Full Version: monza exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
milwlandrover
has anyone tried the

MONZA MANTA EXHAUST SYSTEM, QUAD-TIP 1.7, 1.8 70-74
RTM2104 - Replacement/Accessory

Price: $309.95

Description

The monza exhaust has been a proven winner with us for the past twenty years! Relatively quiet, this muffler will increase your 914 's top end performance, give you the sporty look of four chrome pipes, and fit under the stock short valance! Manta also backs their systems with a three year guarantee! To make your installation as smooth as possible, we recommend our muffler installation kit, part number b9142510000a, which includes new gaskets and hardware.

this seems to be what I have on my car now. it is totally rust out. I bought the car a couple months ago.
mepstein
I had one years ago. Made a lot of noise, didn't make any more power. Tips rusted off in a year. Very heavy.
ppccivilian
not a big fan
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Sep 11 2018, 10:31 AM) *

The monza exhaust has been a proven winner with us for the past twenty years! Relatively quiet, this muffler will increase your 914 's top end performance, give you the sporty look of four chrome pipes, and fit under the stock short valance!

"Proven winner" - profitable sales.
"Relatively quiet" - quieter than your old holey muffler
"increase your top end performance" - no one will ever spend the money on testing to prove the claim wrong.
"sporty look of four chrome pipes" - because "chrome", more chrome must be better
"fit under" - after you bend it or cut it.

Those are the best things I have to say about that product.
milwlandrover
That is all I need to hear. Thanks for the great info. still looking for a good muffler.
cheers!
Tbrown4x4
I also hear they can be hard on shins.
rhodyguy
The tips tend to grind nicely when starting up a steep incline.
Tom_T
QUOTE(milwlandrover @ Sep 11 2018, 08:30 AM) *

That is all I need to hear. Thanks for the great info. still looking for a good muffler.
cheers!

If you're running a stock 71 1.7, then the stock muffler & exhaust pipe are still made by Dansk for Porsche & available from dealers, AA, SMC, Stoddards, etc.

If you're looking to tweak power on the 1.7, than ask Chris above whose Tangerine has an ad on here, or Rich Bontempi at HPH (High Performance House) in Redwood City CA - both of whom have raced 1.7/1.8 among other 914s.

Monza, Bursch & other aftermarkets are cheaper exhaust systems which tended not to last too long - especially in the "Salty Roads" states, not fit well, usually weigh more (1-2 hp gain is easily lost by more weight in the power-to-weight ratio), & often have fitment problems.

While you're in there - you should check that your HEs/exhaust pipes are solid, then replace if not (e.g.: if rusty, holed, etc.).

If you're replacing the HEs & willing to pay for the SSI stainless HEs (new Dansk/SSI or used), then you could consider upgrading to 2.0 SS HEs with larger pipes & the 2.0 Banana muffler (also from Dansk) - which will improve your exhaust flow & engine "breatheing" & give a tad HP boost, while not having to worry about the Ex-pipes rusting again in your lifetime.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
The used 1.7 ss heat exchangers are the same ID as the 2.0’s. Just less expensive.
milwlandrover
What do you guys think about Triad. Someone on this site recommended them and I just got a quote

There are choices to be made.
Triad "STANDARD" design has both tips exiting the rear valence. You would need to notch the passenger side to accept the second tip, easy to do.
The other design is called the "SOLO II" whereas the second tip is rotated down so no notching is required. It's a bolt on application.
Chrome tips can be added for an additional $15.00 each.
Each exhaust sell for the same at $350.00 + shipping. I would need a city and zip to quote shipping.
914_teener
Love it:

I didn.t like the chrome tips and I found a messed up rear valance which I fixed and then cut for the dual outlet. Have a pic of it somewhre.
914_teener
Click to view attachment
milwlandrover
Thank you.
Tbrown4x4
I drove to the West Coast Ramble with 2 cars with Triads. Both had the turned down right tip behind a stock valence. They sounded awesome.
milwlandrover
The guy sounded real nice. Youtube has some nice video. I think I'll give him a chance.

thanks to everyone for the advice.
914_teener
Pic with the modified valance. Drove the car today..... I am reminded myself why I still have it.

Click to view attachment
seanery
Here's a pic of Whitey with a Triad and 2 cheapo Pep Boys tips.

If you can play a Windows Media File, here's WHAT IT SOUNDS LIKE.
SKL1
I think Monzas must be made by Fiat... they rust out just about as fast...
My dad had a Monza on his '71 914 back in the day. It lasted less than 2 years driving the car is all kinds of Iowa weather.

Have a Triad on one of my 914's - has the "stealth" tip on the right with a OEM rear valance. Would like another one for my other car but unfortunately he doesn't make them anymore (I believe his wife sadly has health issues)
porschetub
Frankly I was hoping they didn't make the Monza/Pacesetter setup any more darn it I was wrong,I don't know the sound but looks like crap for starters,the Triad system to me is a strange mixture of hotdog mufflers but those that have them report good results on all counts ,I don't know what the Burch offering is like ..some say a little loud ?.
The really good systems are expensive for a reason,I have the luxury of a six cylinder motor and the well designed if not heavy 911 muffler,can't see myself changing that.
mepstein
I'm pretty sure Dave is making triads again.
rhodyguy
Yep. Announced some time ago.
milwlandrover
Dave is definitely still around. ordered last night and he will build before his vacation on Oct 1st. I am looking forward to it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.