Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yet another 73 2.0 rebuild question(s)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Downerman
Ok, cry me a river but this 73 2.0 bare metal is killing me financially (imagine that) and I'm doing ALL the labor. That being said, I have the engine finally pulled apart. IT would appear that the original 94mm Pistons/Cylinders are in place. 039.101.371A heads and the crank has a big fat 51 L on it. I'm going to get the case, heads and crank down to the machine shop to see if anythings cracked or roached. It's the original engine to the car. (Certificate of authenticity) I plan on using the stock rods if they check out and I will also be using the original Fuel Injection system.

The cam is worn and I'm going to have to replace that. I see George has one called "SCAT" and of course their's Jakes 9550 and I see now that ELGINCAMS has a 330-1 that they can get my old one back to IF I go 2056.

So I'm looking for drivability and some performance but I have been down the road to many times with "performance" enhancements that have ended up with some sort of downside. Granted not all but many. My gut is telling me to just stick with the original 94MM set and see if there rebuildable OR buy a new set. The FUN side of my head is saying hey, get the 96MM set and give yourself a little boost. I will not be tracking this car, just some great times out here on the Central California Coast.

I have attached a pic of one of my pistons. I'm thinking toast but wanted to hear what you guys think. Yes it's got a piece missing but the jug is really not bad. Is it a deal breaker or is it worth looking into saving it. IS a hone, rings a process that's just not something travelled much by guys these days? With respect to piston kits I see many but George has one 039198075A960 that he claims has longevity and reliability. It also fits my budget. ANY suggestions on a decent, well proven piston/jug kit would be welcome.

With respect to the heads, I will have them rebuilt to stock specs unless there's a better option that fits my driving wishes and costs. Is it worth it or are repo's a better option/deal? The heads appear to be in decent shape but I know they need a complete rebuild. Anyone make a recommendation on who does this?

Appreciate your time and responses.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
cgnj
Who is George? Do you mean Jeorge @ EMS?

I dont' know how tight your buget is, but H beam rods come with a 2.0 journal now. with a set of 96mm KBs I bet you take at least a kilo of rotating mass off the crank. Look at it as building in longevity.

Carlos
Downerman
LOL... George = Autoatlanta. Sorry.

QUOTE(cgnj @ Sep 16 2018, 04:57 PM) *

Who is George? Do you mean Jeorge @ EMS?

I dont' know how tight your buget is, but H beam rods come with a 2.0 journal now. with a set of 96mm KBs I bet you take at least a kilo of rotating mass off the crank. Look at it as buildinging logevity.

Carlos

saigon71
I was in the same spot a few years ago.

My setup:

New 96MM AA Pistons & Cylinders (relatively inexpensive)

Rebuilt heads (mine were in decent shape with no cracks)

CAM: FAT 440 MP CAM - slightly more aggressive than stock but works well with stock D-Jet.

Lightened flywheel.

MPS calibrated by Jeff Bowlsby to 2056 specs.

I'm happy with the "bang for the buck" performance increase on my street car.
Downerman
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Sep 16 2018, 05:42 PM) *

My setup:

CAM: FAT 440 MP CAM - slightly more aggressive than stock but works well with stock D-Jet.

Lightened flywheel.

Thanks Saigon71, that's good info. Did you send the MPS out or was that something that had to be done at a shop? Also how many miles on those AA pistons and jugs?
saigon71
QUOTE(Downerman @ Sep 17 2018, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Sep 16 2018, 05:42 PM) *

My setup:

Lightened flywheel.

Thanks Saigon71, that's good info. Did you send the MPS out or was that something that had to be done at a shop? Also how many miles on those AA pistons and jugs?

I sent the MPS out.

I've got about 15,000 miles on the AA Pistons & Jugs so far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.