Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bosch Fanfare horns mounting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gulf908
Guys

I finally have a pair and will be installing them shortly
Does anyone have any pics of these horns mounted to the front panel but with the standard bumper not yet replaced ?
I looked at the Pbase pics of Armando but on his car he has the rally lights installed and I don't know if his GT front spoiler panel gives him any more clearance.
I was hoping to mount these horns pointing slightly down to drain any water away from the electrics - anyone done this yet ?
PM if appropriate for e mail

TIA
Dennis smile.gif
Dion
Dennis I made a small bracket to adapt to contour of this area.
The mount on my oem horn wouldn’t allow it to fit.
However that being said it will not work with all bumpers. Mine is a ‘73.
The GT had a front fiberglass bumper I believe.
If using a steel one the bracket that rests on the flat on front closing panel will need to be notched. That is what i intend to do with mine.
This is my only pic. It was a test fit. I’ll be keeping my Autroche lites in the place they are. Good luck.
live free & drive
In many cases I have seen them put in the wheel-well pointed down and slightly forward, but this has its own issues with muck from the streeet being thrown on them along with solt or other corrosive ice melting compounds.
JeffBowlsby
What the big deal about these horns - I have only recently begun to see these, but not in the context of 914s. Edumacate me please...
bandjoey
Big time popular back in the 70s I haven’t seen them lately but some of them will play the Star-Spangled Banner or La Cucaracha. Think of Frank Sinatra driving a Jaguar through the twisties at Monte Carlo
TheCabinetmaker
barf.gif
gulf908
Dion

many thanks for your pic - just what I was looking for !
I had anticipated maybe having to fiddle with the bracket arrangement but now I know what to look for.

Jeff - the standard -6 horns sound just like VW horns but of two HZ tones.The Fanfares are just that - loud and high pitched - many were used on rally cars of the day and are a worthy after market update for the fab 914-6.

thanks
Dennis smile.gif
rgalla9146
QUOTE(gulf908 @ Sep 10 2018, 08:48 PM) *

Dion

many thanks for your pic - just what I was looking for !
I had anticipated maybe having to fiddle with the bracket arrangement but now I know what to look for.

Jeff - the standard -6 horns sound just like VW horns but of two HZ tones.The Fanfares are just that - loud and high pitched - many were used on rally cars of the day and are a worthy after market update for the fab 914-6.

thanks
Dennis smile.gif

Dennis you are so right about the standard 6 horns. They sound exactly like a
Beetle.....kind of embarrassing.
I've been planing to remedy the issue on my GT project by installing 'euro' horns.
Dion
QUOTE(JeffBowlsby @ Sep 10 2018, 02:11 PM) *

What the big deal about these horns - I have only recently begun to see these, but not in the context of 914s. Edumacate me please...

Jeff, they’re loud that’s all. The shape allowed it to be placed in tight confines.
They’re expensive lately I guess because of their rarity.
I’m using it for safety purposes and kinda period correct for my build.
Dion
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Sep 10 2018, 03:32 PM) *

barf.gif

Sorry it didn’t meet your requirements
Larmo63
I personally think these horns are a great period piece.

I love your idea, I'd do this too if the horns weren't so expensive.

beer.gif
Valy
OMG! There is a set on eBay for $800.
I have a set in my spare parts box and never considered to mount them in respect to my neighbors.
I think I just found a way to get more gas money at the expense of someone's else neighbors.
If someone wants to buy a set, PM me.
gulf908
Valy

you might want some smelling salts to look at these NOS Fanfares in Germany - 1500 euros !

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Porsche-911-S-Bosch...foAAOSwHUhaHAOb

the seller may have them there for quite a while yet ! biggrin.gif

cheers
Dennis smile.gif
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(live free & drive @ Sep 10 2018, 02:18 PM) *

In many cases I have seen them put in the wheel-well pointed down and slightly forward, but this has its own issues with muck from the streeet being thrown on them along with solt or other corrosive ice melting compounds.

This is how they’re mounted on my 930, just behind the headlight bucket, I’m assuming this is how factory did it on the mid 70-80s 911 too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.