Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: your opinion on two cars in classifieds
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eman 928
Hi,

Looking for my first 914 and came across two nice looking 914's. One is a 73 2.0 and the other is a 1975 2.0. Here are the links:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=332966

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=331804

All else being equal, which one would you choose? is the 73 more desirable due to it being 2.0 appearance package with the non 1975 bumpers?

Thanks, in advance,
Eric
mepstein
I would like the 73 because I like the original bumper design but both look like very nice cars. If they were equally mechanically and body, you should pick out the one that gets you most excited. 73-74 has always been the “go to” but it’s your money and you need to decide what makes you happen when you open the garage door.
Tom_T
Eric - "All things being equal" is always the big question.

I can't do that on these 2 cars for you, but you or whomever does the PPI for you should use Jeff Bowlsby's condition assessment form at the link below to evaluate that "equal" -

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/zTN_Gen_914CAF.pdf

Also - in addition to the 914 Info section at the top of this page, Jeff's & Steve's 914 sites are good info for 914s -

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/

p914.com (& .org & .net)

Also - do you prefer the late 75-76 big bumper 914s, or the early 70-72 no-tits, or 73-74 tit chrome/steel bumper 914s looks?

As for the two 2.0 motors - the 73-74 GA code 2.0's are 91/95 HP (SAE/DIN), while the late 75-76 49 state GC code 2.0s drop to 84/88 HP (SAE/DIN), & the California GCs with the crapalytic converter & different detuning for smog were only something like 80/84 HP IIRC - which is comparable to the 70-72 1.7s (49 state 73 was 80 DIN, but the Cal 73 dropped to 69 HP).

Also, the total curb wt. is 100-200 lbs. more on the big bumpered 75-76 914s, so the power-to-wt. ratios are also lower. I test drove some new 75 & 76 2.0s when I was deciding on my 73 2.0 during late 1975, & I could tell a definite difference, & felt that it was almost like my buddy's 71 1.7 (which he still owns w/ 71K +/- miles).

So there is a definite power & performance difference, but those bumpers will give you more "bump' protection (5-7 mph range).

There are also a lot of other trim, fitment & materials differences in the MYs, so look at p914.com for the range of those changes (e.g.: in 74> the turn signal indicators went from L & R lights to just one for L&R, along with black button gauges with plastic bezels from glass, tartan fabric inserts became available 75>, etc., among other changes).

And be aware that as of today the 1976 2.0s still have to pass bi-annual smog tests in CA (no 1.8s made for 76 MY), so they're hard to sell here.

All things NOT being equal - at this point pick the best condition, best sorted one you can find - or the best project basis one, if you're looking to work on one.

welcome.png

PS - The 73-74's tend to have better values & appreciation for the above reasons, & probably will continue to, & the earlier 73s all/most had the Appearance & Performance Groups of options included on them in the base price up to +/- March 73 production/sales - so it's easier to find a "loaded" 73 2.0 - but there are/were fully loaded 74 2.0s too, but you get the rear bumper tits & the other MY changes.

Happy Hunting! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Spoke
Both look very nice and relatively low rust. The '75 shows a lot more of the issue areas like the battery tray, longitudinals, and trunk floors.

I'd say you can't go wrong with either.
Racer
Aesthetically, I prefer the small bumper car (pre 75). That said, I owned a 76 and its looks did grow on me. It was very quiet compared to my 70/4. It was also about 200lbs heavier. (bumpers, door beams etc).
Chris914n6
I went with a 75 and backdated the bumpers, so it looks like an early car but with an adjustable pass seat and all the extra safety metal. I'm not a fan of the tits and the trunk reinforcement intrudes on a radiator.

I think the HP difference was just lower compression, which may or may not have been remedied during a rebuild. Building a 2056 is easy and a nice improvement.

The AP can be bought new, but in my experience my feet are too big (sz11) and it rubs the console plus I would rather have the temp gauge in the dash gauge.
914werke
The bumper cores on the late cars are STUPID heavy, but I do like the look of the BUBS on certain color cars w/o the overriders (little tits)
Door beams, necessary if your divin in any city now-a-day. dry.gif
porschetub
IMO the 73 wins hands down,worth the little extra to buy and Toms points seal the deal with the engine,more power and less weight...what could be better ?.
Chris914n6
OK so I finally looked at those 2 cars. Too nice to mod so the 73 wins my vote.
Cairo94507
The '73 appears to be in overall better condition. That is my vote. beerchug.gif
mlindner
Yup 73 for me. Along with the PPI get a good full set of pictures showing rust areas.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.