Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brakes 1971
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
milwlandrover
I have the transmission and linkage sorted and installed and so far am very happy with it. I am ordering a Tangerine exhaust today (nothing overly load but I want people to know it is a Porsche. It will be just a driver.
I also want to replace the rotors and shoes on the brakes.
any recommendations here?

thanks
mepstein
Call pmbperformance. They are the Porsche brake guys.
walterolin
Agree with Mark. PMB - Eric Shea.

I have a late '70 1.7, similar to yours.

I decided to rebuild my calipers front and rear just to see why the Haynes manual said the rears could only be rebuilt by the factory. Turned out to be another error in Haynes.

You can rebuild yourself, but you won't save much, and Eric's calipers look good.
Dave_Darling
BTW, there are no brake "shoes" on the 914. Those would be for drum brakes, which the 914 doesn't have. You would be getting "brake pads". smile.gif

The factory wanted you to buy new calipers from them rather than rebuild the rears. Those are a bit more complex than the fronts, which is probably why they just didn't want to deal with it. (Plus selling more parts == more profit.) We've known how to rebuild them for a couple of decades, and we have collectively figured out how to get correct replacement parts for most of the stuff that might go wrong.

But PMB is very much the "easy" button for stuff that is done completely right.

A few things:
- Stock four-cylinder front brake rotors are integrated with the front hubs. Replacing the rotors means replacing the hubs, therefore also the bearings and dust seals.
- If you have five-lug wheels, you will need to look at how that conversion was done before you buy any parts. Because often the five-bolt stuff is very very different than the stock four-cylinder cars' four-bolt stuff.
- Post pics here if you have questions about what you have.
- The rear venting clearance listed in the manuals is double what you should use. Going with the stock spec results in an even longer brake pedal before you get some bite.

--DD
milwlandrover
Thanks to everyone for the info. I typed shoes, but meant pads. I hope to pull them apart tonight to see where I am at and exactly what I need.
Cheers!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.