Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TC's back in a Porsche......kinda!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
carr914
my two year experiment with building a LS3 73 Camaro is over! Couldn't get a shop to finish some things (and it wouldn't fit in my Garage).

I'm a Driver 1st & foremost, so it has been a grind to see a project going nowhere, so my latest pickup is

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

with LS6 Motor! piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
carr914
the Camaro had just become a Bank Account.

GoodBye Camaro

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

carr914
the Porsche 951 with LS is very well sorted, though it will get some TC touches!

I hate the Rear Center Reflector ( why do people put these on 944s & 914s? blink.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

also want to put Side Mouldings on. a 944 is one of the very few cars that I think looks better with them
carr914
another thing about selling the Camaro, I sold it as a Roller, so I kept the LS3! I can make a duplicate of this 951 with side by side comparisons????

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
Good to see Paul (URY914) on the way back from Columbia SC yesterday! Paul used to be Neighbor, Great Friend & re-known 914 Transporter, but moved to Jacksonville a couple years back.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
it's been a few years since I've had a 944 based car!

Click to view attachment
mepstein
I think the 944 is the best base for an LS conversion.
Tom_T
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 9 2018, 06:13 AM) *

it's been a few years since I've had a 944 based car!

Click to view attachment

Is that your "Waddyalookinat!?" Look TC!? laugh.gif

That 944/LS6 would be an interesting combo, assuming that the suspension is tweaked get the extra power to the asphalt, & to maintain the legendary 924/944/968 handling.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Andyrew
Very nice!!!! Welcome to one of my favorite street cars!!
carr914
The LS Motors are very light and overall no more than the 4 cyl lump & accessories. The 951 Real Diff/Trans was rebuilt last year to the tune of $3500. It has 968 Sport Suspension pieces, Swaybars & Koni Sport Yellows
FourBlades

That is a great looking car, TC! chowtime.gif

Without the maintenance hassles of the 944 4 banger.

I love the body style but maintenance issues always put me off these cars.

John
carr914
Exactly John, regular 944 & Turbos especially Turbos are a maintenance nightmare. This solves that with a LOT More HP!
Cairo94507
I loved your Camaro project but that LS motor in the 951 will be crazy. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
This thread is worthless without smoking tires.
URY914
TC,

Good to see you and thanks for the kind words. beerchug.gif
Always good to keep in touch with 914 guys. You never know when you may need a ride home.

sixnotfour
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 9 2018, 01:02 PM) *

This thread is worthless without smoking tires.

Squire Tomasie has one and video...facebook
VaccaRabite
That is a car I want to drive.

I've wanted to do this to a 944 ever since I heard about the conversions a few years ago (though the conversion I saw had a weird bubble hood thing for the 350 small block and carb. Yuck!)

Its like Subaru engines in a 914 - it just WORKS.

Zach
Dave_Darling
Are you going to sell it and buy it back a couple dozen times? wink.gif

--DD
Larmo63
That Camaro was bitchin and the mods you were doing looked tasty.

My question is: How do you get that LS motor through smog testing, or am I thinking with my stupid California smog nazi brain?
jkb944t
These conversions are awesome! The one problem I have seen though is the power brake system modification is hard to solve. How did they do yours?

Jeff B
carr914
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 9 2018, 09:55 PM) *

My question is: How do you get that LS motor through smog testing, or am I thinking with my stupid California smog nazi brain?

In Florida there are No Inspections, No Smog Checks
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 10 2018, 06:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Sep 9 2018, 09:55 PM) *

In Florida there are No Inspections, No Smog Checks

Street legal Dale truck
Plenty of freedom and bald eagles here.
Larmo63
That was a fun video!!!

Here in Kalifornia, you have to "know" someone (wink, wink) to get certain cars through DMV.

The old cars are exempt (pre '76) but newer cars are tricky.

God Bless Freedom!!!!
JmuRiz
Very cool!
I agree, toss that reflector in the trash bin and take the turbo badge off (unless you plan to put a turbo on that LS biggrin.gif
Ferg
Nice NARP bye1.gif
carr914
Hopefully it survives Hurricane Florence as it is still in South Carolina! blink.gif blink.gif
Rob-O
Just a quick question about the wheels on this thing. They look like (and I’m pretty sure are) 17” Boxster rims. I assume 7” and 8”
wide but do you happen to know the offset? Curious what size tires those are, too.

I just picked up a rough 944 Turbo and I like the look with those wheels. I looked up companies that do LS conversions and one of the first places that popped up on my internet search was a place in the same town as me. Had no idea these guys even existed but plan to run by and check out their operation soon.
JRust
Hell yeah TC! I'd drive that for sure. Love it
carr914
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 19 2018, 11:44 PM) *

Just a quick question about the wheels on this thing. They look like (and I’m pretty sure are) 17” Boxster rims. I assume 7” and 8”
wide but do you happen to know the offset? Curious what size tires those are, too.

I just picked up a rough 944 Turbo and I like the look with those wheels. I looked up companies that do LS conversions and one of the first places that popped up on my internet search was a place in the same town as me. Had no idea these guys even existed but plan to run by and check out their operation soon.

