Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front bumper GT cut out/ now offering the service.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mb911
Front GT bumper mod group buy. I will mod you bumper mod for the GT oil cooler cut out for 475. You pay shipping... Check back for updates on this thread.
mepstein
A mirror image of the valance is what I would like. I’ll measure up mine (lower valance) to make sure it’s similar to yours.
ValcoOscar
Here's an option. @Lucky9146

Don't know who did modification but NICE.

Sorry...I didn't measure.

Oscar

Click to view attachment

ValcoOscar
Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
@McMark
totle
This is my opening for aftermarket RX-7 oil cooler.
I did cut too much so had to add som steel on top to make it fit for the rx cooler
mb911
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 13 2018, 04:38 AM) *

That looks mirrored thats what I will do..

Thanks
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 13 2018, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 13 2018, 04:38 AM) *

That looks mirrored thats what I will do..

Thanks

agree.gif looks factory made!!!

Oscar
dakotaewing
Here are a few more to consider -
GeorgeRud
I just matched the width of the notch in the Getty valance and cut the bumper so it opened to the top of the circular cutouts in the front panel.
rgalla9146
19 3/4" width on the available repro GT valence.
My car is 21" based on the full width (including end tanks) of an exact copy GT cooler
Mark Henry
I still have to mod my valance but my bumper is 19-3/4" x 1-1/2"
Lucky9146
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 13 2018, 05:37 AM) *

Here's an option. @Lucky9146

Don't know who did modification but NICE.

Sorry...I didn't measure.

Oscar

Click to view attachment

Have to say it is pretty cool, and an honor to see your car be posted for a topic along with a couple pictures I didn't know existed. Thanks Oscar beerchug.gif

The bumper is in fact a mirror of the FG lower valance that was performed by an amazing metal worker here locally in the San Diego area. He does it for a living and also works out of his house. Between his own projects and those of others he is always in demand and very hard to get in his queue. I have been fortunate to have him help me with a couple things over the years. A true artist.

I was out of town, so just catching up on things, being away was not able to measure until now. The opening is 20" wide and 4" high.
As an aside the mesh I used is gutter stop available at Home Depot and comes already painted black. aktion035.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mb911
I did 1 sample cut out today. Went extremly smooth. Measured center of bumper then 10 inches each direction. Then measured up 1-7\8" from the bottom and made my cuts. With the reinforcement welded in I will be at approximatly 1-3/4"× 19-7/8" which then makes it blend into the bottom valance. There is also decent space between the bumper and valance to give an optical illusion thus the reason I sized it that way.
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
piratenanner.gif

Ben-

Kool...very appealing GT mod, I think you need to offer this mod as a service.

Are you going to add radius to opening? More pics please.

popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

Oscar
wes
Looking good!
mb911
There is a 3/4" radius in the corners.. And might do a few.Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
This thread should be in the classics, maybe with some cut dimensions of the cooler opening and exit smile.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 18 2018, 10:17 AM) *

There is a 3/4" radius in the corners.. And might do a few.

Yes..I see 3/4" radius on corners however, I was referring to horizontal and vertical sections like Jim's.
Jim's appeared to have same radius as bottom edge of bumper.
mb911
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 18 2018, 09:28 AM) *

Yes..I see 3/4" radius on corners however, I was referring to horizontal and vertical sections like Jim's.

Ah gotcha.. I may do that.. I think why that was done was to make the transition softer.. I will look at that tomorrow .
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 18 2018, 02:47 PM) *

Ah gotcha.. I may do that.. I think why that was done was to make the transition softer.. I will look at that tomorrow .

If you can achieve this and it's not to much trouble I may send you two of mine. I can PayPal right away...thx for taking this challenge.

I see a GB for GT Front bumper mods coming.

Oscar

mb911
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 18 2018, 01:53 PM) *

If you can achieve this and it's not to much trouble I may send you two of mine. I can PayPal right away...thx for taking this challenge.

Oscar

I know I can do it.. Just have to figure out how much time to do these.. I have heard quotes of 10 hours.. I am just not seeing that.. Probably more like 5 hours each.

wes
I’ve got a bumper that I’m planning to have done if you decide to do them.
914forme
agree.gif I have two I could send up.

Oscar, might need to get another bumper chroming GB going also.
mepstein
This might also be a good option for the bumpers that aren’t suited for rechroming. Get a GT opening done and then fill and paint.
I’m doing a set in semigloss black. I want it to look nice but It doesn’t have to be concours perfect.
Lucky9146
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 18 2018, 02:53 PM) *

Oscar

Group Buy! Timing is everything! blink.gif You ever heard of being born too soon? headbang.gif Dang

Well I take solace in that mine is getting so much love in this thread. rolleyes.gif
Love the talent being shown here. first.gif
driving.gif white914.jpg
mb911
Guys thanks so much. I am gonna finish the 3 bumpers then see were we are at.. There seems there is allot of interest in this . I am still not sure what to charge for something like this.. I must also note the bumpers I have here measure in at 20 ga.. That is pretty thin
914forme
Looks like the bumpers you are using where both chromed. A local plater to me said he prefers to to plate bumpers that had not been plated. "Steel was thicker" It seems in his shop they used an acid dip to get everything clean and he said previously chromed bumpers where thinner than a painted bumper. Little did bit dredged up from the early 90s.

