me and ill put one in the mail for you.
worn
QUOTE(eric914 @ Sep 6 2018, 08:37 AM) *

That's the standard setup. You should be able to find a used inlet port rather than dealing with trying to open the one you have up. The return should be at the bottom of the tank. Dropping fuel back into the tank above the fuel level would be a bad idea.

If you can't find one of the tank fittings PM me and ill put one in the mail for you.

One thing the stock return setup gives you is a reserve amount of fuel when the tank gauge empty light comes on. Pull the sender and you have a clear view of what is going on by looking through the hole. This might be a good time to replace the filter gauze on the intake as well.
PatrickB
QUOTE(eric914 @ Sep 6 2018, 11:37 AM) *

VW Diesel board I frequent says don't worry about it even though it's different than stock VW... so I'm going for it. Appreciate the offer of another part! If I can't clean this one up and make it work I might be taking you up on that!
EdwardBlume
Can you extend the return line inside the tank so it feeds out near the top?

Looks rusty on the outside too. Have you looked inside the tank for any issues?

Lastly, 3/8 fuel line and cheap clamps? guess thats OK for low fuel pressure, but if diesel requires higher pressure, use the right stuff.
PatrickB
QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Sep 7 2018, 07:54 AM) *

Can you extend the return line inside the tank so it feeds out near the top?

Looks rusty on the outside too. Have you looked inside the tank for any issues?

Lastly, 3/8 fuel line and cheap clamps? guess thats OK for low fuel pressure, but if diesel requires higher pressure, use the right stuff.

Existing. Low pressure. There's a vane pump in the injection pump that is the primary... Will change the clamps at least. The diesel will actually require less volume than the gas engine did. Haven't had any issues to this point, had an aftermarket electric under the tank feeding the 2 carbs at the back up until the valve seat came loose. Considered extending but eh diesel guys tell me it's not an issue. Took about 1/4 inch off with a pipe cutter where the return is welded shut and it looks okay. If it all seals back up we're going to try it the way it is.
What does the rubber piece in the nut look like? Standard washer? I don't want to pull it apart until I have something new sitting here.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.