Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Not happy with my Rennshift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cal914
I bought the Rennshift from pelican parts the linkage and precision adjuster from Tangerine racing,the gear change up is not that smooth very clunky and when changing down it feels as if the shifter is stuck ,you have to pull it quite firmly ,I have a 914-6 and had hoped all these combined parts would have made for smooth shifting ,what could the problem be
wes
I’m very happy with my Rennshift! Before I installed it refreshed transmission and replaced all 4 bushings. I personally never drove a 914 with better shifting.
carr914
QUOTE(cal914 @ Sep 9 2018, 04:30 PM) *
,what could the problem be

the Installation or the Tranny to begin with - the System is Great!
cal914
You can feel the stiffness is coming from the shifter ,someone mentioned remove some of the washers or spring ,where do I access these from (pic would be great )
xperu
I started an earlier thread in regards to the tightness/stiffness of the shifter, and not finding 4th gear.
So I removed the shifter and reversed the assembly and took the car out for a spin. Much better, I found all my gears and very happy with the results.
It will take some getting use to due to the OEM shifter was sloppy.
My only concern at this point is the allen set screws came loose twice now even though I really tightened them down. Anyone have comments about the shift stick allen set screws I would like to hear your story.
In an earlier thread Steve told me to remove a washer from one side or the other as described in the instructions to ease the stiffness.
I'll wait a while for that until I drive the car more. Yes, the instruction could use more pictures, but I figured it out. Mike Kelly
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

Adjust it.
VaccaRabite
I've got this setup on my car.
When I first put it in it was STIFF. Within 50 miles of driving it had smoothed out a ton, and the shifting was very precise.

That said, it was difficult to adjust, and I spent a lot of time with the rennshift getting the shifter adjusted properly. That's the nature of things when you are adding a great deal of specificity to something that was not designed to be very specific.

The system is a night and day improvement over my rennshift with new nylon bushings. Totally night and day.

Keep fiddling with it, and drive the car. When you have it right, you will know.

Zach
campbellcj
You may want some lock-tite on the set screws.
TravisNeff
You need to replace the set screws any time you remove them. There is a plastic plug in the side of the threads that lock it into position. You can re-use, but they all seem to back out at a inopportune time. My 911 did this and the shift rod fell out of the bushing cup. Luckily I was a couple blocks from home and it was in first gear when it let loose. Always buy a few extra of the set screws so you have them on hand.
rhodyguy
JWest offers linkage set screws that are reuseable. The screws use a jam nut rather than the use em' once and then toss them in the trash ones.
VaccaRabite
@chrisfoley

It was the dark times when I put my Tangerine shifter setup on. At the time I remember talking to Chris about the stiffness, and whether or not I should put a dab of grease on the spherical bearing at the firewall. I don't remember the outcome of that conversation though - so I don't recall if I put that dab of grease on there to loosen things up. Chris, do you remember the talk and the advice you gave me?

Zach
Ferg
Since you are using the rennshifter in conjunction with the Tangerine parts, I'd disconnect the linkage at the tunnel and first see if the linkage in binding somehow. disconnect the two systems and try and find the source.

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 10 2018, 12:18 PM) *

@chrisfoley

It was the dark times when I put my Tangerine shifter setup on. At the time I remember talking to Chris about the stiffness, and whether or not I should put a dab of grease on the spherical bearing at the firewall. I don't remember the outcome of that conversation though - so I don't recall if I put that dab of grease on there to loosen things up. Chris, do you remember the talk and the advice you gave me?

Zach

I don't recall that Zach, but the firewall bearing should have a little grease, both on the ball and in the hole.
SirAndy
QUOTE(cal914 @ Sep 9 2018, 02:49 PM) *

You can feel the stiffness is coming from the shifter ,someone mentioned remove some of the washers or spring ,where do I access these from (pic would be great )

Did you get the heavy springs for the shifter?
It was originally sold with both heavy and softer springs.
I found the softer springs made shifting much easier for me.

Also make sure your linkage from the firewall to the tranny isn't bend in any way.
Both rod ends need to be in the same plane, otherwise you get all sorts of stiffness while shifting gears.
idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.