Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Earthquake
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ematulac
Just now. Good sized one, here in Burbank.
SLITS
I felt the earth move,

Under my feet..................................

Whooooooodeeeeeeeeedooooooooo.....wasn't even an "E" ticket ride.

Miles doin' his goat gud!
SirAndy
5.3 2005/06/16 13:53:25 34.058N 117.007W 12.5 5 km ( 3 mi) NE of Yucaipa, CA

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/

go to the above URL and click on the BIG red square ...
ohmy.gif Andy
SLITS
We're all gonna die......................
eeyore
It shook pretty good down here in SD...

I hate earthquakes! ar15.gif
eeyore
Wasn't there a forecast about a 6.0 or greater in the Mojave and/or Imperial deserts?

The progression seems to be moving northward.
skline
I love them, well, maybe not love, but they impress the hell out of me. Think of the power it takes to do that. If we could somehow harness that power. Earthquakes have never scared me, I have too much of a fascination of them.
TonyAKAVW
We rolled pretty good here in Manhattan Beach. Things hanging were visibly swaying, everyone felt it. I would be surprised if there's no damage out by where the quake happened.

-Tony
skline
With all these little ones happening lately, I am predicting the big one soon. Let's see if I am right. If I am, we should be having a pretty good sized one that will cause substantial damage in the next few months, If I am wrong (Let's hope) then nothing will happen. I really hope I am wrong on this one.
SLITS
QUOTE (skline @ Jun 16 2005, 02:06 PM)
I love them, well, maybe not love, but they impress the hell out of me. Think of the power it takes to do that. If we could somehow harness that power. Earthquakes have never scared me, I have too much of a fascination of them.

Scott's dreaming of the rumble of the Shalom again laugh.gif
skline
The Chalon doesnt rumble, it's quiet and moves along very smooth. Earthquakes rumble and roll. Sometimes they Slits errr jerk. laugh.gif
TonyAKAVW
I'm guessing that a lot of people will be stocking up on supplies now. Third significant earthquake to hit California this week. Very interesting...

-Tony
SLITS
Wet Winter = lots of quakes. Water table lubes the rocks to slip.....wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Cap'n Krusty
San Bernadino county is a long way from Burbank.......... The Cap'n
ematulac
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 16 2005, 02:26 PM)

Yeah, I meant we felt it here in Burbank.

The wife didn't feel it in Palmdale. Then again, neither did the guy in the cubicle next to me.
redshift
I have AIM up.

I am watching for my California buddies to drop off, I put them all in a new group, called 'goners'.

smile.gif

M
SLITS
Hep, hep, we allz fallin' in da ocean.....my feets gettin wet!
ewdysar
I'm still waiting for "the big one", where everything east of the colorado river falls into the Atlantic ocean.

Eric
skline

It may not be for long!! laugh.gif
bd1308
LOL! Miles, that was good one.

also, i never buy products with poorly-translated mandarin instructions.

on the topic of the earthquake thing, people have predicted that the whateverwhatever fault near KY and the ohio valley will have a HUGE earthquake........dunno bout you but i'm going to my 914....my house isnt even water-tight...let alone earthquake....tight unsure.gif
grantsfo
5.3 is a rolling bump. Things really dont get exciting until youre over about 6.2 . 6.5 to 7.0 is freaking scary and anything over that the sky is fallng we are all going to die!
Toast

We had a 5.3 here in Yuciapa at 1:53pm.

Wish I would have been sitting on the floor. wink.gif
Toast
Tony Hawk,
Glad to see you finally put a Real ride in your avatar. biggrin.gif
TonyAKAVW
Actually, someone else put that in for me. I think its time for an avatar change pretty soon though.

-Tony

Back on topic... I was thinking I have a good amount of flamable chemicals in my garage. Anyone know where I can dump stuff like 15 year old gasoline or used solvents?

Apparently the city here has toxic waste pickup days a couple times a year, but I always seem to miss them.
SLITS
QUOTE (TonyAKAVW @ Jun 16 2005, 03:48 PM)
Back on topic... I was thinking I have a good amount of flamable chemicals in my garage. Anyone know where I can dump stuff like 15 year old gasoline or used solvents?

Drive to SB, pour it in "*"'s gutter......throw a match in when the getaway car is ready.....they'll never suspect anyone but "*" 'cause they are keenly aware of his character. unsure.gif
skline
Costa Mesa has a number you can call for toxic pickup. This week they are having a large item pickup. I didnt think about it until this morning when I saw them picking stuff up all over the neighborhood. I should have put some of the parts cut off of cars out for them to pick up. Oh well, next time.
MoveQik
Earthquake??? Whats that? Whatever it is, it sounds scary. I recommend you put all of your 914s on a truck to my house immediately! I'll store them here in earthquake-free AZ until we get the "all clear". biggrin.gif
carr914
I think you should all send your rust free Cal. teeners to the East Coast before you slide into the Pacific.

T.C.
skline
I think you are right! Post an address so we can ship those off right away. I would hate to see all the hard work and money I have put into the Chalon slide into the ocean. dry.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE (skline @ Jun 16 2005, 03:48 PM)
I think you are right! Post an address so we can ship those off right away. I would hate to see all the hard work and money I have put into the Chalon slide into the ocean. dry.gif

Just to be safe, we should probably send the 6's first. I'll "store" them with the greatest of care.
jimtab
As we say in San Fran....if it aint 8+ it's just a fuckin ride.....
Brando
I think earthquakes in SoCal only scare 914 owners whose cars are on jack stands tongue.gif

I felt it at work. The ground trembled quite a bit. Of course, I was on the floor level of a building that goes down 2 stories..
RAR
QUOTE (skline @ Jun 16 2005, 01:06 PM)

I know what you mean, they are interesting. Same with tornados though I've never seen one of those. If you want to be scared by an earthquake, read up on the '64 Alaskan quake. The ground actually broke into fissures and kibbles of sorts around folks. Now that would be, umm, interesting to say the least.
Pugbug
I had moved to Port Alberni BC shortly after the tidal wave hit there from the Alaska quake in '64. I think that it took the most damage on the coast because the town is at the head of a 32 mile long narrow inlet. It was quite a mess, and flooded all of the lower part of town. It washed houses and many cars away....never to be seen again! Luckily there were no lives lost.

http://www.drgeorgepc.com/Tsunami1964Canada.html
Howard
I've got the long board on the roof waiting for the big one. Figure I can visit Miles and save the airfare.
Dead Air
QUOTE (SLITS @ Jun 16 2005, 03:29 PM)
[QUOTE=TonyAKAVW,Jun 16 2005, 03:48 PM] Back on topic... I was thinking I have a good amount of flamable chemicals in my garage. Anyone know where I can dump stuff like 15 year old gasoline or used solvents?

[QUOTE]

When the ground opens up, just dump it in there.
Do you guys have a name for the resulting island when it finally does slide off?
SLITS
QUOTE (Dave Eddy @ Jun 17 2005, 06:13 AM)
Do you guys have a name for the resulting island when it finally does slide off?

Yes.......Hawaii East
Aaron Cox
i was on a pool deck.... nice little rumble wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.