Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Runner up for the jack stand award.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
80cap
Pulled the engine and number 2 intake push rod almost broke on two!
I’ll try to post the picture.
80cap
Anyone have an idea what would cause this? The heads and valves are in good shape. However when I pulled the lifters I saw where the cam is failing also. The " engine builder"(not me) I think did not break the cam in! So I am doing a complete tear down.
I' post pictures of the cam when it's out.
stromberg.gif
76-914
If it's a steel lifter off a 2.0 I have an extra, if you need one. Just pay shipping. beerchug.gif
80cap
Thanks for the offer but I have extra.
Brian
Dave_Darling
If the cam is failing, the whole engine needs a rebuild. You'll find the cause in the course of tearing everything down and measuring...

--DD
timothy_nd28
valve sticking inside the valve guide?
Mblizzard
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Sep 18 2018, 05:36 PM) *

valve sticking inside the valve guide?

agree.gif

Lots of possibilities regarding metal fatigue but usually there is a cause for the failure that is nor 100% related to fatigue.
VaccaRabite
Wow!

Does your engine turn over by hand?

You need to at least pull the head off and inspect the head and piston. Something caused that pushrod to fold up, and it wasn't that it was just worn out.

Zach
bdstone914
Are you running a hydraulic lifter or solid lifter cam ? Custom length push rods out of chrome moly ?
914dave
Brian
Welll.... it’s not a dropped seat. Now we know why it was making that sound.good luck with the rest of the tear down. Do the heads look ok? You can’t clean that case enough. Especially if the cam lobe started to desinegrate.
Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.