Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What’s wrong with this picture?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeInMunich
Hey guys!

What is up with this MAX DEFROST MOVE UPPER LEVERS LEFT...?? confused24.gif

How the hell can one get max defrost by turning the blower for the windshield OFF (left)?? Is this a (well known??) mistake from the factory?? One can hardly imagine, but it’s obviously wrong, right?

Has this been discussed here before? I couldn’t find it with Google.

Can someone explain please?

Thanks!

M.i.M.
TheCabinetmaker
Think about it, Mike, to the left is for fresh air. To the right is for heated defrost. I don't really think they would continue a mistake for 6 years.
totle
The upper lever is for the fresh air blower (air from outside)
The lower lever open the heater valves/boxes on the heat exchanger from the engine and blows it on the window.
When lower lever is leftmost, the heater boxes close the air from blowing forward
bandjoey
From the owners manual
jfort
People used to complain about these controls in 911’s too. I liked them. You could have warm air down on your feet and cooler air in your face. Can’t do that as well with other controls. Down side with air cooled is that the amount of heated air varies with RPM’s.
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Sep 10 2018, 02:05 PM) *

Think about it, Mike, to the left is for fresh air. To the right is for heated defrost. I don't really think they would continue a mistake for 6 years.

Thanks for all replies, to everyone.

I was thinking, how can we get max defrost without the blower...blowing onto the windshield? confused24.gif

If the top lever is to the left, then the blower onto the windschield is off. How can that elicit max defrost-effect??

Mike
TheCabinetmaker
Top lever is fan speed for the fresh air. Left is off. Right is high. Its 3 speeds

Middle lever controls fresh air to floor, side vents, or windscreen.

Lower lever controls flow of heat. Left to floor, right to windscreen. Heat is turned on by the lever next to the shifter. It has its own fan. The two systems are totally separate.
SirAndy
QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Sep 10 2018, 03:39 PM) *
How can that elicit max defrost-effect??

The front blower only blows cold, moist *outside* air.

The factory added a second blower to the engine compartment that is supposed to give you a nice, warm, dry air stream to your windshield when the warm air controls are *open* and the outside cold, moist air is *closed*.

Hence the inscription on the air controls ...
shades.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Sep 10 2018, 01:29 PM) *

Hey guys!

What is up with this MAX DEFROST MOVE UPPER LEVERS LEFT...?? confused24.gif

How the hell can one get max defrost by turning the blower for the windshield OFF (left)?? Is this a (well known??) mistake from the factory?? One can hardly imagine, but it’s obviously wrong, right?

Has this been discussed here before? I couldn’t find it with Google.

Can someone explain please?

Thanks!

M.i.M.

Mike,

Lie the owners manual & others have explained - it's essentially a split system with 2 blowers - one in the F-trunk for fresh, & t'other in the rear/engine bay for hot air controlled by the floor lever.

They did put "DEF OFF" in the lower left of the panel to eliminate confusion, & the manual is pretty clearly written - especially for anyone trying to read them when for Asian cars! biggrin.gif

IPB Image

I personally loved the ability to put cool fresh air on my face & heat at the floor - especially with the top off & cruising the beach routes at night, or on a long road trip at night - where hot air in the face or freeze in most cars today is a poor setup.

Kudos for having & actually looking up the info in the Owners Manual, smilie_pokal.gif
cuz too few ever bother to look at a manual anymore, when they can just google/post & read it on the net - right or wrong! dry.gif

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

MikeInMunich
OK. I get it now. Thanks gentlemen!

beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.