Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roof rack
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Grosbard
Hi all,

While the 914 has a decent amount of luggage space, I recently took mine on a 2 week vacation, and I would have loved to have a little bit more space for hauling stuff during that trip. To that end, has anybody tried fitting a roof rack like this to their car? If so, I'd love to hear your experiences, and/or see pictures. Thanks!

IPB Image
Andyrew
Better off with a trunk rack. More stability and surface area.
A couple of the old school trunk/lip style mounts would serve the purpose.

See this thread for bike rack info. Lots of good creative mounting options in there that can transfer to this concept.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...112231&st=0
Literati914
I'm planning on having a roof rack too at some point. Don't really care for the rear trunk top mount. I'd prefer a vintage looking set up with polished rails and wooden slats. Would probably use it for hard items like spare wheel, small cooler, kayak, etc. Also, I've thought about just keeping a dedicated spare roof for this purpose too.
Literati914
this but on a 914 would be cool IMHO:

IPB Image
SirAndy
I have a trunk rack ...
biggrin.gif

IPB Image
Grosbard
I think the rear trunk racks look reasonably nice even when filled up, but I have a feeling I would miss the fantastic visibility out of the rear window. How do you guys feel about that?

I've seen the wooden slat luggage roof racks on 911's and Beetles and I agree they look fantastic. I even think the car looks better with them than without them.

I was thinking the roof box that I posted on the Mini Cooper would probably be attached via rails like this picture:

IPB Image

With these rails, it looks like the box and rails would probably be easily removable for top-down motoring when the mood strikes.
Jamie
QUOTE(Grosbard @ Sep 17 2018, 01:24 PM) *

Hi all,

While the 914 has a decent amount of luggage space, I recently took mine on a 2 week vacation, and I would have loved to have a little bit more space for hauling stuff during that trip. To that end, has anybody tried fitting a roof rack like this to their car? If so, I'd love to hear your experiences, and/or see pictures. Thanks!

IPB Image

I doubt the fiberglass(?) roof on our 914's would support much weight? confused24.gif
AZBanks
How much do you trust the strength of the top latches?

How much weight and aero drag would it take to exceed the limits of the latches?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Grosbard @ Sep 17 2018, 04:35 PM) *
I think the rear trunk racks look reasonably nice even when filled up, but I have a feeling I would miss the fantastic visibility out of the rear window. How do you guys feel about that?

Visibility does suck, but it's not that often that i run it fully loaded.

I'm also thinking about getting just one large travel suitcase that will fit the same volume as the two bags you see in the pic but has an overall much lower profile.

Maybe something vintage to fit the style of the car ...
idea.gif

cn2800
Why not have something made that uses the existing threaded holes and slots for the original ski rack?
Larmo63
agree.gif

The stronger stock (and Porsche designed) holes and slots are pretty stout.

Literati914
QUOTE(cn2800 @ Sep 17 2018, 10:35 PM) *

Why not have something made that uses the existing threaded holes and slots for the original ski rack?

I was thinking about the ski mount holes too.. and If a front mount could be figured out for the A pillar (or top of windshield beam) it would allow one to (be able to) run with a rack AND also with the top off, if you choose. But how does the ski rack mount at the front? I noticed that there was a roof rack offered for the vintage 911 TARGA cars, that utilized brackets that attached to the sides of the A pillars for the front. Looks a little clunky tho.

On the other hand the original poster's more modern set up may just be more simple and stream lined, and could be used with various attachments like a half-basket, kayak holder, bike, etc. I feel the roof and latches would be strong enough (assuming rubber seals are solid), but who knows.
Ferg
I would think this would be a nice option for the rear trunk. I use the bike rack all the time, love the suction cup option.

https://www.seasucker.com/collections/board...cts/monkey-bars
76-914
I have a dedicated rear lid w/luggage rack that I use when my wife travels with me. beerchug.gif
seanery
QUOTE(Ferg @ Sep 18 2018, 10:31 AM) *

I would think this would be a nice option for the rear trunk. I use the bike rack all the time, love the suction cup option.

Ferg,
my buddy has one of those on his GT3 for his surfboards, I'm intrigued by them. I've seen the commercials they run during TDF, but I don't trust the mount...yet.

How foolproof and safe, compared to say, my Thule or Yakima roof rack is it?
Ferg
QUOTE(seanery @ Sep 18 2018, 07:44 AM) *

Ferg,
my buddy has one of those on his GT3 for his surfboards, I'm intrigued by them. I've seen the commercials they run during TDF, but I don't trust the mount...yet.

