Ugh
RickS
Who made that wheel?
VegasRacer
That was awesome. happy11.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RickS @ Sep 11 2018, 12:10 AM) *

Who made that wheel?

GM that looks like a Pontiac Lemans wheel. Was tbat a Texas plate?
Porschef
Wow. Looked better than what some guys here have started with for a restoration. When he said "There's nothing in here I need" I think the uneducated hillbilly was looking for an engine. blink.gif

Too bad, the trunk lid letters are probably worth more than what he'll get in scrap...

What a burro.gif
carr914
the A/C unit would have been worth something
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Porschef @ Sep 11 2018, 06:24 AM) *

Wow. Looked better than what some guys here have started with for a restoration. When he said "There's nothing in here I need" I think the uneducated hillbilly was looking for an engine. blink.gif

Too bad, the trunk lid letters are probably worth more than what he'll get in scrap...

What a burro.gif

what a waste
daytona
What waste is right. So many salvageable parts. I wonder how it ended up on the crusher.
EdwardBlume
Nothing in there you need..... like 3-4k worth of parts.
My 914

What a burro.gif

I totally agree. Its also a shame to see a car like that get crushed. I wonder what the scrap value really is these days.
billh1963
QUOTE(My 914 @ Sep 11 2018, 09:00 AM) *

What a burro.gif

I totally agree. Its also a shame to see a car like that get crushed. I wonder what the scrap value really is these days.

Lats one I scrapped (which still had suspension and stuff on it) I got $45
Chris H.
The dash top looked pretty good too. And I needed that engine lid!
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(EdwardBlume @ Sep 11 2018, 05:23 AM) *

Nothing in there you need..... like 3-4k worth of parts.

agree.gif

What a bummer. Door handles, early (!) bumpers, targa bar trim, interior parts, lights, lids, glass, and much more looked like good parts. And it sure looks like worse chassis than this one have been saved.

Doubt it's the first time this has happened to a 914, but suspect the quote above, if posted in the Youtube comments, would probably kill the guy...but maybe he'd think twice about crushing old sports cars.
KELTY360
"I don't see anything there I need."

Well duh? None of those parts fit on a redneck '86 Chevy pickup with beer cans in the bed.
TravisNeff
That was satisfying to watch.
Jamie
This makes me sick! stromberg.gif
BuddyV
was better than the first few cars I owned.

dry.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Sep 11 2018, 06:59 AM) *

... early (!) bumpers ...

agree.gif

Some of the /6 guys would have killed (a Miata) for that rear bumper ...
sad.gif
Porschef
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Sep 11 2018, 09:18 AM) *

Lats one I scrapped (which still had suspension and stuff on it) I got $45

Well there you go. About what a decent set of letters would cost...
mepstein
Yea, a grand worth of easy to remove parts but if you don’t know 914’s...
type47fan
Notice the re-drilled 5 lug rear hub.
MartyYeoman
: WTF.gif
raynekat
Click to view attachment

That's exactly why he is doing exactly what's he's doing....
bmtrnavsky
The dash, seats, and back pad all looked good. That glass and the chrome parts were also all in good shape. it looks like that could have easily been rebuilt and sold. Oddly in Texas, there is a GLUT of cars with no title. They are hard to get replaced here and they were obviously too dumb to sell it as a parts car. Not enough 914's down here. too bad too because *things don't fall apart from rust here like up north.
bbrock
Hell, before he started stabbing it with his forks, some of those body panels looked useful. Just a damn waste.
ctc911ctc
Even the towing hitch was in good shape!
xperu
I agree with everyone, I mean look at those door gaps.............. Much better then mine!!!!!! dry.gif
Martin Baker
I have an un-cashed check for $3 and some change from Schnitzer Steel (Pick-N-Pull) for one I cut up....it was to funny, I thought, to cash it.

I always think of the cars first owner to the day it ended up a mess in someones side yard. I rescued a very cool, totally original 74 2.0 once, from a yard in Napa, Ca. Tough to save them all.

MB
dr914@autoatlanta.com
is this supposed to be funny?

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Sep 10 2018, 09:29 PM) *

mountainroads
My first reaction was "What an idiot." Then I remembered that I myself am almost as guilty. My 1971 911E MFI pump was worn and in need of a rebuild. The usual symptom was gas leaking into the oil supply, and gas-diluted oil isn't very good for any engine. This was late 1980's, nobody local did such work, and back then sending parts cross country for a rebuild was practically unheard of. The usual remedy was to swap for a pair of Webers. The conversion is straightforward so that's what I did. My sin was throwing the entire MFI setup literally into the garbage. That was probably a $5K garbage can.

I bought the same car back many years later and the PO had gone to great lengths to collect restored MFI parts, including a rebuilt correct series MFI pump. I only needed to source the injectors and reinstall the MFI bits.

A friend of mine told me that many early FI Corvette owners made the same mistake. Lesson: Be very careful about what you throw away (or crush), even if your SIGO accuses you of being a hoarder.

- MR
maf914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Sep 11 2018, 02:39 AM) *

the A/C unit would have been worth something

Yeah, that's what I thought. Wasn't someone looking for a DPD A/C system recently?

And like someone on the U-Tube site commented, that rear chrome bumper may have been worth something. headbang.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(mountainroads @ Sep 12 2018, 09:56 PM) *

My first reaction was "What an idiot." Then I remembered that I myself am almost as guilty. My 1971 911E MFI pump was worn and in need of a rebuild. The usual symptom was gas leaking into the oil supply, and gas-diluted oil isn't very good for any engine. This was late 1980's, nobody local did such work, and back then sending parts cross country for a rebuild was practically unheard of. The usual remedy was to swap for a pair of Webers. The conversion is straightforward so that's what I did. My sin was throwing the entire MFI setup literally into the garbage. That was probably a $5K garbage can.

I bought the same car back many years later and the PO had gone to great lengths to collect restored MFI parts, including a rebuilt correct series MFI pump. I only needed to source the injectors and reinstall the MFI bits.

A friend of mine told me that many early FI Corvette owners made the same mistake. Lesson: Be very careful about what you throw away (or crush), even if your SIGO accuses you of being a hoarder.

- MR

Mountainroads,
I know the feeling about junking out stuff worth big bucks today. I junked out a Chev. 283 Corvette motor with Rochester Fuel Injection sitting in the dirt in my Dad's barn. It was in the way & he said get it out of here!! The rest is history. hissyfit.gif
Tom
mountainroads
QUOTE(TJB/914 @ Sep 13 2018, 10:53 AM) *

Mountainroads,
I know the feeling about junking out stuff worth big bucks today. I junked out a Chev. 283 Corvette motor with Rochester Fuel Injection sitting in the dirt in my Dad's barn. It was in the way & he said get it out of here!! The rest is history. hissyfit.gif
Tom

One word: Ouch!

- MR
Literati914
QUOTE(type47fan @ Sep 11 2018, 12:18 PM) *

Notice the re-drilled 5 lug rear hub.

First thing I said to myself was - 'that car has a 5 lug conversion!!' after seeing the front wheel.
Porschef
Watched it again just to see what I missed.

I’ve seen many people document their ignorance and stupidity, this guy’s right up there...

dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.