Don't know the Offsets, but the Tire Sizes are front 225/45 17, rear 255/40 17. I may sell these wheels/new tires after the car gets here
Racer

944 Turbos came with "early" offset wheels (1986) and late offset wheels (87-89).

The "twist" wheels came in 7/8.5 widths on the boxster and 7/9 on the 996. These are late offset wheels. Typical late offset are ET50-60mm.. Early offsets are ET10-23.

Rob-O
QUOTE(Racer @ Sep 20 2018, 03:45 AM) *

944 Turbos came with "early" offset wheels (1986) and late offset wheels (87-89).

The "twist" wheels came in 7/8.5 widths on the boxster and 7/9 on the 996. These are late offset wheels. Typical late offset are ET50-60mm.. Early offsets are ET10-23.

Great information, thanks.

Just trying to wrap my head around this. I have an ‘86 so early offset. Since the offset is the spacing on the inside of the rim that would mean if I want to use later wheels I’d need spaces (roughly an inch in this case) and possibly longer studs? I’m I thinking that through correctly?
JmuRiz
I'm guessing it survived the storm?
Hope so...
Rob-O
Mine. You can see why I asked the wheel question. blink.gif
carr914
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Sep 20 2018, 09:36 AM) *

I'm guessing it survived the storm?
Hope so...

Yes, it did.

It needs a new windshield ( South Carolina is like Florida, Windshields are Zero Ductable, no insurance issues) so we are waiting for Porsche to source the correct windshield ( late 944s are different than early ones and they have an antenna inbedded) before I ship it to Florida. One of my Customers owns a large Transport companies ( one of the largest on U-Ship) so I'm trading him Camaro parts for the Transport.
carr914
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 20 2018, 10:04 AM) *

Good Looking car except for those Wheels barf.gif

the nice thing about early cars is that you can fit Fuchs (although the 951 Fuchs are pricey). Bad thing is there are less & less 16" performance tires available

Click to view attachment
Racer
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 20 2018, 08:34 AM) *

Just trying to wrap my head around this. I have an ‘86 so early offset. Since the offset is the spacing on the inside of the rim that would mean if I want to use later wheels I’d need spaces (roughly an inch in this case) and possibly longer studs? I’m I thinking that through correctly?

Correct... the '86 944T (951) ran early offset 7/8 x 16 wheels (Fuchs and Phone Dials) with an ET of 23.3mm front and rear. To run "late" offsets, you would need about 28 mm of spacers. 1" = 25.4mm so, 1-1.25" could work.
Rob-O
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 20 2018, 06:54 AM) *

Good Looking car except for those Wheels barf.gif

the nice thing about early cars is that you can fit Fuchs (although the 951 Fuchs are pricey). Bad thing is there are less & less 16" performance tires available

Click to view attachment

Agreed those wheels gotta go. I looked at the 944 specific Fuchs but they are pricey. I’ll probably do the Boxster wheels and spacers. Boxster wheels are cheap and it opens up the tire catalog versus the 16”.
Rob-O
QUOTE(Racer @ Sep 20 2018, 09:03 AM) *

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 20 2018, 08:34 AM) *

Correct... the '86 944T (951) ran early offset 7/8 x 16 wheels (Fuchs and Phone Dials) with an ET of 23.3mm front and rear. To run "late" offsets, you would need about 28 mm of spacers. 1" = 25.4mm so, 1-1.25" could work.

Thanks for confirming. Now off to find spacers...
carr914
the windshield is in! $1400 to his Insurance Co! blink.gif My Transport Co (not URY this time) will picked it up this coming week and I'll have it the next day

Click to view attachment
carr914

There was a car at the ChumpCar race last weekend running those wheels, so they have some value
Rob-O
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 28 2018, 03:35 PM) *

There was a car at the ChumpCar race last weekend running those wheels, so they have some value

Probably would look better with the center caps. But they’re tough to find. By the time I cleaned the wheels and bought center caps I think I could be in some late model Porsche rims. But thanks for the tip, instead of trashing them I’ll at least put them up for sale somewhere. Maybe someone can use them.
flmont
I had a 86 944, Handled great but what a Dog it was super slow. I think they were 140 HP.
bcheney
TC That’s a bitchin ride!! Can’t wait to see it!

quote name='carr914' date='Sep 9 2018, 08:56 AM' post='2647043']
my two year experiment with building a LS3 73 Camaro is over! Couldn't get a shop to finish some things (and it wouldn't fit in my Garage).

I'm a Driver 1st & foremost, so it has been a grind to see a project going nowhere, so my latest pickup is

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

with LS6 Motor! piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment
[/quote]
carr914
being picked up tonight in a two car enclosed trailer, could have it tomorrow!
matthepcat
All you non California folks have all the fun.
mepstein
I might want to buy it from you in a couple years when you get tired of it and I’m done paying for college.
mepstein
db post
carr914
of course, the transporter didn't show up! headbang.gif
carr914
to cheer myself up, here's a couple of pictures of my white 944

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.