Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinions on this 1976 914 2.0?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zeroqpon
After wishing for 20 years, I'm now seriously pursuing purchase of a 914. I've looked at them before and know just enough to be dangerous to myself (and my wallet).

Any advice on how to discern the general value of a 914? I recognize this is not a science but how can I compare vehicles? Advertised prices seem to vary wildly for 914s that appear very similar.

Here is a 1976 2.0 for $27,500. I like this one a lot and am thinking about flying down to Florida to check it out. But is it anywhere near a fair price? Yeah, it will require careful inspection to really know for sure, but is this in the ballpark of reasonable if no big surprises are uncovered?

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/TPA/1179/1976-Porsche-914
IPB Image
Cairo94507
Well... don't shoot the messenger. Looks like a car worth maybe $15K assuming it all checks out with no major rust issues and is numbers matching. Lots of quickie fix-ups to sell it as far as I can see. However, rust, as you undoubtedly know, is the devil on these cars.

If you are unfamiliar with the typical rust areas, put a posting out to see if someone on the World is close to that dealership to meet you at the dealership and give it the once over and check all the typical rust areas for damage or improper repairs. Car looks decent from 20', but I fear when you get up on it it may show its blemishes.

I would not buy that car without eyeballing it in person and driving it. If they are asking $27K they probably paid $12K.

Good luck.
beerchug.gif
JOEPROPER
I see that you're new here. welcome.png $27k is a strong budget so if your patient you can find a 914 in very good shape. Buying from a dealer isn't always the best route to a good car. Keep your eyes open and place a WTB add and you're sure to find a good one. Good luck!
zeroqpon
Thanks guys for the quick feedback! Much appreciated. I will do exactly as you both suggest, with having an experienced person visit the Florida car with me and also placing a WTB ad up. 914world rocks, so glad to have found this group!!!!
914Next
[quote name='zeroqpon' date='Sep 8 2018, 04:35 PM' post='2646815']
Thanks guys for the quick feedback! Much appreciated. I will do exactly as you both suggest, with having an experienced person visit the Florida car with me and also placing a WTB ad up. 914world rocks, so glad to have found this group!!!!
[/quote

I'd agree with the other comments. You can get a lot of 914 for $27k. This is not a $27k car. From what you can see in the pics it doesn't look like a terrible car but you can get way more.

Agree with the view that you should focus on buying from a World member if you can. This is a great place and you will get much help here.

Welcome to the World.....
Spoke
QUOTE(zeroqpon @ Sep 8 2018, 04:01 PM) *

After wishing for 20 years, I'm now seriously pursuing purchase of a 914...

Here is a 1976 2.0 for $27,500.

welcome.png

Looks like a nice car. Your budget will allow you to obtain a really nice 914.

If I was looking for a 914 with that budget, it would have to have a screaming engine in it. A big bore /4, a Raby rocket, /6, nicely done Suby or SBC.

I bought my '71 914 with a tired 1.7L. Put a 1.8L in it. Then a 2056 /4. The car got funner and funner. Although the 2056 is a great engine, it doesn't nail me to my seat like the 3.3L turbo in my 930. Go for the biggest bang you can get in a 914.

beerchug.gif
zeroqpon
Just posted a WTB ad for the 914world. Many thanks for the lightning-fast responsiveness and recommendations! slap.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=333093

adolimpio
QUOTE(zeroqpon @ Sep 8 2018, 04:01 PM) *

After wishing for 20 years, I'm now seriously pursuing purchase of a 914. I've looked at them before and know just enough to be dangerous to myself (and my wallet).

Any advice on how to discern the general value of a 914? I recognize this is not a science but how can I compare vehicles? Advertised prices seem to vary wildly for 914s that appear very similar.

Here is a 1976 2.0 for $27,500. I like this one a lot and am thinking about flying down to Florida to check it out. But is it anywhere near a fair price? Yeah, it will require careful inspection to really know for sure, but is this in the ballpark of reasonable if no big surprises are uncovered?

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/TPA/1179/1976-Porsche-914
IPB Image

Seems like a nice car, but I would not pay much over $12k, and only if I knew more about the engine and its history. First, a 76 is not the most desirable year given that it has a catalytic converter and a couple hundred pounds of bumpers weighing it down.

A couple of things worth noting from the pictures:
Rust pitted exterior door handles, and is that orange peel in the paint?
Rust on gauge trim rings
Center console gauges seem like they had a hard life
Heater controls very dirty, not much attention to detailing
After market exterior mirrors, hard to go back to stock
Air conditioning requires significant cutting into car body
Neither front or rear hoods seem to fit well
Interior door panels really need attention
Roof needs attention
Is that rust behind the gas tank?
billh1963
Always remember that many "specialty" dealerships try to force the market up.

They often do this by using non-inventory cars (personal cars or friend's cars) that they really don't care if it sells. I remember several years ago before the last big increase in prices when a dealer had a 427 Cobra for sale for $1MM. People said he was crazy. But, when prices started moving up what did he do? He changed the price to $1.5MM!

worn
Edit. Never mind what I said earlier. headbang.gif (edit: thank you Jeff).
worn
QUOTE(worn @ Sep 8 2018, 05:16 PM) *

Did anyone notice that the advertisement is for a 1976 2.0, yet the engine is a 1.8? Tell tale resistor Pakistan (supposed to be pack, not as autocorrected) and intake bolts.

Sorry, forgot welcome.png
Porschef
Your best move was to come here prior to making any decision about any car. There’s nothing but good advice to be offered here.

Too much, too much. Be a little patient, you’ll find a good car here, and it shouldn’t take too long, especially with that budget. You can buy lots of beer3.gif with the $ you’ll save.

