Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GD FI and timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
So being a carb guy, the mysteries of FI are slowly being solved.

My motor would not turn over after running it the driveway doing some tuning. Turns out cyl 3 was full of fuel barf.gif tested the injector and it was leaking out from just the pressure. Swapped it out for a working spare and that issue was resolved.

I removed the trigger points distributor to clean the 40 yr old grease, when I put it back in it didn't seem like it wanted to time properly. I have 3 Mark's on my fan. TDC-0, a thin red line 7.5, and a thick red line 27. I'm using a 205A distro. 2.0 timing by the book says rpm at 3500 should be on the 27 mark, but when I time it that way I get popping like the timing is off too far advance. I'm not using vac adv only retard. With my timing gun looks like the engine likes 5 degrees ATDC at least when I set my gun to 5 I see the TDC-0 mark.

What am I missing here?

Help!

Thanks FI wizards.
TheCabinetmaker
Sounds like plug wires not in correct order. I hope you relubed after cleaning it. Did you remove the fuel from the cylinder before firing it up?
nditiz1
I did cycle out the fuel with the spark plugs removed. It was not pleasant watching fuel shoot out the cylinder hole.

I have triple checked the wires. It's running good now, but am not sure if I'm leaving power by being under timed. I just dont get why I am not seeing the thick line at the 27 degree. In theory I should be right since the mechanical adv of the 205a is 22 degrees.
TheCabinetmaker
Hmm, you had the diz out? It's possible for the drive gear to come halfway out when you remove the diz then fall back down in a different position. Verify your tdc on#1
nditiz1
QUOTE(TheCabinetmaker @ Sep 16 2018, 12:53 PM) *

Hmm, you had the diz out? It's possible for the drive gear to come halfway out when you remove the diz then fall back down in a different position. Verify your tdc on#1

Looks to be right with about 12 degrees and number 1 pointing towards the view hole. Even if I did change the gear position it would just mean I would need to spin the dizzy more, not that it would not time correctly right?
TheCabinetmaker
If the gear is off by a tooth the VAC can will not have enough travel to time properly due to hitting the fan shroud
TheCabinetmaker
How old is your dwell meter? They can give false readings
porschetub
You said you have no vacuum advance...why?,even if you get it sorted it will be a pig to drive @ lower RPM till the mechanical advance kicks in ,has the vacuum canister failed on the advance side perhaps,you do have the vacuum source blocked off ?right.
Curt could be well right in saying the timing is out ,have you tried setting the fan pulley mark to TDC @ #1 and seeing if the mark on the dizzy lines up the rotor or there abouts,it shouldn't be out by much if correct ?.
Be sure to check your oil isn't full of fuel ,it makes a crap lubricant,trust me it takes little to cause issues,good luck.
TheCabinetmaker
I can't believe i missed it, but you don't say anything about setting point gap, then checking dwell. If you missed this step, your pissing in the wind with the timing. Speaking of timing, vacuum hoses on diz unplugged and capped while setting timing?
nditiz1
The 76 GC motors did not have vac adv from factory only retard afaik.

I checked the points via feeler gauge .016
Didn't touch them when I removed the dizzy. Just cleaned trigger points and relubed shaft and contact pads.

Whether the retard is hooked up or not shouldn't effect full advance right since the vac on the retard side only exists until the butterfly opens?

I did check with can open on both sides and vac ports on plenum plugged.

I achieved rough starting with fan at TDC and rotor lined up with notch in dizzy pointing towards fan view hole.

Going back to what I said, if I set my timing gun to 5 and see TDC then I'm at 5 degrees advance. In theory the 205a should advance the timing to 27 degrees full yet setting my gun to 27 does not show the thick red line at 3500 rpm
cgnj
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 16 2018, 03:52 PM) *

Didn't touch them when I removed the dizzy. Just cleaned trigger points and relubed shaft and contact pads.

Whether the retard is hooked up or not shouldn't effect full advance right since the vac on the retard side only exists until the butterfly opens?

I achieved rough starting with fan at TDC and rotor lined up with notch in dizzy pointing towards fan view hole.

Going back to what I said, if I set my timing gun to 5 and see TDC then I'm at 5 degrees advance. In theory the 205a should advance the timing to 27 degrees full yet setting my gun to 27 does not show the thick red line at 3500 rpm

And that is correct. if you set it @ zero and spin to 3200 you should see the mark.

I time on the flywheel mark. Dial light to 27 degrees and the mark should appear.
Much easier than peering into the timing port.

Carlos
nditiz1
QUOTE(cgnj @ Sep 16 2018, 03:35 PM) *

And that is correct. if you set it @ zero and spin to 3200 you should see the mark.

I time on the flywheel mark. Dial light to 27 degrees and the mark should appear.
Much easier than pering into the timing port.

Carlos

Stupid me I think I figured out the issue. I'm using a programmable timing light. If I set it to 27 degrees then I should see the TDC mark at 3500 rpm. If i set it to 0 i should see the red mark at 3500.
worn
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Sep 16 2018, 05:04 PM) *

QUOTE(cgnj @ Sep 16 2018, 03:35 PM) *

Much easier than pering into the timing port.

Carlos

Stupid me I think I figured out the issue. I'm using a programmable timing light. If I set it to 27 degrees then I should see the TDC mark at 3500 rpm. If i set it to 0 i should see the red mark at 3500.

And if it works as well as one of mine does, the adjustment knob seems kinda flaky. I have had better luck with the more simple lights.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.