20Ga seems thin on the bumper, the last pained bumper I needed to pound a dent out of, sure did not move like it was 20 gauge. So maybe the platers idea was spot on, and the chrome bumpers became thinner based off the process used at that time. confused24.gif
mepstein
The front bumpers are really light. I didn’t weigh them but the front feels a pound or two lighter than the rear.
JmuRiz
I noticed the weight difference too when attempting to get mine ready to ship, I never thought they'd be different and was surprised.
mb911
I think its because the metal is stretched in certain areas. Also remember these were cars meant for major profits.. I would assume that they were at best 19ga

Here is a better picture of a bumper I am getting ready to send out for chrome.. Still some work to do..
mb911
Click to view attachment
914Toy
With due respect to all, most cut-outs I see for up front oil coolers (not water radiator coolers) are way too large with strips being cut out of the bumper and valance. Pic is my cut out of valance only, with air flowing into the "frunk" through the slots cut by joining some of the holes in the body - can see through the screen. Never have a heating problem with my 911 2.7 installed. Click to view attachment
Steve
Bumper wise, I am doing the same thing as Keith. Stock front chrome bumper with GT lower valance. Unless your a concourse weenie or track junkie, there are no cooling issues even in the desert. Regarding the shroud, I purchased the two piece GT fiberglass replica from Getty Design. It was very easy to set it in place, draw around it and cut 1/2” between the lines to mount it.
mb911
QUOTE(914Toy @ Sep 19 2018, 08:02 AM) *

With due respect to all, most cut-outs I see for up front oil coolers (not water radiator coolers) are way too large with strips being cut out of the bumper and valance. Pic is my cut out of valance only, with air flowing into the "frunk" through the slots cut by joining some of the holes in the body - can see through the screen. Never have a heating problem with my 911 2.7 installed. Click to view attachment

I think its really about the look more so then the function..I did the same as you describe on my last build and worked great..

Side note just measured Danny's painted bumper that actually looks like its is heavy crhomed underneath and that is 18Ga.

Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 19 2018, 09:13 AM) *

QUOTE(914Toy @ Sep 19 2018, 08:02 AM) *

I think its really about the look more so then the function..I did the same as you describe on my last build and worked great..

Side note just measured Danny's painted bumper that actually looks like its is heavy crhomed underneath and that is 18Ga.

I agree it does look better and if the price is right, I would be interested in getting my chrome bumper modified.
mepstein
I love the look of the GT cutout. If it was just about function, I wouldn’t have a 914.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 19 2018, 09:25 AM) *

I love the look of the GT cutout. If it was just about function, I wouldn’t have a 914.

agree.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 19 2018, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Sep 19 2018, 09:25 AM) *

agree.gif

mb911
I will post updated pictures. I will do steel cores for 475 and stainless steel bumpers for $550.
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 20 2018, 05:40 PM) *

I will post updated pictures. I will do steel cores for 475 and stainless steel bumpers for $550.

Fair price for work performed.

If I like...I will do TWO steel bumpers.

I couldn't or wouldn't do them any cheaper.

Thx Ben

mb911
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Sep 20 2018, 06:17 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 20 2018, 05:40 PM) *

Fair price for work performed.

If I like...I will do TWO steel bumpers.

I couldn't or wouldn't do them any cheaper.

Thx Ben

Thanks..

I have done 3 now and each one turns out better and better.. I now have a nice proven method.
Cairo94507
Man, Ben just keep knocking the ball out of the park for the 914 World community. He is definitely one talented man. Cheers, beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Sep 23 2018, 02:00 PM) *

Man, Ben just keep knocking the ball out of the park for the 914 World community. He is definitely one talented man. Cheers, beerchug.gif

Its amazing how a person can figure things out of necessity ..

I enjoy doing the work and try to keep everything cost effective..
mb911
All ready to get shipped out.. Version 1 and 2 behind it.. Click to view attachment
ValcoOscar
VERY IMPRESSIVE!!! beerchug.gif

Oscar
dr914@autoatlanta.com
excellent work AS USUAL!! Too bad there is not a ready supply of used not so perfect front bumpers or you could really go to town.

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 25 2018, 10:20 AM) *

All ready to get shipped out.. Version 1 and 2 behind it.. Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 25 2018, 09:25 AM) *

excellent work AS USUAL!! Too bad there is not a ready supply of used not so perfect front bumpers or you could really go to town.

QUOTE(mb911 @ Sep 25 2018, 10:20 AM) *

Thanks . I think I have a gentle men sending me several cores in trade for me doing the GT cut out. That may start an exchange program.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.