Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two fuel filters?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stltri
I have a new to me 74 1.8 with dual carbs, with a long to do list that I'm slowly sorting out. Recently, I have replaced leaking fuel lines coming from the tank going into the filter/pump (that has been relocated in the steering rack space). Next was to investigate if it already had ss fuel lines. Sadly it does not. But what puzzled me (and I may be wrong since I'm a newbie), is that the aging plastic line coming from the firewall leads to what appears to be the original fuel filter in the original bracket (somewhat sweating a bit of gas around the line insertions) before going into the engine/carbs. My question to the forum, is this typical? Can I remove this second fuel filter (or is this not a filter but rather a fuel regulator?) and connect the lines directly going to the carbs? Alternatively, I can replace the "second" fuel filter with a new one since the engine is running relatively well (I can attach pics later if needed).
jim_hoyland
Pics help..... smile.gif
sdoolin
Pics would help a lot. That sounds like it might be a fuel pressure regulator. If PO did not install a low pressure pump, then there would need to be a pressure regulator to bring fuel pressure down to the 3PSI(ish) neighbor hood needed for carbs.

I run three filters in my dual carbed 2056 (4 if you count the sock inside the tank). One filter exiting the tank just before the pump, one filter in line just before "first" carb, then one more in the fuel line that returns to the tank.

Carbs are expensive and idle jets easy to plug, so I believe more filters are better (plus they are cheap).

Hope this helps...
Stltri
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Sep 12 2018, 08:50 AM) *

Pics help..... smile.gif

here you go jim..

fuel filter and pump relocated to front in steering rack panel (i just replaced the rubber lines)
Click to view attachment

this appears to be the original lines connected by rubber line towards second "filter", return lines are not being used
Click to view attachment

second "filter" from firewall before it goes up to carbs, this is the filter that "sweats" around the connection points and I want to replace or remove
Click to view attachment
Stltri
QUOTE(sdoolin @ Sep 12 2018, 11:03 AM) *

Pics would help a lot. That sounds like it might be a fuel pressure regulator. If PO did not install a low pressure pump, then there would need to be a pressure regulator to bring fuel pressure down to the 3PSI(ish) neighbor hood needed for carbs.

I run three filters in my dual carbed 2056 (4 if you count the sock inside the tank). One filter exiting the tank just before the pump, one filter in line just before "first" carb, then one more in the fuel line that returns to the tank.

Carbs are expensive and idle jets easy to plug, so I believe more filters are better (plus they are cheap).

Hope this helps...

thanks for that insight, didn't know that you could have more than 1, i also have the sock (so i have 3 then).

btw, i looked through PO records, it looks like he replaced the front fuel pump once because old pump was pushing 13 psi (engine ran rich), new pump now pushes 4-6 psi.. would/could the second "filter" limit or decrease the psi further? like i said, engine seems to be running ok.. not great but ok.. so should i replace or remove second "filter"? (i keep putting "" because to me it looks like a filter rather than a regulator)
sdoolin
That does appear to be the original filter. I would either replace it or get rid of it. Getting rid of it gives you 2 less clamps in your fueling system. Clamps can fail, fires can start (says the guy with fuel filters everywhere)...
TheCabinetmaker
It's a filter. If that is not ethanol rated fuel line, it should be replaced. Ethanol will eat the rubber from the inside and cause a lot of crap to get "hopefully" caught in the filter, plugging it.
rhodyguy
The metal one comes attached to the pump when bought from the vendor. How did you address the return line issue?
Stltri
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 13 2018, 06:14 AM) *

The metal one comes attached to the pump when bought from the vendor. How did you address the return line issue?

Since the return line is not being used, I'm leaving that one alone. Its not connected to the tank anyway.
Stltri
QUOTE(sdoolin @ Sep 13 2018, 06:00 AM) *

That does appear to be the original filter. I would either replace it or get rid of it. Getting rid of it gives you 2 less clamps in your fueling system. Clamps can fail, fires can start (says the guy with fuel filters everywhere)...

I guess I'm replacing second filter since getting rid of it means I will have a connector with 2 clamps anyway.

Final question, since its a low pressure system, can I replace the filter without emptying the tank (which is what I did when I replaced the lines up front)? I was thinking I can clamp the line from tank (using a padded vice grip) while I replace the filter instead of emptying the tank (does that make sense?).
tomeric914
QUOTE(sdoolin @ Sep 12 2018, 02:03 PM) *

I run three filters in my dual carbed 2056 (4 if you count the sock inside the tank).

6 actually if you're running Weber IDFs or ICTs. There is a filter on each carb inlet. bye1.gif

I run a marine filter right at the tank outlet before the fuel pump which has a clear bowl and purge valve. I also run one at the engine which feeds both fuel rails.

sdoolin
QUOTE(Stltri @ Sep 13 2018, 11:35 AM) *

I guess I'm replacing second filter since getting rid of it means I will have a connector with 2 clamps anyway.

Final question, since its a low pressure system, can I replace the filter without emptying the tank (which is what I did when I replaced the lines up front)? I was thinking I can clamp the line from tank (using a padded vice grip) while I replace the filter instead of emptying the tank (does that make sense?).

Yes, can replace without draining tank. Safetycrats will have much angst, but I have performed similar operations for decades without draining tank.
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(sdoolin @ Sep 13 2018, 12:07 PM) *

Yes, can replace without draining tank. Safetycrats will have much angst, but I have performed similar operations for decades without draining tank.

That's what I do too. I just wrap a rag around it and lightly clamp it with a vicegrip while I swap the filter out.
Stltri
QUOTE(bmtrnavsky @ Sep 14 2018, 07:31 AM) *

QUOTE(sdoolin @ Sep 13 2018, 12:07 PM) *

That's what I do too. I just wrap a rag around it and lightly clamp it with a vicegrip while I swap the filter out.

Thanks for everyone's input. I will have to get one of these plastic filters to replace it. My extra filter is metal (same as one up front) and I'm not sure its a good idea to use that with close proximity to the HE.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.