Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie here
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RolinkHaus
Hello,

Thought I would formally introduce myself I'm the proud owner of a 1976 Porsche 914. aktion035.gif Originally a California car biggrin.gif I also happen to pick up a 2.4 CIS motor with it. pray.gif beerchug.gif

Will post updates when able, obviously going to have to squeeze the wife for more $$ to get that 2.4 in the car biggrin.gif

Prost!! beerchug.gif
Mikey914
Welcome.
1st drive the car, it's pretty fun even when stock. You can get small pieces of what you need for the project easier than a big check biggrin.gif Work on the motor as you can. Many folks want to jump into the full conversion as it is tempting. Plan your attack on the project so you can enjoy the car as long as possible then run at it full bore with all the parts and tools you will need.
Just my .02

Also, let the wife drive it. The only problem is you may have to get another, but at least you will have an enabler. biggrin.gif
billh1963
Very nice! '76 models are pretty rare. They also seem to get scrapped out at a higher rate (I know I have scrapped one) and have seen many more that were destined to be scrapped.

The car looks pretty original original. It may be worth keeping it that way!
Mike Bellis
Original "California" car with Washington plates. Sorry to say means nothing after being in the snow of Washington. But welcome! Enjoy the car. Hopefully it wasn't driven on salted, snowy roads to much while in WA.

I get a kick out of how many cars are "originally a California car"... Just busting balls, don't get mad... beerchug.gif
worn
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 8 2018, 04:26 PM) *

Very nice! '76 models are pretty rare. They also seem to get scrapped out at a higher rate (I know I have scrapped one) and have seen many more that were destined to be scrapped.

The car looks pretty original original. It may be worth keeping it that way!

The 76’s are grand. Nice purchase!
worn
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Sep 8 2018, 04:55 PM) *

Original "California" car with Washington plates. Sorry to say means nothing after being in the snow of Washington. But welcome! Enjoy the car. Hopefully it wasn't driven on salted, snowy roads to much while in WA.

I get a kick out of how many cars are "originally a California car"... Just busting balls, don't get mad... beerchug.gif

What’s so bad about WA? Compared to the Midwest, the roads are just pure water. Every spring I have to taste the road to make sure the salt is gone. Never did that, or thought about it in Seattle.
xperu
welcome.png looks like a nice car, check all the potential rust areas, I would concentrate on the shift and suspension/steering bushings. all very available and make a big difference for a car of this age. Nice Car. Mike Kelly
RolinkHaus
Oddly enough the car has A/C. Also the instrument cluster has a CAT and EGR light, strange for Indiana. Do all vehicles out west and/or midwest have these warning lights?
Coondog
QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Sep 8 2018, 06:15 PM) *

Also the instrument cluster has a CAT and EGR light, strange for Indiana. Do all vehicles out west and/or midwest have these warning lights?

Yes it was a Calif only requirement. My 1st choice would have been 76 only because it was the last year.......yes I know they were built in 75....

Stupid Calif smog laws stopped that dream.

rhodyguy
I think the car may have come out of the dry Moses Lake area.

The snow tends to stay in the mountains here. Rain was the big factor. Add in little daylight during the winter, a charging system going full bore and the hell holes are impressive. Leaky rear windows worked like a charm for distroying rear firewalls and floors.
worn
QUOTE(Coondog @ Sep 8 2018, 06:21 PM) *

QUOTE(RolinkHaus @ Sep 8 2018, 06:15 PM) *

Also the instrument cluster has a CAT and EGR light, strange for Indiana. Do all vehicles out west and/or midwest have these warning lights?

Yes it was a Calif only requirement. My 1st choice would have been 76 only because it was the last year.......yes I know they were built in 75....

Stupid Calif smog laws stopped that dream.

Yep. The other 49 states used a cat bypass. So, you have a California car for sure. Mine came from Maryland, and had bumper extrusions but no cat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.