Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bumble Bee Value
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Edge
I have seen a couple of Bumble Bee 914's for restoration lately with out original engines. My question is, If one is a really a nice car but not numbers matching engine, how much less would it be worth.

Thanks,
Bruce E.

JeffBowlsby
I have records of 8 LE car sales with replacement engines. To some buyers it makes no difference. To the most discriminating collectors I see as much as about a 30% reduction. As these cars age, more will lose their original engines, so I think that over time, it will be less and less important to many. But the highest values will always go to the most factory original, complete cars. Anything not original or personalized on a collector car devalues it - the wrong radio, incorrect upholstery, aftermarket parts etc. Not to mention the importance of condition.

The VIN of the chassis never changes - so once an LE always an LE. If a replacement engine is needed, the highest value can be achieved with a similar, period correct engine, preferably from 1974, with FI, and not a V8, Honda, Subi swap etc....
dr914@autoatlanta.com
In today's market if the replacement is still a fuel injected 2.0 of vintage 73 74 then 10% less

QUOTE(Bruce Edge @ Sep 15 2018, 09:04 AM) *

I have seen a couple of Bumble Bee 914's for restoration lately with out original engines. My question is, If one is a really a nice car but not numbers matching engine, how much less would it be worth.

Thanks,
Bruce E.
Bruce Edge
Thanks Guys,
Just thinking(usually gets me in trouble) If there could be any profit in restoration of a not so rusted BB with non match engine #, done correctly.
With no out sourced labor only cost of parts and material. I realize that the profit comes from not keeping up with labor.
I reckon what I am asking is, could I consider a Bumble Bee project a worth while investment if purchased reasonable?

sorry for the rambling, probably should not be think out loud.

Bruce E.
914werke
depends on your definition of reasonably ~
IMHO I wouldn't buy a 914 as an investment
thelogo
Pleasure vehicle yes .

But unless you do german aircooled restoration
As a hobbie or something then cleaning up a BB
Might be a pain in the ass

If you have experience selling cars then go for it beer3.gif

I would think something like a gto,cuda,mustang ,comarro or 55/57 chevy would be much more profitable
mepstein
QUOTE(914werke @ Sep 15 2018, 04:02 PM) *

depends on your definition of reasonably ~
IMHO I wouldn't buy a 914 as an investment

agree.gif
Buy a house, put 3% down let other people pay off the mortgage by charging them rent. That’s an investment. Cars are an expense.
Bruce Edge
Thanks Guys,
great advise on investment.
Investment was probably not the best word to use. To explain a little, It is hobby for sure, but I come from the 356 world. In the past I was able to pick up Porsche 356 projects and turn into really nice cars and sold for profit. Prices on the 356 have gotten to crazy to be fun for me. I have a air cooled restoration sickness inherited from my Dad, got to be restoring something. I am retired now and turning my interest toward the 914.
Like I said thinking gets me in trouble, just trying to figure out a way of having fun and picking up some Walking Around Money.

Thanks for listening,

Bruce E.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.