I've been using them for years now, various cars configured differently each time. I've have had them loose suction, but never in a way that would have risked "loosing" a bike off the roof. You do need to check them every so often. There is a level of trust the first few times, and you will find yourself checking pressure every gas stop ect. But once you learn how to use and maintain them they are bomber.

Click to view attachment
shredtherad
QUOTE(Ferg @ Sep 18 2018, 10:10 AM) *

QUOTE(seanery @ Sep 18 2018, 07:44 AM) *

Ferg,

I've been using them for years now, various cars configured differently each time. I've have had them loose suction, but never in a way that would have risked "loosing" a bike off the roof. You do need to check them every so often. There is a level of trust the first few times, and you will find yourself checking pressure every gas stop ect. But once you learn how to use and maintain them they are bomber.

Click to view attachment

I wonder if a sea sucker could work on the 914, in front of the rear window… my concern might be heat from the engine?

brant
The fiberglass roof panel is really not that strong
Not only would you test the limits of the latches. But also the actual fiberglass of the roof
Steve
What about the roof ski racks that mount to the body?
Click to view attachment
Bullethead
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=350304

Always liked this one...

Click to view attachment
gandalf_025
Anyone that lives near Boston...
I will be glad to donate a later roof that you can use
to try to put a rack on...
It is complete with latches and has been stored for almost 40 years.
I don't want to ship it...

But, it is FREE....
930cabman
Aren't the front AND rear trunks enough? I have yet to make a long distance run, but it would seem to me if not, perhaps you have too much junk
Steve
QUOTE(930cabman @ Sep 11 2022, 12:03 PM) *

Aren't the front AND rear trunks enough? I have yet to make a long distance run, but it would seem to me if not, perhaps you have too much junk

Usually, but if you have a water cooled car or front cooler six, the front trunk could be unusable or very limited space.
shredtherad
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 11 2022, 11:36 AM) *

The fiberglass roof panel is really not that strong
Not only would you test the limits of the latches. But also the actual fiberglass of the roof

I picked this up and it is pretty solid, suction.

CT

Click to view attachment

shredtherad
Click to view attachment

SOmething like this
Montreal914
Don't these suction cups leave marks on the paint? confused24.gif
shredtherad
QUOTE(Montreal914 @ Sep 11 2022, 04:25 PM) *

Don't these suction cups leave marks on the paint? confused24.gif

Not sure
Shivers
The wife, the dog and I went for a two week trip. We had stuff packed everywhere. To put the wife on a roof rack would have been nice. biggrin.gif
FlacaProductions
Shouldn't leave marks if the surfaces are cleaned before use. I use these sorts of things for mounting cameras on cars and as long as it's clean, I've never had an issue.
shredtherad
I am curious if anyone has any insight on the strength of the rear window, liking this mounting point for the suction.[

attachmentid=851081]
ChrisFoley
The window is tempered, so it can probably handle the loads. However I wouldn't be too sure about the glue/sealant holding the glass to the car.
If the glass is well secured, I actually like that a little better than putting it on the engine lid.
930cabman
QUOTE(shredtherad @ Sep 11 2022, 06:24 PM) *

I am curious if anyone has any insight on the strength of the rear window, liking this mounting point for the suction.[

attachmentid=851081]

I would never. On more than one occasion I have seen the adhesive come loose at this location.
VaccaRabite
Glass is a no-go. The only thing holding the rear glass is old butyl.

I posted my rack on FB, and it has a thread here too somewhere.

When you start traveling in the 914 with a partner, and you are bringing tents, a cooler, folding chairs, etc. it is helpful to have more storage space.

IPB Image
2 people, camping gear, bikes, fresh clothes etc, cooler, spare tire, minimal tool set. Every inch of the car was packed. It was heavy. It was not as much fun to drive. But it went several hundred miles like this without issue.

IPB Image
but camping with these guys and biking all over town for a long weekend was worth it. These kind of events are what prompted me to start restoring a bus. For doing multi-day camp outs with a 914 can be challenging - everything has to be kept small - almost like backpacking. Except I'm not a teenager anymore and we want a few creature comforts when we are camping. You can (and we do do it) in a 914, but more storage is better.

Zach

rhodyguy
If you want to transport an 8' ladder with a 914 you only need to take the top off. Then bungee it stable.
Warren914
I'm planning a European road trip, camping for much of it. Extra cargo capacity would come in handy. I've considered one of these...

http://revo-rack.com/language/enus/about-r...ble-trunk-rack/

tygaboy
I made a bike rack mount that bolts to the ski rack holes. This is @martyyeoman Marty's design.
Happy to share the file. If you're local, you can swing by the Red Barn and we can make you one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.