Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GB door stay pin. Is your door popping?GB closes 10/4/18 midnight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mikey914
So, a problem part is the door pins that do wear. These can make a popping sound when the door is opened. We have machined these to be slightly larger so that they will take up some slop in the old door stay arms if you are not doing a complete rebuild. They make a very tight fit on the new arms and will not allow the pin to shift in the new arms (the old pins tend to corrode and wear over time).

So you can buy just the pins at $8 a set

These just came back from plating (note the current picture shows unplated I'll update tomorrow) and we will be kitting up starting tomorrow.

Best deal if you do on have these is the entire kit at $44. This will do both doors and includes the standard kit shown + 2 new pins.

SO Who's interested?
n2j2ryan
Yes, Thank you. Just the pins please.

DRPHIL914
I did this rebuild as part of my full door restoration last month but yes one of my doors is popping, so I would like to get pins only for both doors, thanks!!

Phil
914Sixer
2 sets of pins please
Olympic 914
1 set of the pins for me also.

I see there are no holes for cotter pins, or grooves for a snap ring clip. do the pins just drop in there and stay?

I don't have the original pins, I have bolts w/ nuts in there now. and they are too loose.
Chris H.
I'll take a set of pins. Thank you.
markhoward
Would like a full kit.
porsche914gt
I need the pins please
Grafiks
I need the full kit.
Shadowfax
Full kit for me too, please. Thanks, Mark!
GregAmy
Is there a "how to" on this anywhere? I bought a set a couple months ago, opened the door, looked at it, and closed the door and grabbed another beer from the fridge instead.
Mikey914
QUOTE(Olympic 914 @ Sep 20 2018, 06:27 AM) *

1 set of the pins for me also.

I see there are no holes for cotter pins, or grooves for a snap ring clip. do the pins just drop in there and stay?

I don't have the original pins, I have bolts w/ nuts in there now. and they are too loose.

These are just a drop pin. Gravity and friction will work well here.
Mikey914
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Sep 20 2018, 08:23 AM) *

Is there a "how to" on this anywhere? I bought a set a couple months ago, opened the door, looked at it, and closed the door and grabbed another beer from the fridge instead.

I'm sure we can do up something may take a week or so, but I can do that.
Mark
GregAmy
I'm quite certain I could figure it out, just takes some motivation to get started (and beer). Knowing in advance what's involved helps with that motivation (but, sadly, not the beer).
rasam
I'll take a full set
Andyrew
In for Pins
ClayPerrine
I need 6 pins please.

Clay
bbrock
One set of pins please.
11tenths
I need a couple pins to replace the screws that came with the car.

And BTW- If you thought the pins that attach the emergency brake cables to the rear calipers would work, think again.

-Harry
mb911
QUOTE(11tenths @ Sep 20 2018, 03:29 PM) *

I need a couple pins to replace the screws that came with the car.

And BTW- If you thought the pins that attach the emergency brake cables to the rear calipers would work, think again.

-Harry

Might want a full kit..
Mike D.
Yes please, I'll take two!
And if you could please reman these for my VW Bus that would be great too.
JK
dlee6204
Interested in a kit
restore2seater
I'm in for a set of pins.
whitetwinturbo
2 pins for me beerchug.gif
PanelBilly
I need a set.
rob gannon
One set of pins please.
carking1996
I'll take the full kit smile.gif
914-300Hemi
Mark,
I will take a kit.
mobymutt
I'd take a set of pins.
913B
I would like a set.
Thank you
Mikey914
PMs sent to all so far
Krieger
I'd like a pair of the oversize pins.
mlmgm
Two sets of pins please
maf914
One kit please. Thanks, Mark.
Beakster
I will get a kit ..Please .... Thanks Mark
rmdinmd
set of pins please.
Niklas
5 sets please.
Firstcar
Mark,
I’d like one set of pins please.
Thx.
-Scott
914four
One set of pins please.
TGM
I would like a kit.
Mikey914
PMs sent to all to this point,
914four
Received my door pins and it fixed the door popping problem I have had for many years. I thought the only way I would be able to fix it was to have the holes welded up and re-drilled to the correct dimension.

The slightly larger pin fixed my problem and now my door opens and closes smoothly just like new.

Thank you 914Rubber! smilie_pokal.gif

Kelvin
914werke
QUOTE(914four @ Sep 29 2018, 07:01 AM) *

Received my door pins and it fixed the door popping problem I have had for many years. I thought the only way I would be able to fix it was to have the holes welded up and re-drilled to the correct dimension.

The slightly larger pin fixed my problem and now my door opens and closes smoothly just like new.

Thank you 914Rubber! smilie_pokal.gif

Kelvin

Curious about this, since the issue is that over time the the door rollers don't roll anymore and instead glide across the nylon wearing it out.
At same time the additional stress pulls the pin/jamb bracket over & over till one or both wear.
The Jamb bracket tends to oval so the sound is often the pin moving back/forth in the bracket.
How does the oversize pin fit without enlarging or correcting the shape of the brkt hole?
Mikey914
The mode of failure is actually galvanic corrosion. It takes metal off the pin and aluminum. My pins still fit the bracket.
914werke
So your refering to the Arm (alum) & pin (steel) wearing?
While I agree that occurs, my question is re the Jamb bracket.
rob gannon
Received and installed pins yesterday. It took care of the popping problem!
Yeah! It’s been driving me crazy for years.
Thanks,
Rob
North Coast Jim
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Sep 20 2018, 01:42 AM) *

So, a problem part is the door pins that do wear. These can make a popping sound when the door is opened. We have machined these to be slightly larger so that they will take up some slop in the old door stay arms if you are not doing a complete rebuild. They make a very tight fit on the new arms and will not allow the pin to shift in the new arms (the old pins tend to corrode and wear over time).

So you can buy just the pins at $8 a set

These just came back from plating (note the current picture shows unplated I'll update tomorrow) and we will be kitting up starting tomorrow.

Best deal if you do on have these is the entire kit at $44. This will do both doors and includes the standard kit shown + 2 new pins.

SO Who's interested?

Since I started this thread and am still looking for a solution I'll take two pins. I already have your kit to rebuild the stays. Hope this works. Do I need to go your site to order ??
mb911
Very nice quality parts. For $44 you cant come close to beating.. Great job Mark
Mikey914
Pms sent to all so far

And Thanks beer3.gif
Larmo63
I'll take a set of pins, please.

Although, I think that click-click noise is pretty sexy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.