Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Powder coating for outer rockers...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
I was thinking about having my outer rockers and rear valance PC'd. They were painted last year by a high end restoration shop. The guy who painted them, decided he didn't need a primer coat. Needless to say, they started to peal and I currently have them stripped down to metal. So, is powder coating a good idea or should i just have them resprayed again?

Thanks,

Tod
Mueller
you just need to find someone with an oven large enough for them....or they can use an IR lamp.....

I see no problem with wanting to power coat them
Ferg
I think they would have to be all metal and 100% straight/perfect as well for the powder coat to stick and look good. No skim coat of filler to hide any shallow dents ect. That's pretty hard to come by in rockers. I'd find a better painter. wink.gif

somebody correct me if I'm wrong though.

Ferg.
Mike D.
I did rockers and valences with a matte black powder coat. They look great.
Go for it...
-Mike D.

P.S. few dents but no filler, ah, who cares it's only a 914 wink.gif
Ferg
QUOTE (Mike D. @ Jun 16 2005, 11:41 AM)
I did rockers and valences with a matte black powder coat. They look great.
Go for it...
-Mike D.

P.S. few dents but no filler, ah, who cares it's only a 914 wink.gif

Ssshhhh my car may hear you, she thinks she's a porsche wub.gif

Ferg.
greenie
I just had my valances & rockers powdercoated , it is a correct statement that they need to be " near perfect ",

the coating hid nothing. Talk to the coater first, you may get away with a little filler.
tod914
I did alittle homework today and spoke with a few shops. It seems a few of them offer a zinc type rust inhibitor layer prior to the final coat. Seems like it might be worth doing. My rockers are a year old. No surface flaws other than some very minor surface rust spots from where the paint peeled without me realizing it until recently. Don't think there will be any pitting, but I'll see what the PC shop says. They said they will bead blast and chemically wash them anyway. Thanks for the responces. Seems like a good way to go. So I pressume the closest to stock would be a satin black finish?

Thanks,

Tod
mistro
Hey Tod, I'm working on the same thing, since my rockers peeled when it was 0 degrees in January. My rockers are off and will be reshot with paint on Monday. I've been asking around, is satin black the correct stock paint, I'm not removing the valences, since there is no need. Rgds, Michael
tod914
Mike,

From what I understand the wurth satin black is/is simular to what the factory used. What I dont know, is if certian years had a texture to the finish or whether it was smooth. Ive never seen a set of original factory painted rockers. On my car even though the body paint is original, the rockers were redone at some point in time. So, regarding texture I am uncertian. The plastic pop rivets for the rockers can be aquired through Porsche. Only clear is available now, but they are cheap. Don't use screws in there. Valances come off quite easy if and when you decide to have them sprayed.
One of these days Mike we should get together for lunch when your work schedule permits. I'd love to see your car if you ever get a chance to bring it down this way. I take it the car met your expectations? Certianly sounded like the one to get at the time. Hope your wedding and honey moon went well too.

Talk to you soon,

Tod
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.