Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clean up on aisle "yeah, I bought another one". | FI tech day?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Good morning.

Yeah, I bought this last week.

One of the reasons I bought it is to force myself to get my head around the D-Jet system, and that got me thinking about maybe doing a tech day on getting these set up. I certainly have a lot of questions, and I am sure I'll have troubleshooting to do, which has me wondering if others do here as well?

Would there be a interest in a FI tech day, maybe we can find a later FI car so we can compare and contrast?

What do you all think?
Tdskip
Site isn't letting me upload images;

but here is a link to the listing

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-porsche-914-17/
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 11 2018, 05:45 AM) *

Good morning.

Yeah, I bought this last week.

One of the reasons I bought it is to force myself to get my head around the D-Jet system, and that got me thinking about maybe doing a tech day on getting these set up. I certainly have a lot of questions, and I am sure I'll have troubleshooting to do, which has me wondering if others do here as well?

Would there be a interest in a FI tech day, maybe we can find a later FI car so we can compare and contrast?

What do you all think?

!!! And TD scores piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Great buy Tom..congrats

Oscar

Tdskip
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 11 2018, 07:53 AM) *

!!! And TD scores piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Great buy Tom..congrats

Oscar

Hey - good morning Oscar. Hope you are having a good week. This car will be far rougher in person than pictures (aren't they all) but keen on getting her back on the road and learning along the way.

Also, as mentioned, a bit of a forced march on learning the FI systems from their era. So far it looks like making sure everything is healthy is key thing to focus on, no vacuum leaks, sensors actually working etc...
VaccaRabite
Figure out how that amp is mounted to the front trunk wall, and make sure there is nothing trying to perforate your gas tank. Also, if your gas tank was recently boiled, now is probably the time to epoxy seal it.

Zach
Tdskip
QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 12 2018, 08:52 AM) *

Figure out how that amp is mounted to the front trunk wall, and make sure there is nothing trying to perforate your gas tank. Also, if your gas tank was recently boiled, now is probably the time to epoxy seal it.

Zach

Hi Zach, thanks for the response.

What do you like to seal the tank with? KBS?
Tdskip
Inbound!

Click to view attachment
burton73
Looking very good so far. What is your score of 914s it is a little hard to keep up with your collection

Best of luck,

Bob B
Tdskip
QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 17 2018, 11:59 AM) *

Looking very good so far. What is your score of 914s it is a little hard to keep up with your collection

Best of luck,

Bob B

Bob!

I have three currently, this one, the red turbo cars and the blue one. Fair to say that I hooked.

She looks better here than she really is, but its a decent but far from great car.
jcambo7
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 17 2018, 02:19 PM) *

Best of luck,

Bob B

Bob!

I have three currently, this one, the red turbo cars and the blue one. Fair to say that I hooked.

She looks better here than she really is, but its a decent but far from great car.

Looks like my first 914 I bought in Texas when I was in Oklahoma.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 17 2018, 12:19 PM) *

Best of luck,

Bob B

Bob!

That was quick TD..between you two and myself, I think we have a bakers's dozen of 914's.

We have an illness headbang.gif headbang.gif busted.gif barf.gif

Oscar

Tdskip
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 18 2018, 04:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Sep 17 2018, 12:19 PM) *

Best of luck,

Bob B

Bob!

That was quick TD..between you two and myself, I think we have a bakers's dozen of 914's.

We have an illness headbang.gif headbang.gif busted.gif barf.gif

Oscar

I prefer to think of it as a wellness
marksteinhilber
Brake system check.
Fuel system back together and tested for leaks and pressure
Grounds and fuse terminals cleaned, battery in, 12v functions checked,
Clutch free
Change oil
Clean points and try to start.
You don’t need no stinking muffler.

Drive in 1-2 weeks!

Congrats on unmolested 73 d jet. Noir light may help on starting troubleshooting. Trigger points for diet in bottom of distributor may have dried grease and bad contacts.
Tdskip
QUOTE(marksteinhilber @ Sep 19 2018, 03:44 PM) *

Brake system check.
Fuel system back together and tested for leaks and pressure
Grounds and fuse terminals cleaned, battery in, 12v functions checked,
Clutch free
Change oil
Clean points and try to start.
You don’t need no stinking muffler.

Drive in 1-2 weeks!

Congrats on unmolested 73 d jet. Noir light may help on starting troubleshooting. Trigger points for diet in bottom of distributor may have dried grease and bad contacts.

That is the plan, new tires going on today.

Thanks for the punch list.
Tdskip
The electrical system came up. Starter engages, and I've got power to the coil. Electrical leads in the grounds still need to be pulled off and cleaned.

Clutch seems OK and I've confirmed that I have at least reverse and first gear working properly.

Buying replacement fuel and vacuum lines and proper hose clamps today.
Mikey914
I told my wife if it says Porsche on it it's not hording.
So far she's bought it happy11.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 21 2018, 10:50 AM) *

I told my wife if it says Porsche on it it's not hording.
So far she's bought it happy11.gif

Brilliant!
Tdskip
First day of actually picking at her and it's been productive so far.

Brakes came up after bleeding them, good firm pedal pressure. Both rear brakes are dragging but that's not unexpected, and I need to adjust them properly tomorrow.

Engine oil was clean but changed it anyway, that all looks encouraging.

Tested for spark and I'm happy to say that I have some stuff spark. Plugs that were in there looked basically new despite being vintage and had a good color on them.

This car has a side shifter that has a little bit of swap at the rear coupler but better than most, and easy enough to address in any case. Going to leave that alone for now until she's running.

This car has an aftermarket amplifier that would power Giant stadium, disconnected that and while I was in there I cleaned the electrical leads. That made the starter happy and it cranks with authority now.

Headlights came up but no side or tail lights. Hazards don't work, nor do the interior lights are not working either, but that can wait until she's running as well.

Handbrake is very sticky and reluctant to move, I cleaned and lubricated the rear connection to the calipers, and that all moves freely so it's the actual assembly in the cockpit that needs attention.

At this point it looks like the fuel system is going to require the most attention. The tank is sitting loose in its location and none of the lines or vacuum connections are on.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Well, didn't expect to be writing this already, but I got her started. I have to chase some vacuum leaks but very encouraging.
Tdskip
OK, now that the initial euphoria has worn off I need to get going on troubleshooting.

She doesn't want to idle well.

Getting a periodic hiccup, sounds a bit like a backfire.

Idle is too low.

Some white smoke out the exhaust, but only light amount. Assuming/hoping this is just burning stuff off after sitting for 20 years.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.