Good luck with your search
rhodyguy
$27.5k 914s don't wear empi 8 spoke wheels. Just noted the AC. There are what seem to be better cars for substantially less in the classifieds.
thelogo
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 8 2018, 05:42 PM) *

$27.5k 914s don't wear empi 8 spoke wheels. lol-2.gif laugh.gif lol-2.gif
Exactly

If your spending 27 just spend 29 or 30 k and buy a /6 conversion driving.gif

ust noted the AC. There are what seem to be better cars for substantially less in the classifieds.

rhodyguy
Or offer the 27.5 for the higher priced car. Worst thing that can happen is a counter offer.
JeffBowlsby
This photo says volumes to me.

Its D-Jet car, but it has an L-Jet resistor pack plugged into the socket on the FI harness where a CA-only model speed limiter should go. The wrench was probably confused by the plug because the plugs are actually the same to mate, but there is no reason and quite possibly damaging to the ECU to connect the resistor pack in this way. The idiot who did this does not know 914s.

For that reason alone I would run away and keep looking. Overall the car looks like its had the used car lot treatment - see all the satin black paint everywhere

Dash cap (the dash underneath is cracked)
FI harness is taped up
MPS is just laying on the engine
Resistor pack where a speed limiter should be.
Warbly door cards
A/C is often problematic and seldom maintained
aharder
welcome.png
You've come to the right sight for knowledge on the 914.

worn
I was misled by the resistors into thinking it was a 1.8. The resistors shouldn’t be there, but neither should my earlier post have been. That is the nice thing about this forum.
People are pretty nice about your mistakes, but still let you know the straight story.
adolimpio
I've been thinking about selling mine. Although I love to drive it, I get more enjoyment from working on it and there's virtually nothing left to do. This was my 3rd 914 and it might be time to move on to a 4th that needs some work.

Asking $22K, if interested I will try to post pictures later today.

1973 Porsche 914
* Marathon blue with black interior
* Originally a 1.7, but has been upgraded to 2.0 (original 1.7 engine retained)
* Engine runs perfectly, idles solid at 1K, compression on cylinders between 118 and 125
* Body is excellent, longs and hell hole are nearly perfect
* Interior is nearly perfect. One small defect on passenger seat.
* Mileage is unknown
* Everything works perfectly, lights, switches, blowers, heating, etc.
* Original steel rockers and front valance. Rear valance is fiberglass.
* Within the past 5,000 miles the following was performed:
- Transmission rebuilt
- All transmission linkage bushings replaced
- CV joints removed, cleaned, inspected, repacked and flipped
- New clutch, flywheel and pressure plate
- New starter
- New alternator
- New accelerator cable
- New Ansa exhaust
- Electronic ignition installed
- Stainless steel fuel lines installed
- Fuel pump relocated to front
- All calipers rebuilt
- All brake rotors replaced
- All wheel bearings replaced
- Front and rear suspension Bushings replaced with Elephant Racing bronze bushings with grease fittings
- All new shocks
- New tires, including matching spare
- Pedal cluster rebuilt
- Headlights upgraded to amazing LEDs
- Dash lights upgraded to LEDs
- Top and bottom Targa top seals, all window seals, front and rear trunk seals replaced
- Windshield washers upgraded with electric pump
- Fog lights upgraded to function as daytime running lights
- New front trunk release cable
- Interior rear view mirror upgraded to one with Homelink garage door openers and compass
- Exterior mirrors polished and new glass installed
- Cruise control installed
* Known issues
- Some rust on passenger side jack post support
- Some rust on battery tray
- Patched holes visible where someone had installed aftermarket mirrors
- Small dimple on front trunk lid where someone apparently close it on something
- Small defect on passenger seat
- Steering wheel could use a new cover
- Scuff marks on roof
* Also includes
- Original 1.7 engine with complete FI and exhaust system
- Original interior mirror and radio
- Two extra transmissions, one in good working order the other a donor for parts
- Numerous boxes of parts

adolimpio
[quote name='adolimpio' date='Sep 9 2018, 08:48 AM' post='2647035']
Also, I will be at Okteenerfest which would be a perfect opportunity for one of the members to inspect it for you.
r_towle
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Sep 8 2018, 09:52 PM) *

Its D-Jet car, but it has an L-Jet resistor pack plugged into the socket on the FI harness where a CA-only model speed limiter should go. The wrench was probably confused by the plug because the plugs are actually the same to mate, but there is no reason and quite possibly damaging to the ECU to connect the resistor pack in this way. The idiot who did this does not know 914s.

For that reason alone I would run away and keep looking. Overall the car looks like its had the used car lot treatment - see all the satin black paint everywhere

FI harness is taped up
Warbly door cards

That picture makes my brain hurt!
It would make me pull the motor and start again!
bdstone914
You should post your car for sale in the classified section. Yours is probably a better car than this one offered for too much money.
I would run from the $27K car.
Spoke
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Sep 8 2018, 09:52 PM) *

FI harness is taped up
Warbly door cards

Good points all. The engine compartment doesn't look too well maintained.

The vacuum advance port on the distributor is not connected as well.
bbrock
The way the vinyl lays on those door cards makes me wonder if there are gaping holes from door speaker cutouts hiding under there.
adolimpio
[quote name='adolimpio' date='Sep 9 2018, 08:50 AM' post='2647039']
[quote name='adolimpio' date='Sep 9 2018, 08:48 AM' post='2647035']
Also, I will be at Okteenerfest which would be a perfect opportunity for one of the members to inspect it for you.
[/quote]
Pictures at: http://914.dolimpios.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.