Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dropped the Engine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HerdofCrickets
A posted a few weeks ago asking about the sound coming from my engine, and low and behold I have an issue with my valves... So I did what anyone that has never worked on cars before would do...

Went to Harbor Freight and bought a lift, engine stand, wheel dollys, and other stuff...

Put my ipad on the floor and went step by step through the list of how to drop the engine...

Was actually a pretty easy process. The worst part was my nerves around actually doing it. It really tested my patience and organization, putting everything in little bags and labeling all the tubes and wires so I know where to put them back later...

I drove around Kansas City for 2 hours, went to 4 different stores before I found the right sizes triple-square for the CV joints... Come to find out, mine were so loose I removed 6 of the 8 with just my fingers. That's probably not a good thing smile.gif

How much of this crap do I have to take off the engine before I cover it in de-greaser and power wash it? So much gunk, I can't even see most of the engine!
Spoke
QUOTE(HerdofCrickets @ Sep 17 2018, 10:38 AM) *

How much of this crap do I have to take off the engine before I cover it in de-greaser and power wash it? So much gunk, I can't even see most of the engine!

Congratulations on the engine drop. Agreed, the most worrying thing in doing the 1st engine drop is actually doing it. I've changed the engine twice in my 914. First time was nerve-wracking; the second time was a piece of cake.

To answer your question about what to take off the engine to clean it: Take off the intake runners and throw them in the garbage. Get a set of dual Webers IDF40's or equivalent. Your engine will run much better.

To go one step further, junk the entire engine (if it's still a 1.7/1.8L) and drop in a 2L or 2056cc engine.

I bought a 2056 from Gerald Shaffer for less than $1k to replace the 1.7L. What a difference! I now have to let off the throttle between curves when tooling around at home because I'm going too fast. With the 1.7L it was foot to the floor until the next curve.
mepstein
Good job. Could have been bad if the cv’s came loose. A flipping axle at speed can tear up the car. There will be plenty of “while you are there” stuff to do. Clean everything so you can do a proper inspection. It’s really easy to change the trans lube while it’s out of the car. The good thing is the engine goes back just as easy. All the parts only go back one way and if you get stuck, take a picture and post.
HerdofCrickets
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 17 2018, 09:54 AM) *

To go one step further, junk the entire engine (if it's still a 1.7/1.8L) and drop in a 2L or 2056cc engine.

It is a 1.8L however... with 3 kids under 7 and a stay-at-home wife, I don't think that is a conversation I'm willing to have at the moment with the lady of the house. poke.gif poke.gif
Spoke
QUOTE(HerdofCrickets @ Sep 17 2018, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 17 2018, 09:54 AM) *

It is a 1.8L however... with 3 kids under 7 and a stay-at-home wife, I don't think that is a conversation I'm willing to have at the moment with the lady of the house. poke.gif poke.gif

Most of us have been there. Do what you need to do to keep the wife happy.

What is the issue with the valves that required dropping the engine?
Jamie
QUOTE(HerdofCrickets @ Sep 17 2018, 06:38 AM) *

A posted a few weeks ago asking about the sound coming from my engine, and low and behold I have an issue with my valves... So I did what anyone that has never worked on cars before would do...

Went to Harbor Freight and bought a lift, engine stand, wheel dollys, and other stuff...

Put my ipad on the floor and went step by step through the list of how to drop the engine...

Was actually a pretty easy process. The worst part was my nerves around actually doing it. It really tested my patience and organization, putting everything in little bags and labeling all the tubes and wires so I know where to put them back later...

I drove around Kansas City for 2 hours, went to 4 different stores before I found the right sizes triple-square for the CV joints... Come to find out, mine were so loose I removed 6 of the 8 with just my fingers. That's probably not a good thing smile.gif

That engine is very clean compared to many I've seen! You're way ahead of the project already at this stage!
bbrock
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 17 2018, 08:54 AM) *

Take off the intake runners and throw them in the garbage. Get a set of dual Webers IDF40's or equivalent. Your engine will run much better.

agree.gif Exactly what I was going to say. biggrin.gif
I used to live not far down I-70 to the west of you (Topeka and Manhattan) and had a 914 and a VW Bus with that single progressive carb. barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif
Damn things froze up every time I tried to drive them in cold weather. and they were our only rides to get to work. That was fun. dry.gif
If there is one upgrade you can do, that's the one.

You'll need to pull those intakes, plug wires, and the large side tins to access the heads. I agree that engine looks clean. My first 914 required a putty knife to scrap off 1/4" of sludge just to see any of the block. Congrats on your first engine drop! aktion035.gif
nditiz1
smilie_pokal.gif nice job!

Hope you checked out cuddy_k video on it. It was really good to see it while reading McMarks guide.

Switching over to carbs makes putting in back in even easier. You'll lose a lot of wires to hook back up.
HerdofCrickets
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 17 2018, 10:10 AM) *

What is the issue with the valves that required dropping the engine?

The engine was clicking/thunking pretty loud when running, I took the valve covers off and the first valve on the drivers side has a lot of front to back play with it.

This is the thread i posted about it and there is a youtube video i took in there...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...32972&st=20

iankarr
Congrats on your first drop! Glad the video was helpful. As far as cleaning goes, I’d remove all the tins and use a plastic putty knife to scrape off the heavy stuff. Then, use a harbor freight coupon to pick up their steam cleaning machine. Works great on engines without chemicals killing you. If there’s still grime, hit it with gunk or the degreaser of your choice, then rinse and steam again. I’d stay away from pressure washing. Have the tins powder coated and def. consider switching to a dual carb setup or restoring the FI. It’ll be night and day. Be sure to order new CV bolts and schnorr washers from 914rubber for the reinstall!
johnhora
agree.gif with Ian...forget the pressure washer...they just tear things up that would otherwise be fine...great for decks and driveways just not engines.
Congrats on the powertrain pull...amazing isn't it how everything is right there in one package.
Good luck with the project!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.